• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENTP:ENFP dating (Bad idea)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Introverts just balance me out.

And, I'm not even that extroverted.

One thing I'm not down for is this, uber-extroverts.

:horor: + :nono:

:p

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm dating an ENFP still (just hit a year). The Ti/Fe and Fi/Te differences do tend to be where the arguments (well, we never actually argue per se) or the strange misunderstandings crop up.

When I get annoyed with him, it always relates to him suddenly getting caught up in a cause and acting like a convert (though I feel like he's done that less since he's been dating me), or talking to me in some weird fatherly tone which he does periodically. It's amazing watching him go from silly to directive. As long as he doesn't turn that tone on me, I'm fine with it. Our modes of logic are very different too. Sometimes he makes no sense to me and he looks at me like I'm from outer space haha.

He rarely expresses annoyance directly with me, but I figure he gets aggravated by my trying to blend in and please groups - particularly match the tones of social gatherings, and probably also when I talk like I'm a scientist that knows everything.

But we have too much fun together and are too curious about the world and about each other to take those things too seriously right now.

So like any other relationship...the problems fall into a certain pattern, and it all depends on how you both decide to react to them. I'm fortunate to be with someone who is very generous and understanding, who will admit it when he might be wrong, or hold his ground without being angry if he thinks he's right (at least with me. He can be a lot more forceful with certain people).

I wonder if female/male has anything to do with it. As female ENTPs, we tend to be "softer" than the men - and male ENFPs tend to be just, well, less histrionic than the ladies (ESFP men on the other hand... *shudders*)

I agree with OMT who said that INTPs are more likely to just accept whatever terms are in front of them.

And a lot of the boy INTPs seem to like being mothered. Just sayin'.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Introverts just balance me out.

And, I'm not even that extroverted.

One thing I'm not down for is this, uber-extroverts.

:horor: + :nono:

:p

Well, everyone wants an I. It's already been established. :yes:

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am extremely close to some ENFPs and I run for the hills from some of them (the weird kooky ones who openly renounce logic altogether to take a dive in the crazy pond).

I think it works best when the ENFP's Fi isn't overbearing, and the ENTP's tertiary Fe is well developed. Alternatively, you could say it works best when the ENTP's Ti isn't overbearing, and the ENFP's Te is well developed... it varies according to the dynamics of the relationship.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's a question- why is Fi concerned with authenticity? Being authentic is just... dumb. And individualism is useless. I've never understood the connection between a function that defines specific cognitive patterns, and authenticity. I just see that as a bunch of NFPs who are in the heart triad, and they relate Fi to individualism. Thus it's an internet standard, since NPs ARE the standard here.

Qre:us

Here's a question- why is Fi concerned with authenticity? Being authentic is just... dumb. And individualism is useless. I've never understood the connection between a function that defines specific cognitive patterns, and authenticity. I just see that as a bunch of NFPs who are in the heart triad, and they relate Fi to individualism. Thus it's an internet standard, since NPs ARE the standard here.

Often times it ends up being manifested as authenticity, but, when I use the term I'm not saying only Fi can bring about authenticity in a manifested behaviour.

The way I ascribe authenticity to the Fi function is that as a cognitive process, it aims to put whatever is the person's internal feelings at the heart of the matter. True to one's self, one's inner values. Thus, it's deeply personal, rising from within, and, as such unique from individual to individual. It's kinda only truly understood first-hand.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's a question- why is Fi concerned with authenticity? Being authentic is just... dumb.

Being fake is better?

And individualism is useless.

Nonsense. It's an American value.

I've never understood the connection between a function that defines specific cognitive patterns, and authenticity. I just see that as a bunch of NFPs who are in the heart triad, and they relate Fi to individualism. Thus it's an internet standard, since NPs ARE the standard here.

I've known an eSFP who very much relates Fi to authenticity, though he doesn't call it that ... he calls it being "real" and "true to self" and talks about how some people have no souls.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being fake is better?

Nonsense. It's an American value.

I've known an eSFP who very much relates Fi to authenticity, though he doesn't call it that ... he calls it being "real" and "true to self" and talks about how some people have no souls.

Well the way that it's put just seems so cheesy, and it doesn't seem to be the right way. I can see where it's coming from but at the same time no...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well the way that it's put just seems so cheesy, and it doesn't seem to be the right way. I can see where it's coming from but at the same time no...

