• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and earning money

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh goodness, yes. I'm a pretty extreme earner. I was making a ridiculous sum just barely out of my teens and then got bored and gave it all up to travel and be free, then did it again in early 20s. Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat...

How did you do that jen?

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, I agree. In theory that all sounds nice, I just cant find so far for me any reasonable proof why an entj for example should be more likely to climb up the corporate ladder.

To me that's a huge assumption for the type that can confuse people. Because for example why cant an ENTJ be good at becoming a gardener ?

I am just saying as romantic as this whole mbti theory is, it must leave more room for options or it can narrow down ones mind in a corner full of stereotypes.

Probably because they are very good at making a well though through plan and them implementing it - agressively if needs be - there also very strategic with there Ni and capable of "playing the game" very well with - Te-Se. They can dominate and progress strategically while still being aware of the wider options and possibilities and of looking and acting like they "should".

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
I tend to get into new industries early and get out before the market gets saturated.

Any examples? as I'm curious as I recently made a mate who is 19 and has an IT consultancy and repair business and wanted to look at how to do something like that.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Any examples? as I'm curious as I recently made a mate who is 19 and has an IT consultancy and repair business and wanted to look at how to do something like that.

Examples on how to get a job? You just have to do it. I don't know how else to describe it. I read constantly, I study constantly, I am aware of trends. Can you be more specific?

I've worked in software, pharmaceuticals, music, film and a few other industries - usually coming in as the only one proficient in xyz technology at the moment. I don't study something for an end goal other than just to know what this thing is, so it often surprises me that my skills are in demand.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Examples on how to get a job? You just have to do it. I don't know how else to describe it. I read constantly, I study constantly, I am aware of trends. Can you be more specific?

I've worked in software, pharmaceuticals, music, film and a few other industries - usually coming in as the only one proficient in xyz technology at the moment. I don't study something for an end goal other than just to know what this thing is, so it often surprises me that my skills are in demand.

Oh right. I presumed by new industries that you were starting businesses rather than working in new areas of existing businesses.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Oh right. I presumed by new industries that you were starting businesses rather than working in new areas of existing businesses.

I've done both - starting new businesses, coming in as consultant in an existing business... what difference does it make?

I'm lost. What exactly are you asking me - how to start a business or how to be ahead of the markets or what?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Probably because they are very good at making a well though through plan and them implementing it - agressively if needs be - there also very strategic with there Ni and capable of "playing the game" very well with - Te-Se. They can dominate and progress strategically while still being aware of the wider options and possibilities and of looking and acting like they "should".

And if they fail at it are they NF then ?

There are many shades of grey

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I once found myself destined to create films. Then I realized the entire industry revolved around the sad subjectivity of people. This is what I'm talking about. I have little feeling when it comes to dealing with people. I don't treat them any better or worse than I treat myself. And I'm not a mean person- I just find myself interacting with them as little as possible.

You could say that's a bad thing- but my current job almost permits it. One part of it, yes, is support- but I have no trouble with it because, as sick as it sounds, I like to be acknowledged as knowing a great deal about something and being relied upon for it. But, I in no way would ever work at a summer camp, as a secretary, a customer support line, a retail store, a fast food restaurant, a restaurant (unless I'm running it), etc. Before responding to this, read below:

And I agree. I feel my words have been a bit misinterpreted. I love challenges. Big challenges at that. I think my procrastination comes from putting off things things I find small and insignificant, which I find a lot of things to fit this model, especially daily life. But things I am fascinated by I see as significant, which includes buildings and creating them. Hence my focus on architecture. Which is something you really can't bullshit your way through and is appealing because of it.

And I do have a very general goal of what I want to do with my life; but I'm pretty okay if it changes. “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell

This sounds much better. I know little to nothing about architecture but my guess is that success lies partially in how much talent you have and partially in how effective you apply it. The world of business is best thought of as a marketplace. You make money in correlation to the contribution you make to revenue and profit – either for someone else or for yourself.

It is like the writer or artist whose works sell out, the professional athlete or entertainer has to put “butts in seats”, and the entrepreneur who starts a business needs to grow a business. A service or product is provided, it must be sold, and people must buy it. The architect will have clients who are paying for the service. I think perhaps even if you are Frank Lloyd Wright, you need to have a relationship with your clients, you need to sell and you need to bring in revenues. Early on, others may help you to do some of these things but to get into the big leagues, you need to take more of these things on yourself. The goods or services that you provide are likely produced with others. Bottom line is that interpersonal relationships and skills matter a lot.
Then there is always luck. NT can help you to be in the right place at the right time, but there is still a lot of luck involved and you need to make it happen.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You make money in correlation to the contribution you make to revenue and profit – either for someone else or for yourself.

