• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Intps: words are like waterfalls??

sculpting

So my favorite INTP said something very interesting the other day.

He is as INTP as it is possible to be. Myself and another ENFP were on either side of him and he was stuck between us. I explained that my ENTP friend had told me "Anytime W the INTP tells you something, he usually is calling you stupid"

I told him my reply to my ENTP had been "Well, it doesnt matter as W really is, will always be, and always has been smarter than me. There is no question of this, and he pretty much calls everyone stupid, so it isnt a big deal. It's funny."

Me and the other enfp started giggling and being tweaky, silly enfps at this point. I think she may have been bouncing in place.

The INTP did the funniest thing. He actually laughed a little, blushed, seemed bashful, then started saying "well you shouldnt worry about what I say, but instead treat it like a waterfall of words. It isnt what I say, it's how I say it."

This is actually what I do when he talks-I only understand about 30% of it and it always involves intense word play and sarcasm combined with technical jokes-the ultimate Ti. I pretty much laugh no matter what he says nowdays.

Does "waterfall of words" sound familiar to INTPs?

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Literal interpretations are overrated. He is right. Don't think too hard and you'll get it.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Often when I talk it is less about communicating a message and more about entertaining myself or assisting another with coming to there own conclusion with a mix of the choice of words, the tonality, the pacing, below the radar thought process tweaking.

The literal substance is often usually on the bottom of the totem unless it is really important (which most things are not).

I would see it as abstract art or a word game. The unwritten rule of the word game is that it must make literal sense as well so one doesn't come across as a totally driveling drooling dolt (although I don't always succeed in that basic endeavor).

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Meandering water falls of epic, no, perpetual proportions!!!

:eek:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Meandering water falls of epic, no, perpetual proportions!!!

:eek:

This is my interpretation. Get me going on something I like and I will talk to you for hours.

And I like wordplay, so I'll often play around with meaning. It's why we're also addicted to puns.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The INTP did the funniest thing. He actually laughed a little, blushed, seemed bashful, then started saying "well you shouldnt worry about what I say, but instead treat it like a waterfall of words. It isnt what I say, it's how I say it."

Actually, I think it sounds like the INTP kinda knew what the ENTP was saying had some truth to it. I only blush and smile like that when things are true, and I've been found out.

So, just toss out a "words are waterfalls" comment, "don't take my words seriously".... and the INTP successfully saved face. It's like saying, "hey, I'm going to be a little condescending to you, but it's really fun, so let me do it." :yes:

sculpting

^^ but it isnt really condescending because it's obvious. :)

So it doesn't really bother me, it's just funny. That's why it seemed funny to bring it up. To let him know that I knew that he was playing a trick and we were all in on the game and playing together, so I'll let it slide.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
^^ but it isnt really condescending because it's obvious. :)

So it doesn't really bother me, it's just funny. That's why it seemed funny to bring it up. To let him know that I knew that he was playing a trick and we were all in on the game and playing together, so I'll let it slide.

Well good. Jokingly ragging on people is one of my favorite things. I don't really think it comes from a place of superiority.... pretty much..

I think we're pretty conscious about when we're being total dicks, so we don't let it cross over into that territory as much.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
intense word play and sarcasm combined with technical jokes-the ultimate Ti. I pretty much laugh no matter what he says nowdays.

Sounds pretty much like me :yes:
People often don't know whether I'm being serious or joking (and the way I talk usually doesn't help either), and sometimes I don't know it myself. Cf. my sig.
My mind wanders all the time and there's little filter (and sometimes structure) between my brain and my mouth.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's more that our thoughts are like a waterfall.

Our words are the fish that manage to get up the waterfall. They struggle and jump from wave to wave, until they finally reach calm waters.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Waterfall of words is more of an ENTP trait than an INTP trait. INTPs are far more selective in their word choices- your INTP is trying to convince you that his words are NOT carefully selected, when in fact they actually are. We're looking at Ti/Ne here- INTPs prefer to think before they act. ENTPs, on the other hand, being Ne dominant, are far more likely to say a whole lot of things without having thought them through.

Qre:us

I explained that my ENTP friend had told me "Anytime W the INTP tells you something, he usually is calling you stupid"

I told him my reply to my ENTP had been "Well, it doesnt matter as W really is, will always be, and always has been smarter than me. There is no question of this, and he pretty much calls everyone stupid, so it isnt a big deal. It's funny."

He actually laughed a little, blushed, seemed bashful, then started saying "well you shouldnt worry about what I say, but instead treat it like a waterfall of words. It isnt what I say, it's how I say it."

He's fanning the flames of your fandom. He absorbed the compliment you gave him ("always will be smarter than me") and tried to take the sting off of it (since, you did compliment him), while implicitly agreeing (with you and the ENTP), so that you continue to keep him in a positive light.

Him being smarter than others != others being stupid. It just simply means he's smarter than them.

So, he's trying to say that you should look at him playfully when he gives off the vibe that he thinks others are stupid. I.e., thanks for finding how I insult people cute (as in, keep on not minding that I do, indeed, insult them - what he says).

