• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] former ENFP becoming INTP? maturing?

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
I don't feel like an ENFP anymore at all... I wish I did. I fell this void of enthusiasm has been replaced with this reality check, and also desire to do something practical and of value. Also I don't like crowds, being the center of attention, I am Ne, I think, but I feel more anger then passion for things.

I don't feel the need to spread the news around, like I used to... Like ENFP, when I first tested I was borderline ENTP, on Kiersey. It was one point away from F. I recently took the test again and At first I took the test again got INTP- this time. ?

I am not brilliantly intelligent, if anything I have a weak T. But it is there.
Does this even matter anyway?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't feel like an ENFP anymore at all... I wish I did. I fell this void of enthusiasm has been replaced with this reality check, and also desire to do something practical and of value. Also I don't like crowds, being the center of attention, I am Ne, I think, but I feel more anger then passion for things.

I don't feel the need to spread the news around, like I used to... Like ENFP, when I first tested I was borderline ENTP, on Kiersey. It was one point away from F. I recently took the test again and At first I took the test again got INTP- this time. ?

Not INTP. STJ maybe.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
How long have you felt this way? Might it be a phase, or more of a steady trend? I always come back to INTJ, but I've tested different combinations at unusual times in my life. I know some people don't like to use X's, but it's certainly possible that your F and T are pretty equally balanced.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You sound like a depressed ENFP. :(

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
You sound like a depressed ENFP. :(

this is true, but i feel more detached from my emotions. I don't care as much, don't cry, don't really feel anything, some pleasure, some pain, but mostly noise and static. Not the highs and lows I'm used to as an ENFP, this has been going on since 6 months now. Just feel focused, and feel next to no emotion, with some anger at times.

prob just situational due to life circumstances

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
this is true, but i feel more detached from my emotions. I don't care as much, don't cry, don't really feel anything, some pleasure, some pain, but mostly noise and static. Not the highs and lows I'm used to as an ENFP, this has been going on since 6 months now. Just feel focused, and feel next to no emotion, with some anger at times.

people dont just change type as much as they think. pros say that you need to have some really heavy traumatic situation, being a kid and being molested for years or stuff like that. personally i think you need to atleast partly lose your mind to find a new one.

depending on situation people can use functions that they dont normally use, for example enfp using Ti Ne instead Ne Fi, but that doesent mean that you have changed type because mbti measures how your thinking works when in idea situation. those tests just measure the functions that you use at the moment, so if you are in stressful life situation it will most likely give false results.

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
I'd say you are maturing since you are becoming more aware of another aspect of yourself.

But you still seem to base the importance of your aspects in relation to your own values.

I have to agree with former posts, that you are maybe not a depressed ENFP, but a more T aware one.

EDIT; These forums encourage thinking, and not to mention the system itself..

Windigo

If it helps go back and think about what function was dominant as a kid and what you began to learn as a teen/young adult.

For example if as a child your dominant function was Ne and you found yourself playing Peter Pan and seeing the world as magic and you wandered around trying to see how everything fit together and wondering what was possible . . .

Then as a teen your Fi kicked in big time and you began to worry about being TRUE to yourself and you found yourself HATING people who weren't courageous enough to be authentic. If you found yourself doubting people who held back their emotions because you saw them as somehow not being honest in the moment . . .

Then you are probably an ENFP. And if you are in your 20s your tertiary (Te) is starting to mature. You may begin to desire to actually have a purpose in your life where you are wanting your life to "MEAN" something more than just existing for existings sake. And you're realizing that you need to be more practical and organized and start being more scheduled in order for this to happen, and although you go out and buy all the organizing props you have a hard time maintaining it on a day to day basis . . .

Maybe you are also realizing that things need to have logical explanations and you find yourself getting irritated by people who use faulty reasoning. Or maybe you find yourself noticing their illogical use of tense or number in their wording (for example when someone says they have four points and only make three).

Then you are definitely an ENFP learning to understand and embrace all aspects of your type.

You may be needing to be more introverted at this time because as an ENFP you automatically sympathize with everyone, trying to understand their POV to the point that you find yourself automatically agreeing with everything you don't believe in just to find a common ground.

ENFPs need a LOT more time by themselves (than most extroverts) to sort through their values and stay true to themselves. Perhaps you've been overwhelmed with everyone else's opinions and demands on your life and you just need to distance yourself. But you are finding that your friends are wondering what the heck is wrong with you because you've always been the life of the party and there for them to pour their sorrow out on you and now you're acting "weird".