Ehhhh when you work for yourself that's definitely true, when you work for someone I think the correlation can be pretty low among a whole company.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
And if they fail at it are they NF then ?

There are many shades of grey

No, just that the ENTJ personality lends its self very well to that ways of acting therefor for it is more likely an ENTJ will be good in that job than NF who's way of thinking may not lend its self to many jobs in a coperate world.
After all MBTI is an advanced form of - albeit accurate in many cases - stereotypings.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've done both - starting new businesses, coming in as consultant in an existing business... what difference does it make?

I'm lost. What exactly are you asking me - how to start a business or how to be ahead of the markets or what?

I meant like examples. Like the mate I mentioned started fixing his own PC at 13 then fixing mates. Then started charging to fix family friends then made a business out of it!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, just that the ENTJ personality lends its self very well to that ways of acting therefor for it is more likely an ENTJ will be good in that job than NF who's way of thinking may not lend its self to many jobs in a coperate world.
After all MBTI is an advanced form of - albeit accurate in many cases - stereotypings.

This tho creates many questions. For example if an NF is successful in the business world and one doesnt know jack about him, one could assume he is ENTJ cause he corresponds to the rolemodel.

What I am meaning is, type theory should be limited to your own self and personality. If it crosses the borders to the real world it gets blurry

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I meant like examples. Like the mate I mentioned started fixing his own PC at 13 then fixing mates. Then started charging to fix family friends then made a business out of it!

Ahhh.

Well I don't want to give too much identifying information but as far as inventing goes - creating things that I want for myself is kind of where it started. Especially in the field of sound recording, and energy harnessing and storage.

(fuuuuuuck, sorry Talullah, I *just* remembered now as I'm typing this!!! :doh:)

The things that I've made exist in the world already but not usually in accessible to everyone sense. Or in a way that allows people to make it simply at home. I think my strength is seeing what works and making a simple version at home that everyone can do on their own. And of course, there has been some innovation in the design.

As far as everything else, I seem to be able to anticipate trends and then lock on as a consultant somewhere before that field is really saturated. Or becoming a resource to the people who surround me, like your friend did.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
This tho creates many questions. For example if an NF is successful in the business world and one doesnt know jack about him, one could assume he is ENTJ cause he corresponds to the rolemodel.

What I am meaning is, type theory should be limited to your own self and personality. If it crosses the borders to the real world it gets blurry

So are you saying we shouldn't type other people too much?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible

Te? Se? When are these generalizations going to stop?

Having a large ego is necessary to make money now?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
So are you saying we shouldn't type other people too much?

That's a different topic that would need a lot more discussion but: yes by all means.

One should always get to know people as they come and not have a type in mind when interacting. And I cant tell myself free from that aswell and its a thing that sometimes has influenced my ability to get to know new people in a bad way.

In that sense you can create a form of subjectivity towards people that will always be there, dont get me wrong. But I like do think about people in my own words and not by predefined mbti stereotypes.

The end of all hope in that department would be, when the mbti stereotypes start to do all the thinking for you with people you meet.

Know what I mean ?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
That's a different topic that would need a lot more discussion but: yes by all means.

One should always get to know people as they come and not have a type in mind when interacting. And I cant tell myself free from that aswell and its a thing that sometimes has influenced my ability to get to know new people in a bad way.

In that sense you can create a form of subjectivity towards people that will always be there, dont get me wrong. But I like do think about people in my own words and not by predefined mbti stereotypes.

The end of all hope in that department would be, when the mbti stereotypes start to do all the thinking for you with people you meet.

Know what I mean ?

According to the sterotypes here, you must be a J and have a very large ego to make shitloads of money.

I am going to prove this sterotype wrong.

For every P that feels hopeless making to the billionare's club, read Softwar:An Intimate Potrait of Larry Ellison. Larry Ellison is about the most P billionare I have ever known after richard branson.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I've been hearing all these BS about Introverts can't be Billionares. And Ps don't work hard enough to make money. And later it turn into an XNTJ worship thread.

If you want to worship someone, worship yourself.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
According to the sterotypes here, you must be a J and have a very large ego to make shitloads of money.

I am going to prove this sterotype wrong.

For every P that feels hopeless making to the billionare's club, read Softwar:An Intimate Potrait of Larry Ellison. Larry Ellison is about the most P billionare I have ever known after richard branson.

That's the spirit I can fall in love with :)