I think there's a certain level of stubborness that we Fi users can exhibit that can be ridiculous, yes. It's like the artist who refers to him or her self in third person because s/he thinks s/he's so "epic." :D

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
God this is a stupid thread (no offense)
There are over 1 million different types of ENFPs on this planet, each with a different genetic code and personality. Each one of these ENFPs are differrent from one another.

To say you are incompatible with one person means you are incompatible with all the ENFPs is just over generalizations.

To say you are incompatible with one person means you are incompatible with all the ENFPs is just over generalizations.

Welcome to Typology Central Forum, pleased to meet you. :bye:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
God this is a stupid thread (no offense)
There are over 1 million different types of ENFPs on this planet, each with a different genetic code and personality. Each one of these ENFPs are differrent from one another.

What type is GOD? Oh, yeah, ENTJ. No worries, mon. ENTJs and ENFPs are compatible.

:cheers:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
And a lot of the boy INTPs seem to like being mothered. Just sayin'.

You know, I get the whiff of what you're sayin', I do. I've felt that........

I'll only speak for myself here. But, I'll speak honestly. As I've gotten older and more mature, I've realized that I just cannot fall into this. Basically, I have to be a man in every sense of the word.

But, as a younger INTP I think I would have given this vibe even more. For me, it was because I really could be pretty darn inept in some areas of life. Almost hopeless. And so it felt good to have *her* remind me that everything was OK. If I was at work and had a series of important meetings and really felt that I didn't do well or that my social skills hurt me in the meetings, then I came home feeling really down on myself - feeling very incompetent. Competence is HUGE for me. I have to know that I'm at least capable, but preferably "very good" at what I'm doing. And so, as little boy-ish as it seems, I might have come home looking for some sort of coddling to get rid of that really messed up, hopeless, "I'm an incompetent loser" feeling. The woman you care about can really help in that area.

But, with age and experience (hopefully), we grow up and learn to give our best and hold our heads high in every situation. And to be a man, not a boy.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
There are two kinds of ENFPs I've met in my life:

those that are well-adjusted, mature, insightful, intellectual and refined with a twinkle in the eye and an adventurous/kinky side, :wubbie:

and those that are just bat-shit crazy.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
When I was looking for a job and was concerned about where I'd end up, a wise friend said, it'll be one job in the end. You only need that one to work out and it will likely surprise you.

In relationships too, it's one that needs to work out in the end. Everything up to that point is up for examination from every angle possible, including type. :smile:

With types and relationships, friendships or romance, it really helps to know what the typical pitfalls are. We identify with a type for a reason and that does imply a common set of traits. ENFPs and ENTPs are not necessarily the anti-Christ for each other. I don't find that to be the case.
I do, however, find some common pitfalls in this pairing:
1. Immaturity in either type comes out in different ways, one fails to acknowledge the importance of objectivity while the other fails to acknowledge the importance of an internal value system as a guide. Both can be fickle and manupilative in different ways - one with histrionics or emotions more generally while and the other with a poor moral compass or emotional distance. The issue is immaturity but the pairing of two immature people could be disastrous when they belong to these types because they play off what each finds least attractive in the other.
2. Emotional unavailability: Both could have problems with commitment. Also could manifest as emotional distance in the ENTP and a real reluctance to explore the emotional side and the worst insecurities in the ENFP emerging with constant prodding of the emotional side in the ENTP.
3. Different commmunication styles: So much in relationships of all sort is said non-verbally and small misunderstandings could lead to bigger problems when either/both are not good or willing communicators. Avoiding confrontation doesn't seem to be limited to Fi or Fe.
Eventually, we fall for people who meet certain needs. I don't see why ENTPs or ENFPs can absolutely not do that for each other (sorry about the double negatives). There's a lot that we share. I read here some time ago that a successful ENTP-ENFP pairing often refers to each other as best friends. That's pretty attractive.

I LOVE being challenged intellectually and surround myself with people who are willing to do that. Why wouldn't I want to do that in a relationship? Besides, there's real chemistry when Ne meets Ne - it's a beautiful thing in so many respects. As long as the person was willing to listen and had, as SS has mentioned before, a basic sense of humility which is a necessary virtue for me...many ENTP virtues are very attractive.

At the same time, from an ENFP's perspective, I don't want to be someone's project for improvement either - for greater or a certain type of ambition, a more rational approach to relationships (I compartmentalize well, thank you) or a decreased interest in scaling the emotional depths of a relationship. ENTP or not, this wouldn't bode well for me.