Finally, you may be trying to discover what you are actually going to do with your life to make it meaningful. ENFPs need a "higher calling" to their life. Unlike Sensory types they can't just work the same boring job for years to collect a paycheck. They need to do something that gives back. They also have so many interests that they are good at, that it often takes them into their 30s to discover what they are actually "passionate" about.

Maybe your shadow functions are kicking in and causing you to slow down and discover what it is you should be doing with your life, without the distraction of all your friends who feed off your normally bubbly energy!

Just a thought.

Windigo

PS I apologize in advance for the rambling and spelling mistakes . . . coffee is brewing.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Welcome to the ISTJ shadow club. Isn't it grand to be all productive once in your life? And nevermind the anger. Remember...

Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Besides, the black armor suit is cool.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
If it helps go back and think about what function was dominant as a kid and what you began to learn as a teen/young adult.

For example if as a child your dominant function was Ne and you found yourself playing Peter Pan and seeing the world as magic and you wandered around trying to see how everything fit together and wondering what was possible . . .

Then as a teen your Fi kicked in big time and you began to worry about being TRUE to yourself and you found yourself HATING people who weren't courageous enough to be authentic. If you found yourself doubting people who held back their emotions because you saw them as somehow not being honest in the moment . . .

Then you are probably an ENFP. And if you are in your 20s your tertiary (Te) is starting to mature. You may begin to desire to actually have a purpose in your life where you are wanting your life to "MEAN" something more than just existing for existings sake. And you're realizing that you need to be more practical and organized and start being more scheduled in order for this to happen, and although you go out and buy all the organizing props you have a hard time maintaining it on a day to day basis . . .

Maybe you are also realizing that things need to have logical explanations and you find yourself getting irritated by people who use faulty reasoning. Or maybe you find yourself noticing their illogical use of tense or number in their wording (for example when someone says they have four points and only make three).

Then you are definitely an ENFP learning to understand and embrace all aspects of your type.

You may be needing to be more introverted at this time because as an ENFP you automatically sympathize with everyone, trying to understand their POV to the point that you find yourself automatically agreeing with everything you don't believe in just to find a common ground.

ENFPs need a LOT more time by themselves (than most extroverts) to sort through their values and stay true to themselves. Perhaps you've been overwhelmed with everyone else's opinions and demands on your life and you just need to distance yourself. But you are finding that your friends are wondering what the heck is wrong with you because you've always been the life of the party and there for them to pour their sorrow out on you and now you're acting "weird".

Finally, you may be trying to discover what you are actually going to do with your life to make it meaningful. ENFPs need a "higher calling" to their life. Unlike Sensory types they can't just work the same boring job for years to collect a paycheck. They need to do something that gives back. They also have so many interests that they are good at, that it often takes them into their 30s to discover what they are actually "passionate" about.

Maybe your shadow functions are kicking in and causing you to slow down and discover what it is you should be doing with your life, without the distraction of all your friends who feed off your normally bubbly energy!

Just a thought.

Just a thought!?! It's a very good description of ENFP-development. Very, very good. Damn, I feel all transparent now... :blush:

Hermetic - I'm partly in the same unpleasant spot at the moment. More introverted and passive than usual, not miserable and unhappy, just... lack energy and lack of caring much about it even. It's disturbing.
And I feel a tad silly about it because I should be too old (41) to use natural functional development as my excuse. So I'll vote for the 'depressed-or-otherwise-discouraged,-stressed-out-and-confuse-ENFP' option for why you feel disconnected with your true self.

How old are you? If you have an idea about the life circumstances that may have been negatively influencing your sense of self and of passion, it might be valuable to think about them and how to counter them one step at a time.

Beginning this thread is a great step too! :hug:

Windigo

Just a thought!?! It's a very good description of ENFP-development. Very, very good. Damn, I feel all transparent now... :blush:

I've been studying ENFPs for a long time. :newwink:

How old are you? If you have an idea about the life circumstances that may have been negatively influencing your sense of self and of passion, it might be valuable to think about them and how to counter them one step at a time.

Beginning this thread is a great step too! :hug:

I am also going through the same thing (I'm 41 too!) and feeling very INTPish myself.

Welcome to the ISTJ shadow club. Isn't it grand to be all productive once in your life? And nevermind the anger. Remember...

Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Besides, the black armor suit is cool.

Love the quote! Where do I sign up to get a black armor suit? :yes:

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
I've been studying ENFPs for a long time.

