• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and earning money

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm, I know at least one entp who goes through those up & down spurts... but here's my situation-

Focusing on a job and doing it well (or have done it well for 7.5 years, to the point that I hardly have to think to do it) while making money on the stock market on the side, stretching my wings out a bit moonlighting on the job. Oops, nobody mention this to my boss ;)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ehhhh when you work for yourself that's definitely true, when you work for someone I think the correlation can be pretty low among a whole company.

Sorry - was in a hurry on that last post and did not have time to articulate my response in a clear enough way.

In a services business, such as architecture, advertising, consulting, outsourcing, law firms, etc you can bet that the people who progress are the ones that contribute to the organization's revenue and bottom line. They have the relationships, eminence, client service capabilities or whatever that allow the company to win deals and maintain recurring revenue. It is very much what matters.

According to the sterotypes here, you must be a J and have a very large ego to make shitloads of money.

I am going to prove this sterotype wrong.

For every P that feels hopeless making to the billionare's club, read Softwar:An Intimate Potrait of Larry Ellison. Larry Ellison is about the most P billionare I have ever known after richard branson.

I think that a lot of Ps are very successful. However, IMHO, the odds are not as good in a bureaucracy.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
The main thing I learned from public school was that I was going to be really successful without trying. This worked for me through college, and then I realized that, despite all my past experiences, you actually have to try to get anywhere in real life.

Still working on that...but trust me, you can't bullshit your way into a successful career or a lot of money without trying. Unfortunately the N magic runs out and you're stuck actually having to learn things, study and work hard. It's a bitch, I know, but better to learn sooner than later.

This's something I'm admittedly learning myself now being in college as well right now.

Everything was so easy before, handed to me on a plate. I would demand it be platinum because silver just wasn't good enough for me, and request they take it back.

It's taking effort now, but at the same time, the learning curve is still amazing, but it still takes time and effort, two things I'm not known for managing well.

We'll see how this turns out. If I get my act together, I will slaughter the competition with ease. If I remain lethargic, it may not work out so well.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I realize the preference for unsubstantiated statements but does anyone have any actual research on this?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I think INTP is one of the most underestimated types when it comes to making money.
I am sure there are alot of rich INTPs in this world.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am not doomed to fail because I am an INTP. I'm not incapable of making good money because I'm "I" or because I'm "P". Both of these personality characteristics do present interesting challenges, however!

And to entropie, I understand what you are saying about not stereotyping too much. I get it. But, that's why I gave a disclaimer and worded things in a certain way in the OP as to not portray the idea that we are "stuck in a certain type and can't escape", because I don't think that way. But, still, it's a fact that if we took an accurate, random sample of the various types (representative of the overall human population), we would find certain trends. There's no doubt about that. And that's really all I was doing in listing what I have observed with the types that I know personally. I was looking at the trends. That doesn't give me an excuse (because I'm INTP) to give up and not work hard. I'm an individual and I can accomplish things because of or in spite of my type. But, the trends are still there and they are fun to look at.

You don't see many ESFJ's as CEO's. But, you do see quite a few ENTJ's. It's reality and there are certain factors that make it so.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Pft, yeu're not "stuck in a certain type and can't escape" as many people seem to think... the "types" are very very broad generalizations which still cover vast expanses. A 3w4 ENTP would be massively different from a 7w6 ENTP, despite both being ENTP.

And even then, it can be split far farther than that as well.

Yeur "type" is yeur preference and how yeu generally tend to react by default and whot yeur values are. These may influence yeur work habits, or which positions yeu may happen to take that're available to yeu, but there's alot of external things that change that too... who yeu know, which opportunities yeu had such as schooling, and things like that have a far greater effect.

On AVERAGE though, an ENTP, speaking of myself as example as I'm really not qualified to talk about others, will GENERALLY bounce between career paths frequently... I know I get bored of things easily, hence I took a career path which this is NORMAL to occur... 3d animation in film/games, where yeu could be working on a movie one month doing lighting effects, and the next month rigging models for a game, and a year later be doing animations for cutscenes for a different company entirely.

If yeu take yeur strengths and work with them, mine being adaptability to changing environments as one of my strongest, and do whot yeu enjoy, yeu'll generally end up making good wages no matter whot it is yeu do.

Those who can't figure out whot they want to do will flail about like fish out of water, regardless of type. Though some are more resistant to such than others, as STJ's for example will tend to have a very solid work ethic regardless of their personal feelings of the job. That's a generality of course, but anyways.

The idea, though, is that yeu aren't "stuck" in yeur stereotype... yeu are "stuck" in yeur TYPE, that won't really change as such, yeu just may not understand yeurself well enough to type yeurself correctly before that is all. But the stereotypes? No, there's too many different variations on a theme... and that's all a type is... a generalized theme which has several core values, but alot of latitude on how they express those values.

That is also why yeu won't see HUGE differences in pay grades from different types... some types may be more likely to prefer high paying jobs (lawyer, doctor, accountant, something with lots of long long long hours of study), while another may prefer something which lets them MAKE stuff, regardless of whether it pays well or not (and more than a few starving artists will drag down the average), HOWEVER, it doesn't mean they ALL will do whot they prefer... I'm sure there's more than a few people out there doing jobs their mindset just flat out isn't specialized for, but they do it anyway. Are there jobs I could get that pay better than whot I'm studying for? Well yeah, but I don't want those. Another ENTP might be willing to take those opportunities anyway out of curiousity whereas I'm interested in whot I'm aiming for regardless of the pay. That's individual, not type.

