• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTPs vs. ISTPs: What Makes You So Different?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
`
I've been thinking about this for a while, and it puzzles me.

I've known three ISTPs, and quite a few INTPs and I am having trouble differentiating the two.

Could it be that the ISTPs I know happen to be innately ridiculously intelligent with more pronounced(?) or well developed Ti than some of the INTPs I know?

Regardless, what are the telltale signs that distinguish one from the other?

What makes this more puzzling for me is that, I know my being an ENFP as opposed to an ESFP makes kind of a huge difference.

:confused:

So in this case, preferring or using Ne versus Se manifests in clearly distinctive ways, but for IXTPs such does not seem to be the case!!!

So, please, dear internet friends, share your thoughts/experiences/observations.

Many thanks.

S. Sapienne

:)

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Well I'm currently with an ISTP (although the more I think about it, the more I reckon she's ISFP) and our interaction styles are different. She's warmer, assertive and friendlier I am. I think the Ne makes me more detached from my environment and the people in it. Plus I have crippling shyness towards strangers I barely know. She isn't shy at all, treating strangers and familiar folk the same. I think Se makes ISTPs seem more engaged than INTPs.

As an Ne-user, distinguishing the two should be easy. I've found with the ISXP that while she appreciates my way of thinking, she finds it hard to keep up. She naturally finds it hard to read into things, notice patterns and she has crap memory, favouring Se over Si. I often find an Ne-user is more likely to pick up on subtley like deadpan or irony, whilst I had to teach the ISXP my style. She's learning, bless her. But like I said, I'm doubting her type.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Could it be that the ISTPs I know happen to be innately ridiculously intelligent with more pronounced(?) or well developed Ti than some of the INTPs I know?

I think it may be related to this, however a bit in the opposite direction as you seem to imply. I think it's less likely that ISTPs over-rely on Ti as much as INTPs do, at the expense of all their other functions, which can make INTPs seem far more neurotic, maladjusted, and locked into bad ways of thinking, while the ISTPs don't seem to over value Ti and thus appear far more laid back and well adjusted, so their intelligence doesn't manifest itself negatively.

It can be tough to tell the two apart really. In your example, even though ENFP/ESFP is one letter off, you're using two different dominant functions while the ITPs use the same one, so the difference is going to be how they interact with the world and where they find their external stimulation.

ISTPs will tend to have a more visceral, physical reactions to the world and engage it "as is" or with an intent to change it's physical characteristics, while the INTPs will view the world in terms of relationships, connections, similarities, differences, possibilities that are suggested by the world itself.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure exactly how, but we do feel very different to me - mainly for the less well-adjusted INTPs, though. The ones who are more...likeable also seem much less alien to me. More like people than type stereotypes.

I don't think it's because of excessive Ne; it seems to be instead an over-reliance on Ti (which some istps can share, to be fair). It's probably easier to use Se to "relax" Ti than it is to use Ne...maybe Ne is encouraging the unfortunate tendency of some N's to play up the "outcast" role. I think this may account for some of the differences.

One noticeable difference here is that INTPs will dig an argument to the ground whether or not they're clearly right/wrong. The ISTPs will tend to make a few (1-3) posts and then give it up as a lost cause when that fails to make people see the light. Maybe we just get bored too easily, lol.

There's just so, so many intps here that it's hard to generalize. There are some "interesting" ones and many more who are reasonable.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
The ISTP I'm thinking about particularly seems to *only* and I do mean *only* value and rely on his Ti, that coupled with and compared to his past experiences/observations/the way things seem to be.

I was talking to him the other day and he said something akin to this, "Everywhere, there's problems, and I've got to try to fix these problems, and even in my problem solving there's problems, and even in my solutions there's problems, everything always fucked up!"

:confused:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I would say the real difference lies in the theoretical difference.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not sure exactly how, but we do feel very different to me - mainly for the less well-adjusted INTPs, though. The ones who are more...likeable also seem much less alien to me. More like people than type stereotypes.

I don't think it's because of excessive Ne; it seems to be instead an over-reliance on Ti (which some istps can share, to be fair). It's probably easier to use Se to "relax" Ti than it is to use Ne...maybe Ne is encouraging the unfortunate tendency of some N's to play up the "outcast" role. I think this may account for some of the differences.