Did you study a ENTP's "normal" function development aswell?

If so, please share your insight!

Windigo

IME most ENTP children are found either outside exploring (and often inadvertently wandering miles from home—without fear of getting lost) or inside reading lots of factual books. If you were an ENTP child, you were probably fascinated by dinosaurs (male/female) and you probably spent a lot of time memorizing tons of facts about them (and other animals). You probably memorized their scientific names and how they fit into their habitat/ecosystem. It may have been more difficult for your parents to get you to read stories about people or fantasy until you hit about 5th grade. You may also have found yourself getting in trouble for taking things apart to figure out how they work for trying to fix (Jerryrig) things around the house.

When you hit your teen/young adult years, your Ti began to try to make some kind of sense out of the many random and seemingly contrary ideas that were fighting for supremacy in your head. So you began to talk to people about their ideas. Without wanting to seem like you didn’t know something, you may have even pretended to know a lot about someone’s specialty by asking a question about it based on one of the facts you randomly found about the subject. Trusting them to dominate the conversation you absorbed all the information they gave you, carefully analyzing and classifying and integrating it into your world view. You may have found yourself playing the devil’s advocate just to find out what ideas people truly believe and why and then suddenly switching sides mid argument. (Part of this is because your Ne sees the validity in multiple sides of an issue and you want to be clear on your own beliefs about said idea). You may have been annoyingly precise about other people’s ideas always trying to clarify and define the terms as you went along without considering their feelings. You probably also recognized immediately when someone (like a teacher or parent) didn’t know what they were talking about and immediately dismissed them. You also probably began enjoying the humor of things that are absurd or paradoxical (such as Monty Python or Mel Brooks comedies). You also probably started exploring the validity of non-conformist ideas (such as researching the ideas of the English/French anarchists of the 1800s) or started engaging in risky/extreme behavior (such as breaking into a castle after midnight or swimming out to drink a beer on someone else’s boat.)

By 25, you probably began to feel embarrassed that your arguing sometimes gave you the appearance of being a “jerk” or of not being some one whose words/ideas can be trusted. Maybe someone you respected said you were not being precise enough (exaggerating a concept) or was tired of your “excuses” for unfinished projects or bailing on them when something more interesting came up. You started worrying that you were earning a reputation for being inconsistent and undependable. Finally you started to recognize the need to settle down and find someone to share your ideas/and life experiences with. In dating however, you have grown tired of "trying people on for size until you get bored of them." So you find your technique to be a bit more business like and to the point because you don’t want to waste your time dating for dating’s sake. You may even offend people on the first date with your to the point questions about their beliefs or statements about your own. But you don't care because you want to find a partner who understands your unique way of looking at the world and excites you with their own perspectives.

As you mature, your last preference (Si) probably gives you an amazing memory in which you can analyze the present moment and compare it to the things you experienced in the past. You may even find yourself remembering things from your friend’s past that they, themselves forgot. You may also find yourself becoming a student of history in order to understand the present and project the future, and while becoming a lot more respectful of conservative ideas than you were in the past.

Finally, you are the sort of person that needs to understand the whole in order to remember the facts about it. Perhaps you had a breakthrough in high school or college when you realized that the more you understood an object’s/person’s place in history the more you would understand it’s scientific/mathematical/religious significance. Or in simpler terms you needed to understand the workings of the entire company and your specific place within it in order to remember the details of your job.

Again, this is in my opinion from studying the ENTPs I have met.

I would say that from what I know of you, Ti definitely outweighs Te because you are concerned with definitions, categories and reliable data before committing to a perspective.

As for the other functions . . . time will tell. : )

Windigo

PS After reading the above I mean that both ENTP girls and boys are often fascinated by dinosaurs, not that an ENTP is interested in male/female dinosaurs! LOL!

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
Oh man, reading this made me remember what a retard I was when I was a kid. :doh:

When my time wsn't occupied by football, video-games or TV - I would spend my time pushing the buttons of other people, get a reaction and then argue/bullshit my way out of it... Don't really understand why I diden't handle my understimulated nature in better ways myself at this point.

Soon enough, people would join me and my devilish acts(charisma?) And it would turn ugly, that is when I think I started developing a corrupt Fe because just as easily ENTP's can play the devils advocate I could play the victims. Which is pretty fucked up considering that the "label" victim was more then seldom placed upon someone because of me from the start. Unless I really was developing a good Fe, but from creating problems just to solve them.

Social experiments was obviously not in my dictionary back then, but it could just as well have been..