• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] what NTs look for in a potential mate

Shadowrose

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would love to find a guy who's as curious about the world as I am, and would actually like to experience it. I've had an ENTJ guy tell me I was "too smart". ?!
I thought smart was a good thing, but I guess not. I had it explained to me that NT men don't like to have mates that could possibly be smarter than them. This makes no sense to me - if my boyfriend had a higher IQ than I did, I would be proud of him, not see it as a competition. So, I don't entirely believe NT men who say they want an intelligent woman. They want a woman who is reasonably smart without threats of Supreme Intelligence usurpation.

:yes:

My experience has been very similar to yours.

Oh my, an NF female who is smart, perhaps even smarter than an NT male?!?!?!

Sacrilegious!!!

:rolli:

NT's have a pathological distaste for feeling like idiots. ^_^

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
NT's have a pathological distaste for feeling like idiots. ^_^

Well, I can certainly understand that. I hate feeling like I've said or done something that wasn't bright. But why should an NT feel like an idiot because their mate could possibly be smarter than them? That sounds like a competition to me, and that I don't understand. Why would you compete with a loved one? I would want to share my space, not be supreme ruler of it.

Shadowrose

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I can certainly understand that. I hate feeling like I've said or done something that wasn't bright. But why should an NT feel like an idiot because their mate could possibly be smarter than them? That sounds like a competition to me, and that I don't understand. Why would you compete with a loved one? I would want to share my space, not be supreme ruler of it.

The way I've always understood it, and the way it most strongly manifests with myself, is that while yes, it is competition, it isn't competition as most people think of it. It's a sense of internal perfection that we are always seeking. By being put into a situation where we look like an idiot, we're suddenly in a position of failure. I suspect some can take it and grow from it, and others tend to flee from it. Probably depends, greatly, on the individual.

Basically, we're always competing with ourselves. The fact that you're a loved one.. doesn't seem to actually factor into the equation, anywhere. Think of it like a sprinter, who's trying to beat his own record at the 100m dash. If he goes to the olympics, and finds himself far slower than the other runners, he suddenly feels terribly inferior. So he tends to keep around people that are marginally faster, or patently slower, to help soothe his ego and give him a challenge.

So, yes. I suspect NTs are generally threatened by partners that are substantially more intelligent than they, I'm not sure they aren't looking for intelligent women however. Does that help at all?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An excellent post, Shadow. Thanks for sharing. :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Physical: Tall. Athletic. I like small imperfections that make faces interesting to the touch. Furry. Lots of visible veins in their arms and hands. Not fond of facial hair but I like a man that can grow it and doesn't mind letting it go scruffy on weekends or during vacations. rooooowrrrr. Sexy.

Emotional: A kind, warm heart. Means what he says. Being at ease with himself. A good parent.

Mental: Ambitious and a wee bit cocky (but not too much). Love of learning. Responsible and level headed. Does what he says. Open minded and adventurous.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would love to find a guy who's as curious about the world as I am, and would actually like to experience it. I've had an ENTJ guy tell me I was "too smart". ?!
I thought smart was a good thing, but I guess not. I had it explained to me that NT men don't like to have mates that could possibly be smarter than them. This makes no sense to me - if my boyfriend had a higher IQ than I did, I would be proud of him, not see it as a competition. So, I don't entirely believe NT men who say they want an intelligent woman. They want a woman who is reasonably smart without threats of Supreme Intelligence usurpation.

I don't get this.

Or more accurately, I don't get that ENTJ.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't get this.

Or more accurately, I don't get that ENTJ.

The mighty Greek fire of my superior actualized mind shall burn you to the waterline as your ancient Norse ancestors before you and then destroy your ashes in most despicable graceless way (i.e. scrape them into a jar and mix them in with the Jonas Brothers' vat of hair gel.)

You are deeply deeply hated.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The mighty Greek fire of my superior actualized mind shall burn you to the waterline as your ancient Norse ancestors before you and then destroy your ashes in most despicable graceless way (i.e. scrape them into a jar and mix them in with the Jonas Brothers' vat of hair gel.)

You are deeply deeply hated.
Nice try, but we all know the Vikings wtfpwned your ancestors!

I've told women they were smarter than me!

I don't mind at all. The more to learn...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nice try, but we all know the Vikings wtfpwned your ancestors!

After 1000 AD, you were a tiny puff of smoke emanating from the furthest reaches of the permafrost. Sad man. So very sad. You may cuddle your poster of me and bewail your inferior genetics.

I've told women they were smarter than me!

Byronic heroes. So dramatic.

I don't mind at all. The more to learn...

I have reams of long division, just for you.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK Hmm, ^^^^^ that's flirting.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Up it to integrals, and you have a deal.

NEIN!! You will do vectors until your eyes bleed!! And then you will put on your MC Hammer pants and dance blindly for my amusement!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know, always have to be special... :rolli:

What's funny is I'm the one with a poetry thread too.

NEIN!! You will do vectors until your eyes bleed!! And then you will put on your MC Hammer pants and dance blindly for my amusement!

Your Greek fire that you keep chanting like some talisman will not save you.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your Greek fire that you keep chanting like some talisman will not save you.

You're about 1000 years too late, Sven LittleAxe.

Beat me at Helicopter and I shall pretend that you are human, even if a heinous misshapen horrible sewer clown!

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Physical: I like guys to be taller than me by at least a few inches so I can wear heels if I want without feeling like a giant...so probably 6 feet and above. Also, I prefer people with colored eyes (aka not dark brown or black) and I love redheads, but the eyes are the main thing.

Emotional: Emotionally stable! Need! I prefer people who are more in touch with emotions than I am, though. It's amusing, disconcerting and helpful to have someone around who knows how I'm feeling before I do.

Mental: As/more intelligent than me, but not an arrogant jackass about it. I like curious people who have ideas and do something with them, too.