So really, type doesn't have that big of a difference. Anyone can be mostly anything (well no yeu may not be capable of being a ballerina, and yeu may not be physically built to be an astronaut, but it doesn't mean yeu're forced to work at mcdonald's either), within reason, it's just some types PREFER certain jobs that generally pay better. Whether they actually go with that line of work or not is up to the individual, not the type, to decide.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
yeu may not be capable of being a ballerina, and yeu may not be physically built to be an astronaut...

Some great points in your post, but in regards to your statement above:

Surely if it's possible that a person is not capable (as you say) of being some "thing" because they don't have the right physical make-up or physical talent..................

then it must also be possible that the way their individual brain works could also make them just as incapable of certain jobs?

If I can't be a ballerina because I can't overcome physical obstacles, then maybe some others can't be rich because of mental obstacles/ways of thinking.

I don't agree with that, BTW, but that's what it sounds like you might be implying.

If your average ESFJ can "overcome" and be a great CEO, then I can "overcome" and be a ballerina just the same.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sweet. kind of what I was looking for. And where do they get the stats? Most people don't seem to have much of a background on what MBTI is. I wonder about their sample since "participants" were not quantified.

I am not doomed to fail because I am an INTP. I'm not incapable of making good money because I'm "I" or because I'm "P". Both of these personality characteristics do present interesting challenges, however!

I don't understand where this "failure" prediction comes in. Much like I don't people who use their type as a crutch. A type's just descriptive; it's not an oracle. They should call themselves bums and be done with it.

/still not intJ.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Know what I mean ?

Yeah I do have to say i enjoy being around people I haven't typed because it frees up my openness and it refreshing not be constantly fitting everything into types in the back of your head.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Interested int typology does not involve making BS generalizations.

I hope you know the difference.

If you can explain the relationship between making money and having a high Te and Se score, I take back my words.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Te? Se? When are these generalizations going to stop?

Having a large ego is necessary to make money now?

They'll stop as soon as you stop interpreting the intended meaning so poorly. :doh

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
what is the intended meaning?

Nobody ever said people without Te/Se couldn't make money, just that those with strong Te (and to a lesser degree Se) seem to do better at it than others on average.

Te leads to making money because it's good at organizing tasks and getting them done on time. The way our economy is structured, the corporate world rewards this kind of consistency and drive. See Bill Gates (ENTJ.)

Se leads to making money because, when a smart person uses it, it's good at following gut instincts and making an immediate, impressive impact on others. This can result in a charismatic persona that persuades others to get excited about the Se user's ideas. Having good gut instincts about business decisions can lead to a lot of money, and smart Se users profit from the ability to make boldly aggressive investments and business moves (moves that may even seem reckless to others) based on gut feelings that they will pay off. See Donald Trump (ESTP.)

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Nobody ever said people without Te/Se couldn't make money, just that those with strong Te (and to a lesser degree Se) seem to do better at it than others on average.

Te leads to making money because it's good at organizing tasks and getting them done on time. The way our economy is structured, the corporate world rewards this kind of consistency and drive. See Bill Gates (ENTJ.)

Se leads to making money because, when a smart person uses it, it's good at following gut instincts and making an impressive impact on others. Having good gut instincts about business decisions can lead to a lot of money, and smart Se users profit from the ability to make boldly aggressive investments and business moves (moves that may even seem reckless to others) based on gut feelings that they will pay off. See Donald Trump (ESTP.)

Do better?

Have any statistics?
As far as I am concerned, Bill gates is one of the most introverted people who made it to the billionare's list. He is an example of an introvert who can defeat all the odds and stereotypes.

As to whether he is an ENTJ or not, I haven't notice one ENTJ on this forum that thinks like Bill gates. Can you please point out one? I am guessing at least there are some similarities?

And we have strong proof that Larry Ellison is a P (most likely ENTP) in his personal biography. It was based on a live interview and documentry of his life. And I don't think Larry Ellison is any less successful than Bill Gates.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do better?

Have any statistics?
As far as I am concerned, Bill gates is one of the most introverted people who made it to the billionare's list. He is an example of an introvert who can defeat all the odds and stereotypes.

As to whether he is an ENTJ or not, I haven't notice one ENTJ on this forum that thinks like Bill gates. Can you please point out one? I am guessing at least there are some similarities?

Please. This response isn't worth my time.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Please. This response isn't worth my time.

Oh? please enlighten me. Everything you type is based on stereotypes.

I think the best you can do is use yourself as an example rather than live in the shadow of other great people and use them for your own type's self promotion.

When you built a multimillion dollar business and come back to post and say i did it, everyone will shut up.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh? please enlighten me. Everything you type is based on stereotypes.I think the best you can do is use yourself as an example rather than live in the shadow of other great people and use them for your own type's self promotion.

When you built a multimillion dollar business and come back to post and say i did it, everyone will shut up.

Don't you understand? Typing is stereotyping. Of course a type is going to be based on stereotypes because it is one!!!!!!

MBTI is an advanced and structured form of stereotyping and Sims reasons where based on advanced and structures stereotypes.

btw Sim you should also add that Se types put a lot of effort into appearance which can count for a lot in some place - corporate being one of them from what I've heard.