• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs: WHY?

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
I think ENTPs are just amazing people in general. At least, the only one I know is.

:p

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm. I used to find ENTPs very interesting. One problem with ENTPs is that they have a short attention span with it comes to relationships, be they platonic, romantic, or just regular friendships.

The idea of being one of an ENTP's 400 friends they hang out with every week simply doesn't appeal to me.

As an ENTP, I meet thousands of people. I have over 1,400 'friends' on Facebook, and I can tell you in length about how I know each and every one of them, how we met, what they're good at... all that jazz.

But real friends? I have about 10. I've been happily committed to my girlfriend (she's INFJ, incidentally) for about 6 years now.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that the ENTPs you thought of as friends or lovers never thought of you the same way.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I have an uncomfortable feeling that the ENTPs you thought of as friends or lovers never thought of you the same way.

But does that make Wyst and Neptune Set's observation any less valid? I think for them that wouldn't change their assessment, merely fortify it - i.e. you can't rely on a "person with a million friend's whose personal investment I can't gauge nor whose loyalty I can rely on"

I think it's a common charge from introverts to extraverts that extraverts seem to have too much on their plate to focus on their particular friendship/relationship. In particular that ENXPs are 'flaky' or hard to gauge 'true' interest.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
But does that make Wyst and Neptune Set's observation any less valid? I think for them that wouldn't change their assessment, merely fortify it - i.e. you can't rely on a "person with a million friend's whose personal investment I can't gauge nor whose loyalty I can rely on"

I think it's a common charge from introverts to extraverts that extraverts seem to have too much on their plate to focus on their particular friendship/relationship. In particular that ENXPs are 'flaky' or hard to gauge 'true' interest.

If it's true than it's true that introverts are cool except for their aloofness and need to have time alone. I also think there's this misunderstanding, widespread, that just because someone appears to have 400 friends. It doesn't mean they do.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
If it's true than it's true that introverts are cool except for their aloofness and need to have time alone. I also think there's this misunderstanding, widespread, that just because someone appears to have 400 friends. It doesn't mean they do.

Meaning, being alone amongst a crowd of people?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Meaning, being alone amongst a crowd of people?

Yeah. I feel conflicted about my extraversion. I hate being alone, but I also hate the alienated feeling I get around other people, which is why I act like such a dickhole. I am essentially uncomfortable and self-conscious. It leaves me feeling very existential such that I am rarely "present" in the moment. Simply delivering what people might want outwardly while I try to stave off anxiety and self-consciousness.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Yeah. I feel conflicted about my extraversion. I hate being alone, but I also hate the alienated feeling I get around other people, which is why I act like such a dickhole. I am essentially uncomfortable and self-conscious. It leaves me feeling very existential such that I am rarely "present" in the moment. Simply delivering what people might want outwardly while I try to stave off anxiety and self-consciousness.

What does it take to not feel alone? As long as you can retain a certain closeness with some people, you are still ahead, yes?

That description sounds like an old friend of mine. I hope he is happy, wherever he is.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What does it take to not feel alone? As long as you can retain a certain closeness with some people, you are still ahead, yes?

That description sounds like an old friend of mine. I hope he is happy, wherever he is.

A real INFJ would now that he's alone, except he lives in INFJ lala land

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

It makes it to where I depend on the few people I feel comfortable with. This is also fraught with problems, though, because I hate feeling dependent.

I think another problem is that I only tend to believe what is in front of me and I have a hard time remembering what people have expressed before. I am very conscious of the fluid aspect of life. Flux.

So, it seems to other people like I never believe them or need reassurance of things that should be understood. But it's really because I am so much in the moment and in the future, that I forget to remember. I am bad at seeing how things actually are. You know?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Pay attention to synarch, he doesnt have infj backup YET, as I have

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
It makes it to where I depend on the few people I feel comfortable with. This is also fraught with problems, though, because I hate feeling dependent.

Obviously if this is too personal, disregard it, but I'm curious...

So does this not wanting to be dependent make you slightly resentful of the few people you do depend on? Or is it comforting, or perhaps both?

I think another problem is that I only tend to believe what is in front of me and I have a hard time remembering what people have expressed before. I am very conscious of the fluid aspect of life. Flux.

I have heard and experienced this with friends of mine. I actually think it's an interesting trait, since I'm not like that. I do see and even feel at times that it can come across as neglectful, even though it is not at all. I usually just have to remember that is how it is, and not to take it personally.

So, it seems to other people like I never believe them or need reassurance of things that should be understood. But it's really because I am so much in the moment and in the future, that I forget to remember. I am bad at seeing how things actually are. You know?

What are you bad at seeing? You mean yourself, or others? Both, possibly? Is it even about people, or situations and things in general?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
So does this not wanting to be dependent make you slightly resentful of the few people you do depend on? Or is it comforting, or perhaps both?

Resentful? Sometimes. Comforted. Sometimes. Mostly fearful that I will make a mistake. Letting myself believe something good and then it not happening, which is what I basically anticipate in nearly every situation. It is ironic, though, because I often go about creating mayhem between people so that I have a known bad outcome rather than an unknowable outcome. One thing I've been working on lately is to just be positive. Or, at least not gloom and doom negative. I always expect the sky to fall. Most often I am wrong. I ramp myself up for battle for nothing. So, before any event where I am feeling anxious I really try to remember that there is no reason why it should not go well. (Incidentally, this is probably why I seem to thrive on a certain amount of conflict)

What are you bad at seeing? You mean yourself, or others? Both, possibly? Is it even about people, or situations and things in general?

I am bad at seeing how other people feel. I am mistrustful.