• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and earning money

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

Spoke like an ignorant bloke, at a guess....

Technically speaking the population ought to be evenly represented trhoguh out management teirs... in reality it doens't equate but it doenst' skew too much in larger organisations... SME businesses are different, but lots of SMEs are run by people who can't work with people hence they work for themselves.

Hence if it worked the same as a rep pop (which I am not sayign it would), you'd get 55% SJ, c.20 SP, 15% NF's and c.10% NTs....

Boards in very large orgs my experince are usually around 50% SJ....

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would pay the person $100 dollars if that person tells simulatedworld to STFU.

bill_gates_1990.jpg

And here's the look of the "ENTJ" you speak of.

So you're implying that ENTJs can't look nerdy?

OH MY GOD WHEN WILL THE BS GENERALIZATIONS END???? I FOUND ONE COUNTEREXAMPLE SO YOUR POINT IS RUINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would pay the person $100 dollars if that person tells simulatedworld to STFU.

bill_gates_1990.jpg

And here's the look of the "ENTJ" you speak of.

Simulatedworld, stfu.

I hope your $1 a day salary can over the 100 bucks you owe me now. :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
NT's typically seem to do financially disproprtionately well, but SJ's merely by beign the biggest population ought to be getting higher scores.... ie SJ's are 55% of the population, therefore ought to be 55% of board possitions.[/url]

Well but that's the average for each type in a given population. If 55% of the members of each board are SJs (which doesn't have to be true...why do you think so?), yet if the ratio upper management SJ / total SJ is lower than the ratio of, say, upper management NP / total NP, NPs could still on average do much better, since both incomes will be normalized by the numerosity of each sub-sample.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well but that's the average for each type in a given population. If 55% of the members of each board are SJs (which doesn't have to be true...why do you think so?), yet if the ratio upper management SJ / total SJ is lower than the ratio of, say, upper management NP / total NP, NPs could still on average do much better, since both incomes will be normalized by the numerosity of each sub-sample.

Because so far no one on these forums has actually produce reliable evidence to prove that any specific MBTI excells above and beyond in income.... there are a lot of crap research with bad sampling and the MOST APPAULING misreading of the data... there is a whole thread on cleaverness - which is simply full of misinterpretation.

In reality, at senior level in big firms it doens't seem to skew a huge amount from what I can see for a rep population.... slightly lower SJ, but not huge... But there is no evidence of that...

The most we manage to squeeze out the last set of data someone posted a link too, is that N types were likely to be more gifted, but it would need to be statistically proven.

So please, if you can find data to suggest that there will be a non representative spread of MBTI across different income band, which is reliable and doens't misreport the data, then we may have something to talk about, but until then I think it's plausable to think it's MBTI bull shit... :)

(I do think there will be a small skew in reality but not massive).

Ok 55% Normal pop of the UK is SJ (and I'm talking from memory so dont' quote me)....

At average income one would expect a similar proportion of SJ's

At senior levels ditto...55%.... there is nothing been produced to suggest MBTI skews income... nothing that has reliability/properly reported

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's not really my problem if Cloud takes "Te and Se users tend to have value systems more conducive to making money than other types" personally because he erroneously takes this as an implication that it's totally impossible for other types (namely INTPs, which he kept harping on) to make money. It's quite apparent that that's not the case and that nobody said it was, so he should probably quit crying about it and learn to take generalized statements in a generalized context. This is really not that hard.

I... really don't care who here's correct- or if there's a clear definition of correct in this instance; therefore, I suggest everyone exercise their apathetic dexterity. :)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I... really don't care who here's correct- or if there's a clear definition of correct in this instance; therefore, I suggest everyone exercise their apathetic dexterity. :)

I'm enthusiastically apathetic.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

This quote tends to sum up my views on this matter, and most others, quite nicely.

Garfield said:
I'm not apathetic; I'm lethargic. Apathetic people don't care. Lethargic people care, we just don't do anything about it.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Technically speaking the population ought to be evenly represented trhoguh out management teirs.

says who? why does the population % at large have to dictate everything in society these days? Everytime I hear "xyz racial/social/geographic/educationlevel/gender etc is under represented in wtf profession/success/test scores/income etc" I have to ask:

WHY? why should the a priori form of statistics dominate the observance form of statistics? Why cant xyz group be under represented in wfc, while overrepresented in tyg??? Does every profession, school, test score, etc have to be a mini microcosm of statistical proportion? Why are people so against accepting differences in desires, cultures and priorities?

