• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTPs and ISTJs

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I roomed with a self-confirmed ISTJ (in hindsight, he acted like a walking ISTJ type description) in my sophomore year at college. All I'll say is that we started the year out as good friends but by the end, we hated and rarely spoke to one another.

Irrelevant since I don't type as INTP (or ISTJ), nor does it affect my opinions of other ISTJs. Just felt like sharing.

Chrysanthea

I never had good relations with my ISTJ father, and I am myself an INTP. All he cares about is working and attaining material wealth, and making sure we follow the rules of course. I think the biggest sense of rebellion in him was the time he switched churches. And speaking of church, whenever I would do something wrong, he would make sure to make me feel bad about it, and then tell me I was going to Hell, and possibly even make intimidating and aggressive gestures. He had a lot of problems with anger back then... but I dunno if this is an ISTJ thing.

cameo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
A lot of these comments are interchangeable. You can change the rants about ISTJ with any other Myers-Brigg type such as INTP or ESFJ and nothing would had changed. What this means is that the rant about ISTJ don't have a particular meaning.

Anyways, I'm curious about ISTJ and INTP pairing strictly looking at the cognitive functions. [MENTION=25111]cameo[/MENTION] Do you think ISTJ and INTP pairing are good? Do you think it's a good idea for people to pair up with others when their weakness is their strongest point? ISTJ have weak Ne and which is INTP's most frequent function.

I think that you make a good point regarding Ne being the weakest function for ISTJs and the strong for INTPs; I would say that it is probably possible for the two to make a good pair for that reason if the individuals get along. I mean, if you take two people who have nothing in common or who have different interests, styles, etc., then they're probably not going to get along regardless of what their personality types are. I've mentioned in other threads that one of my best friends is an ENFP, whose dominant function is also Ne (although ENFPs have more functions in common with ISTJs than INTPs do and ENFPs and INTPs are very different, but still), and even though we are very opposite people, we still get along quite well. People are obviously much more than their MBTI type or whatever so I don't see anything other than individual differences that would prevent ISTJs and INTPs from being a good pair who are capable of balancing each other out.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I still think INTP and ISTJ aren't superb pairings due to ISTJ Ne being the achille's heel for the relationship. ESTJ and INTP is a more exceptional pairing. I suppose people can do whatever they want.

cameo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Fair enough. I still think it's too limiting to try and decide who might get along just based on MBTI type. There are a lot of factors that influence why any given individuals might or might not get along.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see this pairing having problems, due to INTPs being abstract and ISTJs being practical. Also, ISTJs are action-oriented, while INTPs tend to take their time dwelling on possibilities. I myself tend to get a little impatient with INTPs, and Perceivers in general, because while they're still dissecting every detail and weighing every factor, I've already come to a decision, and I'm ready to do something. And Perceivers often think I'm trying to rush them. And if there's one thing an INTP doesn't appreciate, it's being rushed.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I definitely tend towards slowness and caution in some matters. I don't want to embarrass someone or make things harder for them. I'd be willing to give a fair shake at a relationship with an ISTJ, though. What have I got to lose?