• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Worshiping at the altar of science.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Just a quick, 3 part question:

Part one:
Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife? (in other words, are you spiritual)

Part two:
If yes, why do you believe (in one or more of the above)
If no, why don’t you believe (in any of the above)

Part three:
How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am spiritual, because I feel the world is made up off of energy, some of which is not that clear to us, but present nonetheless. Energy which can be drawn upon and which breathes life into organisms, much like energy can power other things. As for your last question, it enriches my life by giving it meaning and adding to the world, much like a 2D pic stands to gain from being drawn in 3 D.

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife?
no, I haven't seen any evidence or reason to believe in such things.

I would say I'm somewhat spiritual, though I can't exactly describe it.

How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style?
It gives me the realization that I have to take responsibility for my life, and that life is short and it is indeed what you make of it. ''I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul''

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
not until i see some of those and if i do i would most likely just have gotten insane

its not logical and there is no evidence

i guess it doesent

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you believe in a god, gods, angles, daemons, or afterlife? (in other words, are you spiritual)

I'm basically agnostic. There's no reason to believe nor disbelieve any of these things. I really doubt that the universe just magically was made to work in this way perfectly, all of the patterns and functions of atoms working in daily life, so I don't disbelieve in a god.

How do your beliefs (or disbeliefs) complement your personality / daily life style.

Well, I'm not religious so they affect my lifestyle by them not being included in my life. I am somewhat spiritual and enjoy reading some of those kinds of books, but it's not really anything but a hobby.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Part one:

I once read about a distinction that called "belief" and "knowledge" to be the two focal points of an ellipse. This analogy wanted to express that the distance between the two focal points and for example the upper middle of the ellipse is when in balance the same distance. But if you move on the elliptic curve you gain some distance in one direction, while sacrifing some in the other.

That means that the knowledge of things always needs someone to believe in it. That can range from pioneers, who believed in new ideas but were ignored in their times, like Galileo Gallelei. And this can have a more philosophical nature like: we do know that the color red is red, but we cant really prove red; maybe to an animal red is actually green. So the knowledge of the color red is something we believe in.

To answer your question: I do believe in everything that I can imagine. In that regards I especially believe in the power of belief and the impact it can have on human lifes in the negative and positive aspects.

I do tho not know if there is a god and therefore I wont assume that there is one.

I personally have severe issues with religions, who dictate people how to lead their lifes in a limiting or even hostile way and I dont know if those rules they have are really derived from a higher power. I can imagine that they could be and I can believe in it, but the probability in light of recent appearings of higher beings we had throughout earth history is nearing zero.

Part three:

Believing or Imagining can be an attitude that enables you to empathise or understand other peoples reasoning better. The sole attitude to not limit ones imagination to supposingly reasonable logic can enable you to more easy read between the pages.

But of course it can enable you to become nuts aswell. :)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't believe in gods, demons and all the rest. I suppose I could talk about lack of evidence, but fundamentally I just don't feel any need for such things to exists. I guess such believes suit my life as well as any thing.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Altar.

None of the above.

The usual lack of evidence, etc., and the fact that it would be waste of time to agonise over the question of whether or not those things exist when there is no evidence. I consider myself an atheist rather than an agnostic because I don't believe in any of them in the context of science's present understanding of the world, but that could change, in theory. I have no rational reasons to believe, but I can't say they don't exist with 100% certainty, either, because that would be irrational in itself.

It's hard for a lack of something like that to effect my day-to-day life, but I guess it gives me one less thing to blame when something goes wrong. It's so irrelevant to me that I don't even think about it unless someone starts going on about what God did or didn't do for them, and I quietly grit my teeth.

freedom geek

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
I don't believe in god, angels, demons, an afterlife or similar supernatural stuff.

I don't believe in these things because I don't see evidence for these things, I believe that the rational position without evidence of their existence is to not believe they exist (Occam's razor, extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary evidence, etc) and I want to be rational.

My disbelief in the afterlife has increased by valuing of the lives of sapient beings in this universe, I for instance believe that a strong scientific effort should be put towards ending aging, which increases my transhumanism. It's made me more pro-science. It has made me better able to examine claims about the world and understand the world.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you, everyone.

But actually I was hoping for replays like:

“I’m an NT, and I believe in god, because it seems unlikely that random molecular bonds could create a sentient human”

Or…

“I’m an NT, and I don’t believe in god, because an all knowing benevolent god would have done away with the world’s murderers in the same way that you would pluck weeds from a garden.”

Or…

I’m an NT, and I’m having trouble believing in daemons, but my 3rd grade teacher must be one since she’s been teaching at my school for the past 65 years, and she doesn’t look a day over 40. Also, she’s extremely evil.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
science_works_bitches.jpg

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

Part one:

This doesn't neccesarily tie into spirituality at all. One can be spiritual without the typical context. Yes, I'm spiritual, no, I don't really consider such things to be absolute guarantees; the afterlife's most plausible, but it's also quite possible to just be the brain's interpretation of erroneous data as it dies.