Yes, there are mean angry old white men who would use what I just said to keep certain types/race/culture/gender down. However, thats not inherently part of what i've revealed. You can still believe in improving peoples abilities and not putting up a glass ceiling WHILE accepting that the population and microcosms have NO REAL REASON that they must correspond.

so I call bullshit that board rooms represent the exact same proportion of the population. The old battle ground was, liberal = humans have no talents or unchangeable human nature vs conservative = humans are determined by the human nature that no one can overcome. I think its a childish debate to take either side.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because so far no one on these forums has actually produce reliable evidence to prove that any specific MBTI excells above and beyond in income.... there are a lot of crap research with bad sampling and the MOST APPAULING misreading of the data... there is a whole thread on cleaverness - which is simply full of misinterpretation.

In reality, at senior level in big firms it doens't seem to skew a huge amount from what I can see for a rep population.... slightly lower SJ, but not huge... But there is no evidence of that...

The most we manage to squeeze out the last set of data someone posted a link too, is that N types were likely to be more gifted, but it would need to be statistically proven.

So please, if you can find data to suggest that there will be a non representative spread of MBTI across different income band, which is reliable and doens't misreport the data, then we may have something to talk about, but until then I think it's plausable to think it's MBTI bull shit... :)

(I do think there will be a small skew in reality but not massive).

Ok 55% Normal pop of the UK is SJ (and I'm talking from memory so dont' quote me)....

At average income one would expect a similar proportion of SJ's

At senior levels ditto...55%.... there is nothing been produced to suggest MBTI skews income... nothing that has reliability/properly reported

I would suggest two things. "Type Talk at Work" published some statistics which were gathered from the author's database of 20,000 plus individuals. There are some interesting statistics on % of individuals for each MBTI type at each of the following levels:
- Entry level
- Middle managers
- Upper management
- Executives

There is also a book called "Developing Leaders" by Fizgerald and Kirby which is substantially more research oriented, with studies quoted up the wahzoo, including the Center for Creative Leadership, the Journal of Psychological Type, etc. Those two books have a substantial amount of evidence supporting several of the points that I made above.

Still, they are statistics and averages and I think they would be biased towards who progresses upwards in larger organizations, which covers part of the population. Let's take Tori Amos, who I think is likely an INFP, which is at the bottom of the average income levels listed above. I'm sure she makes plenty of money, thank you.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What Simulatedworld said is correct as well.

Another interesting point is that while there is a statistically significant difference in the number of Ns that progress upwards (as a percentage of type), the actual difference is small.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What Simulatedworld said is correct as well.

Another interesting point is that while there is a statistically significant difference in the number of Ns that progress upwards (as a percentage of type), the actual difference is small.

Doesn't "statistically significant" basically mean that the difference is large enough that we know it's not due to pure chance? So, what do you mean when you say the actual difference is small? Does this mean that it barely reaches the "statistically significant" threshold? I'm just curious what the numbers look like.

(waiting for response that says: then go read the book. LOL).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would suggest two things. "Type Talk at Work" published some statistics which were gathered from the author's database of 20,000 plus individuals. There are some interesting statistics on % of individuals for each MBTI type at each of the following levels:
- Entry level
- Middle managers
- Upper management
- Executives

There is also a book called "Developing Leaders" by Fizgerald and Kirby which is substantially more research oriented, with studies quoted up the wahzoo, including the Center for Creative Leadership, the Journal of Psychological Type, etc. Those two books have a substantial amount of evidence supporting several of the points that I made above.

Still, they are statistics and averages and I think they would be biased towards who progresses upwards in larger organizations, which covers part of the population. Let's take Tori Amos, who I think is likely an INFP, which is at the bottom of the average income levels listed above. I'm sure she makes plenty of money, thank you.

I hate to say it but being published in a book does not validate weather or not the research is valid and reliable, is it a % of a recognisable population etc... what data source is used and how complete it is, how reliably it was collected etc, etc.

