• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] Sucks getting a bad rap as an ENTJ

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram

ExxJs in general seem to get a "bad wrap" on this forum. Remember this is a forum dominated by I's and we can be "scary" to people, especially I's. :)

I'm an eNfj and I have mostly EJ friends (although I am partial to I SOs), becuase I can relate to them. People have a tendancy to comfortable with that which is familiar to them and often misunderstand or even repelled by that which is different.

There are plenty of "I hate ENFJ" threads that have come and gone. I generally try not to take them too personally, instead I try understand what people find frustrating about my type...of course there is always the occassional dipshit comment...those I choose to ignore.

You don't have a bad wrap in my book, Biscuit.

omg not more entj threads!

The other one was supposed to be about cuddly NFs *raises hand* and was hijacked. I want my thread back.

heart

heart on fire
Every type gets a bad rap at some point or other. I have to deal with seeing that stupid "Are INFPs Sexy?" thread pop up like a bad penny every couple of months. All threads like that are doing is begging for the INFP haters to hate on them. 'Oh I loved an INFP and she wouldn't let me drain her dry unconditionally! :cry::" *sigh*

Everyone type takes their turn on here. But since this is apparently your turn, :hug: for you.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I really like you guys when you are willing to compromise. Actually the only thing I've found that I don't like about you guys is when/if you get too scared to confront your emotions because you see it as a weakness, which just makes me think you're being cowardly, but most mature NT's have gotten over that. As long as you meet us NF's half way by showing some effort (which is very visible to NF's) it's all too easy for me to love you guys. Le sigh.

Then again I just got told ENFP's are a very annoying people- so maybe you shouldn't listen to me! lol

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How exactly have the ENTJs been getting a bad rap?

Well, I haven't been hanging around the NT Rationale lately, so...

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
The other one was supposed to be about cuddly NFs *raises hand* and was hijacked. I want my thread back.

The other one was supposed to be about NOT wanting to cuddle with us! I'm happy to let the ENTJs have the bashing. It lets my personal delusion that I'm completely irresistable exist for just a little longer. :cheese:

In all reality, we all have a bad wrap rap because we're all human and flawed and annoying (and wonderful and amazing and loveable!)

Go busy yourself micromanaging something and you won't even notice, Biscuit!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Every type has negative aspects that it gets a bad rap for. None of these traits apply universally to every member of that type group, but the stereotypes do come from somewhere.

As soon as someone points them out, though, invariably members of that type show up whining about how it's a filthy lie/nefarious conspiracy.

There are bad things about ENTPs that aren't true of me, but that doesn't mean they aren't true of ENTPs in general.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Every type has negative aspects that it gets a bad rap for. None of these traits apply universally to every member of that type group, but the stereotypes do come from somewhere.

As soon as someone points them out, though, invariably members of that type show up whining about how it's a filthy lie/nefarious conspiracy.

There are bad things about ENTPs that aren't true of me, but that doesn't mean they aren't true of ENTPs in general.

I generally agree with this.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

A lot of those stereotypes stem from misunderstanding, though.

I find that when individuals of a type explain why certain behavior that may be perceived negatively from members of another type is not actually intended to be malicious or spiteful and not considered inconsiderate from their perspective is often how we gain understanding.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
These stereotypes don't even actually exist outside of the internet. Nobody calls my INFP friend emo, or my ESFP friend a hedonist IRL.

It's only when you analyze these things online that you start to create these stereotypes. When you don't understand a person's thought processes (when they're especially different from your own) you likely wont even notice they are occurring.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
These stereotypes don't even actually exist outside of the internet. Nobody calls my INFP friend emo, or my ESFP friend a hedonist IRL.

Um no, the internet has nothing to do with it. Those stereotypes exist among anyone who knows about typology and discusses it regularly with others. There's no reason this has to occur on the internet.

Most books on the topic (if you've even read any) will explain both the positive and negative sides of each type, which will show you where the stereotypes come from.

It's only when you analyze these things online that you start to create these stereotypes. When you don't understand a person's thought processes (when they're especially different from your own) you likely wont even notice they are occurring.

I don't even remotely understand your insistence that stereotyping people based on behavioral trends can only occur on the internet. That's really out of left field.

Personality stereotypes occur all the time and exist in people's minds even if they don't know typology terms. Typology is really just more sophisticated name-calling. Everyone knows what it means when you say "That guy is a jerk" or "She's such a brainiac" or "He's really got his head in the clouds!"

We all stereotype each other based on past experiences of behavioral trends all the time, and from these experiences we build archetypes to describe rough representations of arbitrarily defined groups of personalities.

And in this particular classification system, the ENTJ archetype is defined as the in-charge executive type, which frequently (though not always) results in a tendency to micromanage. That's in the definition of Te, which you'd know if you'd bothered to read any of the literature on the topic of typology.

Instead, because you're pissed that a characteristic you don't like is typical of your archetype, you've pulled the nonsensical idea that Si is "required for micromanagement" completely out of your ass and continued to harp on "BUT OMG Ni DOESN'T LIKE DETAILS!!!!" for post after post while completely missing the point that the micromanaging tendency is far more related to Te/Fe than it is to any introverted perception faculty.

I mean, think about it. What is micromanaging? If you think about it for a minute it's just intuitively ridiculous to imply that any external organization process could be rooted more in introverted perception (which deals with interpreting personal meaning) than in extroverted judgment, which deals with--you guessed it--organizing the external world.

Now, when you take Te's natural micromanaging tendencies and combine them with Si's preference for sticking to what it already knows, you get a worse case of micromanaging than you do when you combine it with Ni's preference for seeing numerous different angles...

...but this doesn't change the central point that the act of organizing the external environment is inherently associated with a Te/Fe attitude in the first place, not Si/Ni.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Really? And whining via starting a thread is going to help? Every type has an I Hate <type> Thread, every type has someone bitching that they can't get laid, can't find a relationship, can't finish school, can't get along with their parents, can't find a job...etc BECAUSE OF THEIR TYPE. Or because of someone else and their type. Or you hate me because of my type. You don't find this ridiculous? Most of the world doesn't know or care about MBTI. It's your turn. Take it like an ENTJ. Go invade a small country or do a hostile corporation takeover or something.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Really who cares. You'll be more successful than those ENTP deadbeats anyways.

*Waits for the successful ENTPs to get outraged*

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ :laugh:

you know, by complaining you're showing totally NON-ENTJ weakness :devil:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
...All the hate threads are a load of crap. Type has nothing to do with someone being an asshat.

Oooo...wait.

Everyone who posts hate threads are asshats.

...Or even better. Everyone is an asshat. Now let's move on. :rolli:

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I encountered someone on a different forum who insisted that an asshole in their life was an ENTJ, even though the asshole in question self-identifies as INFJ.

In MBTI circles, the ENTJ type just seems to be the garbage bin for everyone's issues. Seems is the key word here-- the ISTJs unfortunately get that illustrious honor. Lucky them.