So, as there is only one relationship that has to work out to disprove this rule, I'm not willing to exclude the possibility of being surprised by this pairing as any other. In the long run, a foundation of mutual respect, openness and a willingness to work on a relationship seem to go much further than type based matches/mismatches. :smile:

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
^well put!

I think the ENTP/ENFP dynamic can certainly work, but it isn't inherently a spectacular or mind-blowing union (... um, with respect to intellectual/emotional/psychological needs, at least!)

When I was looking for a job and was concerned about where I'd end up, a wise friend said, it'll be one job in the end. You only need that one to work out and it will likely surprise you.

In relationships too, it's one that needs to work out in the end. Everything up to that point is up for examination from every angle possible, including type. :smile:

With types and relationships, friendships or romance, it really helps to know what the typical pitfalls are. We identify with a type for a reason and that does imply a common set of traits. ENFPs and ENTPs are not necessarily the anti-Christ for each other. I don't find that to be the case.
I do, however, find some common pitfalls in this pairing:
1. Immaturity in either type comes out in different ways, one fails to acknowledge the importance of objectivity while the other fails to acknowledge the importance of an internal value system as a guide. Both can be fickle and manupilative in different ways - one with histrionics or emotions more generally while and the other with a poor moral compass or emotional distance. The issue is immaturity but the pairing of two immature people could be disastrous when they belong to these types because they play off what each finds least attractive in the other.
2. Emotional unavailability: Both could have problems with commitment. Also could manifest as emotional distance in the ENTP and a real reluctance to explore the emotional side and the worst insecurities in the ENFP emerging with constant prodding of the emotional side in the ENTP.
3. Different commmunication styles: So much in relationships of all sort is said non-verbally and small misunderstandings could lead to bigger problems when either/both are not good or willing communicators. Avoiding confrontation doesn't seem to be limited to Fi or Fe.
Eventually, we fall for people who meet certain needs. I don't see why ENTPs or ENFPs can absolutely not do that for each other (sorry about the double negatives). There's a lot that we share. I read here some time ago that a successful ENTP-ENFP pairing often refers to each other as best friends. That's pretty attractive.

I LOVE being challenged intellectually and surround myself with people who are willing to do that. Why wouldn't I want to do that in a relationship? Besides, there's real chemistry when Ne meets Ne - it's a beautiful thing in so many respects. As long as the person was willing to listen and had, as SS has mentioned before, a basic sense of humility which is a necessary virtue for me...many ENTP virtues are very attractive.

At the same time, from an ENFP's perspective, I don't want to be someone's project for improvement either - for greater or a certain type of ambition, a more rational approach to relationships (I compartmentalize well, thank you) or a decreased interest in scaling the emotional depths of a relationship. ENTP or not, this wouldn't bode well for me.

So, as there is only one relationship that has to work out to disprove this rule, I'm not willing to exclude the possibility of being surprised by this pairing as any other. In the long run, a foundation of mutual respect, openness and a willingness to work on a relationship seem to go much further than type based matches/mismatches. :smile:

And, ^ this is why I can love some ENFPs. Well said.

The bolded, agreed. And, with the humility comes openness that the other is trying to understand, and you want to understand, as well. Thus, not to approach with wariness, because, that will skew the interacton, before it even had a chance.

Also, Trinity made a thread trying to explore the difference between ENFP and ENTP, that might shed some light on the likely places our differences might become conflict.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ices/18510-differences-between-enfp-entp.html

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Happy Puppy, the image of ENFPs poking holes through ENTPs was :yim_rolling_on_the_ and I realized I really don't know any (confirmed) ENTPs irl or have enough rl experience with them because I couldn't relate or understand what you outlined in your OP. Sounds tragic!

Honestly, I don't even really want to ask more because I hate thinking anything I read on the forum will color my perception and even alter the way I interact with people irl. There's already friction on the board between some ENFPs and some ENTPs so when I actually do meet a person I think is ENTP irl I wouldn't want to act all strange thinking "Ohnoz! Abort!" even before a chance to really say helllo. I have no problem forming preconceived ideas and biases and red flags and applying them to people irl, but I like to base those preconceived notions on personal experience ;)

But maybe 6 months from now I'll be cycling through your thread (and the others another member posted links to) going "hmmmm, uncanny!" Hopefully not, though!