• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] Ti occasional obsession with making sense of feelings

Snow Turtle

I'm curious whether this is an SJ trait or whether NTPs here exhibit the same problem occasionally of becoming obsessive in working out emotions and how it all fits together.

Most of the time it's all fine and dandy when Ti can solve the problem and see the link. But occasionally coming across a problem, such as human behaviour where there are so many contradictary information, trying to establish some sort of logic becomes insanely difficult. When there's no link to be made, searching in past data (This part might be more SJ in nature) to try establish links in those in order to see if there's some correlation in behaviour...

Failing that. Obsess over every little detail, trying to find something that will complete the logic and make sense. Oh dear, rambled on about alot of jumbled words. So, NTPs experience this? Maybe NFJs too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes.

Ti: Wants to create a coherent model of something.
However, behavior and emotions are not necessarily coherent.

Hence: does not compute.
And is frustrating.

Ti also gets into "detail lock" because it needs to know the picture presented is the most coherent and thus most correct. It's not about the details per se, it's about the picture being painted by the details. The Ti is obsessing over the forest and making sure all the trees are accounted for within it.

S is going to grab more for the trees themselves.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
>A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I seek intuative calm from understanding feelings...

If something has happened and what is going on is very obscure I pan handle the situation until my intuition/gut shuts up.... Very rarely does it happen because I'm pretty astude but what I seek in the situation is calm... and that can take a time... especally if people are lieing or delberately trying to mislead.

It's also true when I know something isn't right with a situation but my consious brain hasn't communicated with my consious - I had a situation where someone at work was bugging me about something, it took me a long while to articulate exactly what the issues were, and what do you know... t worked out exactly as my N was leading me to.

Almost all of the time I don't have to fall back to N.... It's all a lot more consious....

Hope that helps and doesn't cloud the issue

Living on N isn't logical... hell of a lot of post rationalisation which happens at the blink of an eye but rational in a directly logical way - defo not... but I do have a particularly quick head... slowere heads may take steps... I free fall

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Most of the time it's all fine and dandy when Ti can solve the problem and see the link. But occasionally coming across a problem, such as human behaviour where there are so many contradictary information, trying to establish some sort of logic becomes insanely difficult. When there's no link to be made, searching in past data (This part might be more SJ in nature) to try establish links in those in order to see if there's some correlation in behaviour...

I can relate to this. Anything involving human behavior and interrelationships is insanely complicated because of all the variables involved. It can become a "feedback loop" cycle, where all the variables are sorted out, thoroughly examined, and filtered through dozens of scenarios until only the most logical explanation/solution remains.

And yes, past data can and often does play a part in this analysis, although it is constantly being modified by other factors deemed relevant going forward (this may be more a function of Ne).

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I have said before, Ti is wholly unsuited/inefficient for working with the social world of people and relationships, the most complex forms of interpersonal interaction. There are no systems, no definite rules, no code of conduct, no regulations. Only a limitless set of variables and potential behaviors that are as illogical and irrational as the universe is vast. The way Ti attempts to understand people is not suited to the enjoyment of interacting with them. It just tries to analyze, make logical sense of, and predict people as if they were mere objects in a world of physical laws, laws which Ti must seek to understand. However, there are no immutable laws that encompass and govern all the behaviors and unique qualities of individuals, and so I find myself dissatisfied with Ti's approach. Constantly trying to apply logic where it essentially does not exist; it's like trying to freeze the ocean in place in hopes that you can perfectly map out every wave and current. But you cannot freeze the ocean, you can only take snapshots, but as soon as you've taken one the entire ocean has changed again. It's all so utterly pointless.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I have said before, Ti is wholly unsuited/inefficient for working with the social world of people and relationships, the most complex forms of interpersonal interaction. There are no systems, no definite rules, no code of conduct, no regulations. Only a limitless set of variables and potential behaviors that are as illogical and irrational as the universe is vast. The way Ti attempts to understand people is not suited to the enjoyment of interacting with them. It just tries to analyze, make logical sense of, and predict people as if they were mere objects in a world of physical laws, laws which Ti must seek to understand. However, there are no immutable laws that encompass and govern all the behaviors and unique qualities of individuals, and so I find myself dissatisfied with Ti's approach. Constantly trying to apply logic where it essentially does not exist; it's like trying to freeze the ocean in place in hopes that you can perfectly map out every wave and current. But you cannot freeze the ocean, you can only take snapshots, but as soon as you've taken one the entire ocean has changed again. It's all so utterly pointless.

STFU n00b.

;)

Bri

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have this 'problem' on occasion... Luckily I am 'big picture' oriented and can usually make enough sense out of things by considering the nature of all mammals, survival instinct, etc. so that I don't have trouble sleeping at night.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

:D

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
You might be surprised, but some INFPs do this quite a lot too. When I, for once, really can't make sense of some complicated emotional situation, my Ti kicks in quite readily (in fact, it's pretty much the only time it kicks in...:D) and I'm going over and over the situation, over and over analyzing every little aspect of it in a very Ti Si Ne way, treating it like a complicated puzzle. When I come to a conclusion, Fi makes the final decision / makes final sense of all the situation. I'd say it's efficient for me in a way, but one can't get stuck at the Ti phase for too long. After one very draining and traumatizing emotional situation it became sort of a bad habit for me to Ti Si things and analyze them from a detached perspective, not really "feeling" anything - actually, it was a signal I was in heavy depression. But I little bit of Ti analysis when Fi just doesn't work can be useful sometimes.

nocebo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yeah... and it makes me feel so frustrated and helpless.
But. Luckily, my attention span is small enough that eventually I get distracted by some other problem. One that can be solved! :D

I try to let it go.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I have this 'problem' on occasion... Luckily I am 'big picture' oriented and can usually make enough sense out of things by considering the nature of all mammals, survival instinct, etc. so that I don't have trouble sleeping at night.

Te has the same problem of understanding that Ti does, except Te errors on the side of generalizing and making mental shortcuts that. For what Te lacks in accuracy of understanding people, it makes up for it with its ability to smooth over the discrepancies. Ti is more accurate with its greater focus on the individual parts, but it can get so caught up in that game that it is brought to a hault once it hits a kink.

A good analogy in how they try to understand people might be in saying that Ti tries to understand the forest by looking at the individual trees (the components of the system), while Te tries to understand the trees by looking at the whole forest (the whole system itself).