• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Why do a lot of people seem to have lots of negative views about INTJs?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, RL possible INTJs I happen to know take up .2% of my contacts, same for INFJs. The problem with trying to judge it from % a person knows in general is you are forgetting that it is not a balanced even spread. INTJs aren't entropic enough to not congregate in certain places.

flame

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I must agree with Xander that many of the ideas about INTJ's expressed here are from the ill-informed. Kiddo's quotes for the INFJ in the sample dialogue better represent an INTJ. I work in a field that attracts many INTJ's, and I would least expect an INTJ over any other personality type to think or reason in the way represented by that dialogue.

INTJ's may have the potential to be supervillians, but that is also a misrepresentation and false stereotype produced in our American media. Most Hollywood villians seem to be introverted, socially inept geniuses. In reality, most INTJ's are misunderstood as being "stuck-up" or unapproachable, per GirlAmerica. They actually are quite approachable, and friendly. You just have to be willing to deal with those initial few moments of awkwardness that may occur in trying to interact with them.

Apollonian

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs aren't entropic enough to not congregate in certain places.

*looks around at the entropy accumulating in his appartment* ...

...Hmm, I wonder what corner of the universe I can shove this entropy without violating the laws of Thermodynamics... Perhaps I can develop some sort of social Carnot engine to minimize the entropy loss during interpersonal communications...

*somewhere in his head, he realizes that this thought process is more of a problem than that which he wishing to optimize*

... or maybe NFs are a naturally occuring social Carnot engine!...

*trails off as he goes to compute the sociological probabilities of that new thought, leaving the NFs alone to smack their heads at his inability to see the obvious right in front of him*

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I noticed that the mere mention of the word INTJ makes other people say, "Oh!"... <silence> and then walk away.

What's with that? :huh:

INTJ's are just very intimidating to us mortals :) And the INTJ's I know, realise that and enjoy it :D

umop_3pisdn

MBTI Type
INTJ
In my case, I think it has to do with how Ni works. Often times I'll present my hunches to be more certain than they actually are. People who have personal inclinations against decisiveness tend to find it kind of alarming (how quickly I may come to conclusions), and then they become innately distrustful of me for some reason.

Other times I'll, say, use the topic of conversation as a jumping point, and end up connecting it to some other idea for the purpose of perspective, but then fail to highlight how the two things are actually connected (due to my Ni), leading people to not understand my point, and think I'm not taking the conversation very seriously. This tends to happen a lot, as my Ni can sort of drag me into some conversational tangents without any conscious effort on my part. The association my Ni makes, and appropriate analysis can just sort of fall out of my mouth, and sometimes the connection is very vague or personal, which I think people assume is me trying to turn the conversation onto myself.

I also tend to zone out/daydream a lot, and speak a lot about my own ideas, philosophies and conceptualizations, and all that sort of stuff. At times, I can also be a bit too light-hearted/ glib/ phony, socially, since at the time I'm likely focusing on something of a more internal nature.

I think this either gives people the impression that I'm somewhat thoughtless or don't care about them. It doesn't help that I find it hard to express feeling to others. That, and when people tend to verbalize their appreciation for me, I tend to just feel awkward about it, and forget to say anything in return... or if I feel pressure to reciprocate or to generate phony enthusiasm, I may inadvertently do it in a very mechanical/robotic way, which I can only see as being taken as ungenuine. I think most people have trouble knowing where they stand with me, though this is mostly due to my own insecurity with expressing emotion/weakness and all that shit. Even though I've made strides towards being more humble, ego wise, and being more expressive of my emotions... it's still pretty hard for me.

So, yeah, one of the main criticisms against me is that I exists too much "within my own little bubble" (someone else's words, not mine,) and that people don't know how valuable they are to me. I can see this in myself, and I could also see it being very annoying to other people. Sometimes I find it really hard to connect to reality, and sometimes I just can't find the motivation to do so. I could also see being annoyed with a person of this nature, and not seeing the point in trying to pry them out of their internal world.

In terms of classic INTJ criticisms, I also used to be really stubborn in arguments/debate, and would never concede to defeat. I also always thought I was right, and would enjoy pressing my perspective until the other person gave up and I "won" by default. This also really annoyed my friends during HS, but I've had my ego shattered a few times since then, and am much more humble and ready to admit errors and such now. I think these days it mostly has to do with how I neglect reality for the sake of my internal world

elstefer

MBTI Type
iNtj
Hi umop_3pisdn, its nice to identify, you've put it all down very well and I wish I could contribute more than I have.

As an INTJ gets older I think the attributes can start to shine. Its a pitty it takes such a long time to get through. Although an INTJ gone wrong could be messy and I can see this and wish to change. Developing Se and Fi isn't as hard as I thought but is taxing mentally. I'm about half way there but I think its starting to come across somewhat schizophrenic, hopefully it gets better :(

Personally I don't like the type and often wish I was mistyped or could prove others where. I think this is mainly to do with seeing younger INTJs as I can see part of myself and part of the reason why they probably rub most people the wrong way.

I also think my inability to enguage other people who don't already know me is also a problem.

NightSymphony

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Probably because people recognize INTJs as arrogant and egotistical.

Last edited:

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
This is one reason I like INTJ's. I don't have time for idle chatter most of the time so I like people to just spit it out and have it make sense as well. I would like all my Dr's to be INTJ's. F's annoy me and never seem to just get to the point and give me a suitable solution.
I agree! INTJs usually get to the point quickly, although sometimes....the answer is not what I want to hear.