It does sounds a better source than most I've heard off - but can't tell how reliable it is

As I said earlier, nothing reliable has ever been produced on this site that I've seen. I'm not saying the book you talk of isn't reliable, it very well may be but I've not seen it....

As a gut feel I'd say there will be some skewing but it isn't massive... ie there will be a higher than avraged proportion of one or two types but still not enough skew it away from SJ's... (at an educated guess).

The list above shows houshold income... if you are an NT earning $75k on your own and an SJ earning $50k on your own and a gf who earns $30k.... hence it doens't stack up... also house hold income often includes state benefits and subsidies etc so more unreliability.... Research is rife with tricky bits

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
says who? why does the population % at large have to dictate everything in society these days? Everytime I hear "xyz racial/social/geographic/educationlevel/gender etc is under represented in wtf profession/success/test scores/income etc" I have to ask:

WHY? why should the a priori form of statistics dominate the observance form of statistics? Why cant xyz group be under represented in wfc, while overrepresented in tyg??? Does every profession, school, test score, etc have to be a mini microcosm of statistical proportion? Why are people so against accepting differences in desires, cultures and priorities?

Yes, there are mean angry old white men who would use what I just said to keep certain types/race/culture/gender down. However, thats not inherently part of what i've revealed. You can still believe in improving peoples abilities and not putting up a glass ceiling WHILE accepting that the population and microcosms have NO REAL REASON that they must correspond.

so I call bullshit that board rooms represent the exact same proportion of the population. The old battle ground was, liberal = humans have no talents or unchangeable human nature vs conservative = humans are determined by the human nature that no one can overcome. I think its a childish debate to take either side.

The reality is of course there will be skews in populations at the extremes, there ALWAYS is, but statistical theory means we ought to consider it to be normally representatvie until proven otherwise, and no one had proven otherwise... period. You can call bullshit as much as you like, but put your money where your mouth is and PROVE IT! :D:D

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate to say it but being published in a book does not validate weather or not the research is valid and reliable, is it a % of a recognisable population etc... what data source is used and how complete it is, how reliably it was collected etc, etc.

It does sounds a better source than most I've heard off - but can't tell how reliable it is

As I said earlier, nothing reliable has ever been produced on this site that I've seen. I'm not saying the book you talk of isn't reliable, it very well may be but I've not seen it....

As a gut feel I'd say there will be some skewing but it isn't massive... ie there will be a higher than avraged proportion of one or two types but still not enough skew it away from SJ's... (at an educated guess).

The list above shows houshold income... if you are an NT earning $75k on your own and an SJ earning $50k on your own and a gf who earns $30k.... hence it doens't stack up... also house hold income often includes state benefits and subsidies etc so more unreliability.... Research is rife with tricky bits

Yes, well, I don't dig into how the research is done of course (maybe this is more of an xNTP thing??). I just look at the results. You may very well be right on that point. It did seem like there was a preponderance of evidence from different sources though and the information does seem to sync up with my experiences. That being said, I read somewhere that we are increasingly moving to a "perceiving" world, some of the research is no doubt dated and who knows, it could be changing.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Here is something posed by my Astronomy professor, who I'm convinced is INTP:
"A lot of people are practitioners; they do one thing well. Brain surgeons don't conduct heart surgery, nor vice versa. I have great respect general practitioners: those who go beyond just one field and dominate multiple ones. Such include Isaac Newton and Benjamin Franklin."

This can easily sum up why xNxPs are recorded as having a lower income than other types: they do what they want to do, even if it doesn't pay well. And me- hell- I love doing what I do, but I'd love to do something completely different than what I do- and something else completely different from that. I want to try everything- really.

Shaunward

Here is something posed by my Astronomy professor, who I'm convinced is INTP:
"A lot of people are practitioners; they do one thing well. Brain surgeons don't conduct heart surgery, nor vice versa. I have great respect general practitioners: those who go beyond just one field and dominate multiple ones. Such include Isaac Newton and Benjamin Franklin."

This can easily sum up why xNxPs are recorded as having a lower income than other types: they do what they want to do, even if it doesn't pay well. And me- hell- I love doing what I do, but I'd love to do something completely different than what I do- and something else completely different from that. I want to try everything- really.

ENTJs don't do what they want to do? I know nothing sounds more thrilling, to me, than running a large corporation, pay be damned.