"waterfall of words"

It's an Fe-appealing-to-abstract-whimsy sugar-coated line if I ever saw one.

sculpting

He's fanning the flames of your fandom. He absorbed the compliment you gave him ("always will be smarter than me") and tried to take the sting off of it (since, you did compliment him), while implicitly agreeing (with you and the ENTP), so that you continue to keep him in a positive light.

Him being smarter than others != others being stupid. It just simply means he's smarter than them.

So, he's trying to say that you should look at him playfully when he gives off the vibe that he thinks others are stupid. I.e., thanks for finding how I insult people cute (as in, keep on not minding that I do, indeed, insult them - what he says).

"waterfall of words"

It's an Fe-appealing-to-abstract-whimsy sugar-coated line if I ever saw one.

Now-if this had come from an ENTP, I'd agree with everything you say here. I would be really pissed actually because I would recognize the need for fandom, recognize it was an insult aimed at increasing thier status relative to mine and Te kick them in the nuts.

But in an INTP? Are you sure? How much external validation does an INTP need of their ideas or intelligence? I dunno...How much external validation does an INFP need for their feelings? Not as much as an ENFP, that's for sure! :)

There is a funny ENFP-INTP relationship thing you see people talk about here now and then. It is so obvious that we are not judging the world the same way. Unlike with an ENFP/ENTP, there is no mistaking we might end up at the same answer-thus a level of honesty from the start. So instead we both just kinda laugh, mutually misunderstand each other, make fun of each other and keep on truckin. Not a lot of conversation, but some giggles and blushing? I'd like to hear more about the intp view of this.

This INTP and I just won a huge, yet silent battle at work. I use him for his Ti and he uses me for my tert Te and idealism. He provides the correct answers and I fight to get them implemented in spite of the ENTP politics. We won and continue to win and are close (?).

It is odd to have a close friendship/partnership, know and understand this, yet not actually talk much about anything with that person. He has my back and I have his. I dunno, it's very strange. (No romance-he is very happily married-just an understanding of commitment)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Waterfall of words is more of an ENTP trait than an INTP trait. INTPs are far more selective in their word choices- your INTP is trying to convince you that his words are NOT carefully selected, when in fact they actually are. We're looking at Ti/Ne here- INTPs prefer to think before they act. ENTPs, on the other hand, being Ne dominant, are far more likely to say a whole lot of things without having thought them through.

My name is Spamtar and I approve with the above message...

Qre:us

Now-if this had come from an ENTP, I'd agree with everything you say here. I would be really pissed actually because I would recognize the need for fandom, recognize it was an insult aimed at increasing thier status relative to mine and Te kick them in the nuts.

So, if it was coming from an ENTP you would be mistrustful, but because it's:
(1) coming from an INTP
(2) one you like/are close to/respect

...you will not?

Why the double-standard? Could it be your perception of their types (thus, supposed motivation) are clouding how you're processing this?

At the end, beyond Fi-bias, an insult is an insult. If it's given by a loud-mouth asshole, yes, likely, most people will get their feathers ruffled. But, if it's coming from the quiet, contemplative, respectable dude, then the insult transforms? :thinking:

Maybe it should be, 'not how it is said, but, who says it?' - to me, that doesn't hold much weight: the parameters of an insult changing because of who said it.

I personally will likely forgive someone much faster for the same insult that another I do not like makes, but, I acknowledge my blatant bias in it, when I act like this.

But in an INTP? Are you sure? How much external validation does an INTP need of their ideas or intelligence? I dunno...How much external validation does an INFP need for their feelings? Not as much as an ENFP, that's for sure!

Every type wants external validation in different forms. No type lives in a bubble unto themselves, there's always some aspect of manifestation into the real external world, each type seeks.

If the INTP has thought it out to that degree that it gets manifested externally, unlike the ENTP, that thought is likely to be held with much greater conviction than it would in an ENTP (we say shyte just to say it). They may not look for external validation of their ideas as much (does this work? Wouldn't it be cool if? - like the ENTP), but, I'd think, they'd want it to make more of a commentary on their intellectual competence (yes, it's brilliantly sound, it will work!).

In this way, INTPs thrive on external validation of ideas or intelligence. They want to be acknowledged as intellectually competent.

This is why he likely calls those others "stupid", which is one of the greatest insults given by them, because they're saying that the person is not intellectually competent (something he holds to the highest regard).

sculpting

Why the double-standard? Could it be your perception of their types (thus, supposed motivation) are clouding how you're processing this?

I have to run to a meeting-but you are seeing the ENFP sliding scale of forgiveness in play here. Yup, the same insult from different people will be "felt" differently, based upon mountains of intangible Fi goo. Many thoughts here....

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
man those ENFPs can really move mountains..

sculpting

man those ENFPs can really move mountains..

More like throw ourselves under them. Rather pathetic actually.

Dont make me use the Fi gooey look on you. It will terrify you and burn scars onto your soul.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
But in an INTP? Are you sure? How much external validation does an INTP need of their ideas or intelligence? I dunno...How much external validation does an INFP need for their feelings? Not as much as an ENFP, that's for sure! :)

Absolutely certain.

The INTP isn't getting off on your praise- he's getting off on the fact that your praise proves his conjecture about you, himself and the general state of affairs of everything in between. The theoretical physicist might be spending all his time in his internal world, but surely it is a joyous occasion for him when the external world proves his theories to be true!