I do, however, believe that something created the universe; whether that was god, an inanimate object, or whotever, I have no idea. It could be a creature with no more intelligence than a dog, for all we know. It could be a being that exists outside of our dimensional awareness, or it could be nothing of the sort. Under the information I have, however, it seems likely that SOME kind of semi-sentient being probably had some hand in the creation of stuff, though that's supposition at best.

Note, also, that the only thing required to be classified as a "god", is the ability to manipulate matter and energy beyond our current understanding; in the case of a higher dimensional being, this would occur by default, and there would appear to be many possible gods in that case if such beings do in fact exist.

Angels make more sense if yeu assume they were merely an alien race on another planet created before humans; if yeu read through any passage on their origins in the bible, it just makes total sense that way. I see no reason to believe otherwise, assuming they exist at all.

Furthermore, in terms of 'fate' and such, I've just seen too much and tied it together to understand that... every MAJOR bad thing seems to occur for a reason. Yeu may not understand why at the time, but without such, certain later events would not occur. I wouldn't be where I am if choice painful moments hadn't happened. Sure, they sucked at the time, but they had to happen. Does this mean there's a "fate" in store for us? That everything's pre-set? Is it controlled by god? Or is the universe just some elaborate clockwork machine? I have no idea, I just have the evidence presented so far, which implies that things are being run with some degree of order, even if it looks like chaos until later on.

Part two:

I can't go with anything on blind faith; I require some kind of evidence, even if only suggestive, to at least see the plausibility of whether something's true or not. The typical anecdotal evidence presented by most spiritual people doesn't narrow down ANYTHING, it just says that, yes, they had some kind of spiritual experience; if they had've been a different religion, they would've attributed it to that one instead, so I can't take those ones very seriously.

I believe whot I do believe because I feel it makes the most sense with the information I currently possess, which admittedly, isn't really enough to form anything concrete. It's a "best guess", and nothing more. So, not quite 'true' believing.

Part three:

They pretty much tie in with such fully. I seek to know the truth, accept that anything, no matter how unlikely, is possible, but that only things with strong supporting evidence are particularly plausible.

I do most things in life with that manner, trying to learn and understand more, while being open to the possibility that whot I thought was "right", may be incorrect if the information I was given was misleading or false to begin with.

Anyways, my personal beliefs are kind of weird, but I do believe in some vague sort of semi almost god-like being out there... thing is, I don't worship such either. I don't consider them to be a 'true' god, but rather, just a being with more power to manipulate time, space, energy and matter than we are capable of fully understanding. This doesn't make them god, nor perfect, but rather, a teacher, a mentor, perhaps a father figure if they actually pay attention to us at all. I don't even have proof of that, though.

Regardless, I do pray, but once again, these are prayers that use common sense... to ask for someone to live through cancer or something is silly; they got it for a reason, and they will live or die as dictated already. Yeur prayers asking for them not to die will do nothing to change that matter as it's already been decided beforehand. The best yeu can do is ask that, for the trials they go through, that they are given access to the tools they need to pass those trials, and that they be given the clarity of mind to recognize such, and perhaps a bit of extra strength when needed, at the times they want to just give up. If we were to have everything just handed to us because we asked, there'd be no purpose behind such trials in the first place, unless such exist to "boost god's ego", in which case I would rather fail than boost the ego of someone who clearly doesn't deserve it.

Maybe I'm supposed to learn humility, I suppose I'm not very good at that, for the most part, but I can't see that being the only reason for most situations.

In any case, I'm just rambling now, hope somewheres in that mess I answered the questions XD

EDIT: Oh yeah, this was in relation to type...

Uhm for type, ENTP, this's pretty much normal for a method of thinking. The inability to accept on blind faith is pretty much inherent, so I don't think there's too many ENTP's that are truly 100% religious in the traditional sense... most likely, they will tend to be similar to the above listed; tying to make sense of the information presented as best they can with the tools they have.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
This doesn't neccesarily tie into spirituality at all. One can be spiritual without the typical context. Yes, I'm spiritual, no, I don't really consider such things to be absolute guarantees.

I’m glad someone brought this up, that you don’t have to be fully engrossed in mainstream religious icons to spiritual.

My mom, for instance, doesn’t believe in god so to speak. But she believes that all living things can effect each other through (not prayer, more like focused thought.)

/)_/)
('.-')
/(")(")
ObeyBunny

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I’m glad someone brought this up, that you don’t have to be fully engrossed in mainstream religious icons to spiritual.

My mom, for instance, doesn’t believe in god so to speak. But she believes that all living things can effect each other through (not prayer, more like focused thought.)

/)_/)
('.-')
/(")(")
ObeyBunny

Or avatar!

=D

>.>

Alright, I'll be quiet now...

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx

Part one:

Part two:

Part three:

1. No.
2. There's no reason to. It's needless complication.
3. It meshes well with my personality. Black and white, cause and effect.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I believe in angles, right angles, cutey angles and whatnot.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Part 1: No
Part 2: Occam's razor tells me it's irrelevant.
Part 3: I'm slightly hedonistic and egocentric, and yes, I do try to corrupt others into trying my lifestyle. On the bright side I don't condemn people to hell if I disagree with them. So basically, nothing particular, religious or atheist related is happening in my life.