• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and their Perception of the Golden Rule

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NTs, what's your view of the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as others unto you,"? Does your auxiliary Te/Ti function approach the Golden Rule based on factual information as opposed to humanitarian information? I'm quite curious to see how you NTs approach ethical questions/problems. :)

Martin997

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
i dont like it as a rule for its more complicated than that, it all depends on the deed done, the situation it was done in, the people involved and the relationship between the people (etc. I who "it" has been done to and the one I would retaliate on).

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
NTs, what's your view of the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as others unto you,"? Does your auxiliary Te/Ti function approach the Golden Rule based on factual information as opposed to humanitarian information? I'm quite curious to see how you NTs approach ethical questions/problems. :)

How much WoW credit does trading in the golden rule give you? That's an important consideration.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

It is one of the "foundational" things in my life, that I try to consciously work out each and every day. That's not to say that I do it perfectly (there are always new things that I'm seeing in myself where I don't treat people the way I'd like to be treated), but it is indeed very important to me. I believe that if everyone did this, there would be much less need for government, managers, law enforcement, courts, etc. Simply put, the world would be a happier place.

Add: I would think it would be very widely accepted amongst NT's, since it also holds true logically that it would make the world a better place to live. If all of your neighbors really did to you what they would want done unto themselves, think about how good you would have it. You'd have dinners being brought to you. If the newspaper guy threw your paper on the curb instead of by your door, an early-morning walker would pick it up and throw up on your porch. If your car broke down on the side of the freeway, someone who knew a lot about cars would stop and help you. If you were tight on money and people knew it someone would say "let me pay your light bill this month", etc, etc, etc, ad finitum. It makes sense then, for us to want to do the same for others - even if we know they wouldn't do it for us.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
well, just looking at the phrasing and words would seem to indicate that the command is suggesting that we are supposed to do for others what we'd hope they'd do for us... which I used to interpret when younger that the bible thought I should do to others what I'd like to have done with me... whether they wanted me to or not! :devil:

now I realize that's not apparently what it's supposed to mean, which makes it a lot less fun :dry:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
never heard about that kind of rule, imo that rule of yours sounds pretty damn stupid, must be some american thing. where i live we say: dont do enything to others that you wouldnt want to be done to you.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ 'tis the bible that he's quoting, my dear person :)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
never heard about that kind of rule, imo that rule of yours sounds pretty damn stupid, must be some american thing. where i live we say: dont do enything to others that you wouldnt want to be done to you.

The rule is actually "do unto others as you would want done unto you".

The bolded part was not included in the original post.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't accept it. It would mean that I expect other people to behave like myself in a given circumstance, which means that I become the standard against which I measure other people's behavior.
Sometimes I'm grateful that other people do what I can't bring myself to do, and someone it's good that somebody does something I wouldn't do myself (Anyone noticed it's Someday?).
If everybody behaved like me, mail would take ages to be delivered and people would cease talking to each other in simple phrases. And just because I want to be treated in a certain way doesn't mean that this applies to people in general.

To me, it's more about specific situations than about general principles because there can always be exceptions.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No I don't apply that type of thinking. I do unto others what I think they would like me to do if I like/respect/am friends with them, just avoid them if I don't like them. I think that type of thinking is flawed, because other people are different from me, and what they expect from others is different from what I expect.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't accept it. It would mean that I expect other people to behave like myself in a given circumstance, which means that I become the standard against which other people's behavior is measured, and this seems slightly off.
Sometimes I'm grateful that other people do what I can't bring myself to do, and someone it's good that somebody does something I wouldn't do myself (Anyone noticed it's Someday?).
If everybody behaved like me, mail would take ages to be delivered and people would cease talking to each other in simple phrases.
To me, it's more about specific situations than about general principles because there can always be exceptions .

I don't understand your explanation, but it could just be the way I'm reading it. The rule states that we should do to others as we would want done unto ourselves. So, using your example of delivering mail late: It means that since you would want your own mail delivered on time then you should, in turn, deliver others' mail on time. If you wouldn't want yours delivered on time, then I guess you wouldn't deliver theirs on time. But, most people I know want theirs on time.

I too am lazy sometimes and don't "deliver the goods" in a timely manner, so if that's what you were saying, then I get that. But, even though I'm lazy sometimes, I still desire to have my own mail delivered on time, and therefore others have a right to expect/want that as well.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Presumably someone who was into bondage & discipline would be unwise to assume that others might fancy a bit of rough and tumble on the basis of "do unto others..."?

:)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Good to see that most NT's steer clear of abstract "moral dilemmas". As others have said, it really depends on the context. Presumably most christians wouldn't want to be killed, but yet many support the death penalty.

That might sound like a crude example but the point is that abstract moral rules aren't much use in real life - even those who think they believe in them very very rarely are adhere to them properly, because concrete reality has a habit of imposing itself.

I am not amoral though, I believe in morality within time and space, not above it, and based on concrete reality and the needs of people.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't understand it at all.... people don't all like to be treated in the same way. They especially would not want to be treated in the way that I like to be treated :D. I treat people in the way I learn that the want to be treated, and it is entirely different for different people.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
You bring out the worst in me. I did not even know this existed a year ago. Part of me doesn't care. That part of me thinks you deserve it. Prove me wrong--or don't.

MagnifaSnail

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
If the newspaper guy threw your paper on the curb instead of by your door, an early-morning walker would pick it up and throw up on your porch.

Oh, god. I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing. Just had to point this out! :laugh:

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
As a general rule, I find it acceptable, but not because of an expectation of reciprocity. It's more...a side effect of the acknowledgement that everyone is an entity like yourself, and therefore has the same capacity to suffer, and that this suffering isn't different in kind from your own. Suffering itself is, by generalisation from the case of the self, therefore to be avoided.

I don't think it can apply universally, though. I accept that there will be situations in which an act that one might generally avoid, on principles like this, may be the lesser of a range of evils.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
i dont like it as a rule for its more complicated than that, it all depends on the deed done, the situation it was done in, the people involved and the relationship between the people (etc. I who "it" has been done to and the one I would retaliate on).

Oh man.. when i tried telling that to my kindergarten teacher... :doh: