• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Going to a hypnotherapist

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
So I've finally saved up the money (what a barbarity of the capitalist system that people who can't pay, basically don't get any psychological help, and yet clearly the poorer you are the more stressed you are and the more you need it).

Officially this is going to be about a phobia I have of flying insects (embarrassing, I know), but I think this relates to deeper issues and an obsessive need for control over my "own " space/life/body, which has hindered me in relationships quite seriously, and also in terms of sex. This has made me bitter towards women and exes, especially, which I don't like, as it also goes against my beliefs (I support feminism).

My mum knows a hypnotherapist and had been nagging me to see her about the phobia, so I am taking the chance!

I'll use this thread as a kind of blog or some shit when I feel like posting about the issue, but feel glad that I'm finally taking a step to sort my life out! I feel better just from having taken the decision and committed to it.:yes:

T

ThatGirl

I want to go to a hypno-therapist. Not to cure anything, but just to have personal experience of its validity.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
how much does it cost?
i wanna get hypnotized.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think there must be a thread somewhere about hypnotherapy, might want to check it out. Good luck!

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Ok well I've sent a few emails out and one got back to me very quickly, and seems pretty impressive. feels good to have taken a concrete step!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My neighbor is phobic of bugs and it's a problem. She won't come to my door when there's a bug anywhere near it, and in the summer, there's always a bug of some sort -- a moth on my screen, a preying mantis on my window sill -- or she'll ring the bell and then stand away from the door so I can't see who it is out the peep hole -- so I'll be interested to hear whether or not it does any good. If it works, maybe I can talk her into going. She's convinced that bugs have it out for her and they are thinking of doing her harm. She says she can tell by the way they wiggle their "antlers." (She means antennae.)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
She sounds like she also has cognitive problems that go beyond a phobia.:s or is it just in the moment of panic that she says those things, but when she is calm realizes they aren't true?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
So I've finally saved up the money (what a barbarity of the capitalist system that people who can't pay, basically don't get any psychological help, and yet clearly the poorer you are the more stressed you are and the more you need it).

Officially this is going to be about a phobia I have of flying insects (embarrassing, I know), but I think this relates to deeper issues and an obsessive need for control over my "own " space/life/body, which has hindered me in relationships quite seriously, and also in terms of sex. This has made me bitter towards women and exes, especially, which I don't like, as it also goes against my beliefs (I support feminism).

My mum knows a hypnotherapist and had been nagging me to see her about the phobia, so I am taking the chance!

I'll use this thread as a kind of blog or some shit when I feel like posting about the issue, but feel glad that I'm finally taking a step to sort my life out! I feel better just from having taken the decision and committed to it.:yes:

Hey this is cool.. I have my assessment with a hypnotherapist tomorrow.
I though of making a similar thread myself but was bit withdrawn and didn't get around to it yet.

I am going to mine to help me break down barriers that impede my growth in employment related manners. I have this horrible fear of actually being successful at anything, so I flounder through life taking low key jobs that do not demand I actually use any of my God given gifts.

The cool thing is.. I don't have to pay a cent for it..:D
An employment agency I deal with has received Government funding as pilot project to see if this can benefit people with psychological barriers to finding employment. My case worker referred me almost immediately.

In contrast, I am on a waiting list to see a cognitive behavior therapist (free of charge) and have been for almost 3 months and I haven't even had an assessment yet. this can take up to 6 months and then another 6 months before you actually begin therapy.. OUCH!!!

So I find it a bit confounding that I can get Hypnotherapy within 2 weeks (which I consider experimental) and not cognitive therapy (which I consider science) in the same time frame.
I do not understand why Governments do not see the importance of a psychologically fit population .. As you said .. it's barbabric

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Hey this is cool.. I have my assessment with a hypnotherapist tomorrow.
I though of making a similar thread myself but was bit withdrawn and didn't get around to it yet.

I am going to mine to help me break down barriers that impede my growth in employment related manners. I have this horrible fear of actually being successful at anything, so I flounder through life taking low key jobs that do not demand I actually use any of my God given gifts.

The cool thing is.. I don't have to pay a cent for it..:D
An employment agency I deal with has received Government funding as pilot project to see if this can benefit people with psychological barriers to finding employment. My case worker referred me almost immediately.

In contrast, I am on a waiting list to see a cognitive behavior therapist (free of charge) and have been for almost 3 months and I haven't even had an assessment yet. this can take up to 6 months and then another 6 months before you actually begin therapy.. OUCH!!!

So I find it a bit confounding that I can get Hypnotherapy within 2 weeks (which I consider experimental) and not cognitive therapy (which I consider science) in the same time frame.
I do not understand why Governments do not see the importance of a psychologically fit population .. As you said .. it's barbabric

that sounds cool...what country do you live in?

btw good luck tomorrow and feel free to post here afterwards if you want to speak about it. :)

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
that sounds cool...what country do you live in?

btw good luck tomorrow and feel free to post here afterwards if you want to speak about it. :)

Not in the USA!! :hi:

Thanks and good luck to you too.. I will definitely post my experiences here..

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Had my assessment this morning.

Looks positive.. I feel a good vibe from the therapist and Know I can trust her, which I believe is key if I am going to put myself in a potentially vulnerable place.
She figures I am going to need 3-6 sessions to sort my issues out.
My 1st session I will not be put under..we instead are going to work on a focusing and stress relief practice called EFT (Emotion Freedom Technique)
This apparently involves simple acupressure on various areas of the face and body (Chakaras) ..She swears by it.. Then I am going to learn to anchor .. whatever that means ?? and then we are going to do the hypnotherapy.

What really impressed me .. was that the approach was not all new age like I thought.. but rather very psychology based. We even discussed MBTI and cognitive functions, Cognitive therapy is part of her method ..So I feel less flaky trying this out.