One noticeable difference here is that INTPs will dig an argument to the ground whether or not they're clearly right/wrong. The ISTPs will tend to make a few (1-3) posts and then give it up as a lost cause when that fails to make people see the light. Maybe we just get bored too easily, lol.

There's just so, so many intps here that it's hard to generalize. There are some "interesting" ones and many more who are reasonable.
I've argued with both types, and both types seem to argue till the moon disappears and the sun rises.

Which I like! :)

And, hmmm, I do get an "earthier" vibe from the ISTPs than I do from the INTPs.

Perfect example.

An INTP and I can discuss random thought-provoking shit for hours on end, and this would and will suffice.

An ISTP and I can discuss random thought-provoking shit for hours on end, and this can *sometimes* suffice, but these discussions happen more fluidly and with appreciation while engaging in some kind of activity like, camping, hiking, driving, etc.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
In the theory (not the "hypothetical" interpretation of the word theoretical).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The ISTP I'm thinking about particularly seems to *only* and I do mean *only* value and rely on his Ti, that coupled with and compared to his past experiences/observations/the way things seem to be.

I think you are probably confusing that, then, with the tendency of INTP to get lost in a bunch of abstract tangents which might or might not be apparent.

I think T anchored to an S function is a lot more visible than T anchored to an N. Like Randomity's later anecdote suggests, ISTP is visibly pragmatic (e.g., dropping a pointless/useless discussion), while N often feels the need to explore all the zillions of pathways even if they see where it is going, because there's value to the type in that exploration process.

I think ISTPs get a lot more done that INTPs, at least in the tangible world; applications of Ti are made externally. INTPs can get pretty anal about the abstracted thinking process itself, regardless of its practical applicability... the abstracted concepts often never get practical application, they exist for themselves.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry, "in the theory"?

I've gotten less sleep than I would have liked, and your meaning escapes me.

If you care to elucidate, what do you mean?

I know "they" say that Ns are more prone to theorize and care about abstract things, but I do not necessarily see this "fact" manifesting in the ISTP type.

Their predilection to think, think, think, think about everything and anything, or most things ;) makes it difficult for me to conclude that they don't engage in a lot of abstract thinking!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've argued with both types, and both types seem to argue till the moon disappears and the sun rises.

Which I like! :)
Huh, ok, I guess you can change that to "in my experience", then. I'd thought it was a trend but I guess wasn't looking for it specifically. I have noticed a lot of istps here are content with saying their piece without needing to repeat it 7 reworded but barely-different ways (only noticeable because this repetitive arguing style is generally the norm on forums in general).

Maybe there are also some istps around here that like to argue endlessly, and I just tend to skip over those posts, lol.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Morgan's right.

I just sit around and 'think the kink' but never do any of it. :alttongue:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Huh, ok, I guess you can change that to "in my experience", then. I'd thought it was a trend but I guess wasn't looking for it specifically. I have noticed a lot of istps here are content with saying their piece without needing to repeat it 7 reworded but barely-different ways (only noticeable because this repetitive arguing style is generally the norm on forums in general).

Maybe there are also some istps around here that like to argue endlessly, and I just tend to skip over those posts, lol.
Hahahaaha, yeah, I see that on here, too.

In my experience, IRL, with ISTPs they tend to wax politic/philosophize/argue just as much or even more than many Ns do.

And, hahahahaa, the ISTPs I know tend to find *engaging* in foruming a big fat waste of time, (except for the use of lurking and gleaning important information ;))

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ISTP don't have souls. ;)

However they are grand watching your back in a fight...as long as they don't unnecessarily hop in and kill somebody.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
\
I think T anchored to an S function is a lot more visible than T anchored to an N. Like Randomity's later anecdote suggests, ISTP is visibly pragmatic (e.g., dropping a pointless/useless discussion),
Okay, bingo, this makes sense.

The ISTPs I know are ALL ABOUT PRAGMATICS!!!

I wouldn't even be able to recall the countless times my ISTP friend has dropped a pointless, or useless line of discussion to steer it into something more productive, so yeah, that makes sense! :)

while N often feels the need to explore all the zillions of pathways even if they see where it is going, because there's value to the type in that exploration process.

I think ISTPs get a lot more done that INTPs, at least in the tangible world; applications of Ti are made externally. INTPs can get pretty anal about the abstracted thinking process itself, regardless of its practical applicability... the abstracted concepts often never get practical application, they exist for themselves.
Is this why something like engineering appeals to the ISTP type?

Applied physics, and all that jazz?