• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTPs vs. ISTPs: What Makes You So Different?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
ISTP don't have souls. ;)

However they are grand watching your back in a fight...as long as they don't unnecessarily hop in and kill somebody.
Eh, the ISTPs I know don't believe in souls, as do many INTPs I know.

But, hahahaha, you kinda have a point, I would say that the ISTPs I know are militant atheists, whereas the INTPs I know are kind of apathetic agnostics.

And, the three ISTPs I know do like to shoot guns, and kill creatures. :cry:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Look at how they accumulate evidence when making a decision.

ISTPs are all about tangibility - what can be measured, what is known through direct observation (empiricism). They are less likely to trust hypothetical scenarios which appear truthful, but are without real-world application. It's within the application that ISTPs are different.

INTPs are generally less concerned with reproducible variables, and are more interested in investigating as many different intellectual ends as is available - even those that have no apparent value to the immediate discussion at hand. It's in the exploration that INTPs are different.

ISTPs apply.
INTPs explore.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Look at how they accumulate evidence when making a decision.

ISTPs are all about tangibility - what can be measured, what is known through direct observation (empiricism). They are less likely to trust hypothetical scenarios which appear truthful, but are without real-world application. It's within the application that ISTPs are different.

INTPs are generally less concerned with reproducible variables, and are more interested in investigating as many different intellectual ends as is available - even those that have no apparent value to the immediate discussion at hand. It's in the exploration that INTPs are different.

ISTPs apply.
INTPs explore.
Great post!

:)

The last conversation I had with this ISTP he mentioned how the only way, or best way to know anything was through empiricism.

But, to the last part of your post.

ISTPs explore.... A LOT!!!

:/

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
But, to the last part of your post.

ISTPs explore.... A LOT!!!

:/

Good thought.

How do ISTPs explore? Through application of acquired knowledge. They're more like INTJs in this respect.

INTPs explore for the sake of it. ISTPs explore because they have a purpose in mind.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We believe in reality. So instead of trying to understand whats behind this illusion we call reality, we learn how to play with this illusion.

R

Riva

ISTPs as I have noticed have a sharp look with Intense eyes.

INTPs on the other hand look lost, not so intense and look lost.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISTPs as I have noticed have a sharp look with Intense eyes.

INTPs on the other hand look lost, not so intense and look lost.

lol people say this to me

R

Riva

That attribute I have only noticed (Si) in ISTP males. Females look just observant.

But the INTP look I mentioned is shared by both men and women. The women also look lethargic and sexually inactive.

Sorry...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
LOL!!!

"lethargic and sexually inactive"

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
^No, not at all accurate, the "anatomy of an ISTP"

Do you even know any ISTPs?!!?

:thelook:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you are probably confusing that, then, with the tendency of INTP to get lost in a bunch of abstract tangents which might or might not be apparent.

I think T anchored to an S function is a lot more visible than T anchored to an N. Like Randomity's later anecdote suggests, ISTP is visibly pragmatic (e.g., dropping a pointless/useless discussion), while N often feels the need to explore all the zillions of pathways even if they see where it is going, because there's value to the type in that exploration process.

I think ISTPs get a lot more done that INTPs, at least in the tangible world; applications of Ti are made externally. INTPs can get pretty anal about the abstracted thinking process itself, regardless of its practical applicability... the abstracted concepts often never get practical application, they exist for themselves.

I like the way you worded this. Se perceives something and Ti wants to make it work. That's its main thrust.

Ne perceives lots of things and wants to make them all work better. So there's no real ending.

Sorry, "in the theory"?

I've gotten less sleep than I would have liked, and your meaning escapes me.

If you care to elucidate, what do you mean?

I know "they" say that Ns are more prone to theorize and care about abstract things, but I do not necessarily see this "fact" manifesting in the ISTP type.

Their predilection to think, think, think, think about everything and anything, or most things ;) makes it difficult for me to conclude that they don't engage in a lot of abstract thinking!

Well, Se never stops, although it will get something fixed and move on, to another thing to fix. Consequently, my ISTP (at least) feels almost ADD; it's hard for him to turn off the Ti/Se working duo. But you mustn't forgeth the teriary Ni! In older/more mature ISTPs, the Ni and Ti is dauntless on getting shit done. You've got the practical S, then innovative N, and the workhorse Ti at your disposal.

I can have abstract discussions with mine, up to a point. Se only tolerates so much theoretizing; yet his Ti/Ni can be more insightful than my Ni/Ti.

I'd imagine that's a bit different than an INTPs Ti/Ne/Si. I'd guess Si would just keep or reject explorations that Ti/Ne came up with based on experience. ? Hence the stereotypical lackadaisical intp--->caught up in Si land? Just pondering a bit. I don't know many intps irl.