• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Do you believe in soulmates?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, sorry. Is this like that the rose won't smell as lovely if it's not called a rose?

Meh. You just wrote that because of a chemically programmed instruction in your brain, you can't fool me into thinking you're actually sorry! *hmph*

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Just to clarify, my personal definition of a soulmate doesn't necessary have to involve a relationship that is romantic, or any overly romanticized notion of it. It is purely a situation where two souls - if you believe in the concept of 'souls', or at least, the 'entity' that makes us, us - are completely in tune with each other; a connection and bond is so strong, so compatible, that there is no denying that the 'soul' in us is stirred within and inextricable from each other. It doesn't have to be linked with 'fate', 'destiny' or most definitely not the divine aid of 'God's guiding hand'.

Also, my personal thoughts are that there can be more than one 'soulmate' in any individual''s life.

Okay, now that your definition has become clearer, yes I do believe in that. I was mistaken in what I thought you originally meant.

I think that with this definition you can have numerous soulmates. And if you're fortunate you can find them all throughout your life.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, I believe. I've had soulmates ... they have been NFs. They have helped me through some very existentially tough times in my life. I feel they are truly the conscience of the planet. Now if I could only hang onto one. <cease gushing/>

Cloudblue

Amazing Spambot!
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
I wish there was something like soulmates, but there is not such a thing. There is no such thing as finding the prefect mate, everyone has their flaws and positive attributes. The thing is whether or not someone can put up with them...

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Considering it would mean that there is only *ONE* person on the entire face of the planet whom yeu are destined to be with? No.

It's kind of obvious when yeu think about it, especially if yeu factor in that it's moreso just a weak attempt to romanticize a basic instinct (monogamy).

There was a quote I'd seen about it once but can't seem to find it anymore, basically said "Soulmates are a concept created by florists, and milked by hallmark."

If someone yeu love dies or for any reason splits up with yeu, then either A: they weren't yeur soulmate after all no matter how much yeu loved them, or B: yeu're doomed to never ever love again ever no matter whot.

Both are ridiculous notions that should've been tossed out hundreds of years ago.

There's quite a few people compatible with everyone at any one time... just some have more of them, or in a closer proximity or situation than others.

In any case, I'm all for love, but I strictly stick to the belief that true love is truly blind, and soulmates have no part in its' bizarre dance.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Considering it would mean that there is only *ONE* person on the entire face of the planet whom yeu are destined to be with? No.

It's kind of obvious when yeu think about it, especially if yeu factor in that it's moreso just a weak attempt to romanticize a basic instinct (monogamy).

There was a quote I'd seen about it once but can't seem to find it anymore, basically said "Soulmates are a concept created by florists, and milked by hallmark."

If someone yeu love dies or for any reason splits up with yeu, then either A: they weren't yeur soulmate after all no matter how much yeu loved them, or B: yeu're doomed to never ever love again ever no matter whot.

Both are ridiculous notions that should've been tossed out hundreds of years ago.

There's quite a few people compatible with everyone at any one time... just some have more of them, or in a closer proximity or situation than others.

In any case, I'm all for love, but I strictly stick to the belief that true love is truly blind, and soulmates have no part in its' bizarre dance.

lol for some reason your tone reminds me of the way bertrand russell would cut apart the flaws in religion;)

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
lol for some reason your tone reminds me of the way bertrand russell would cut apart the flaws in religion;)

I had to check up on some of his stuff; while I didn't see any quotes of his about religion, his stance on the whole israel thing I found rather interesting, as well as the method of writing.

In my 'grrrr' tone I can see a match there, but normally I'm not that harsh in tone. Usually. Sometimes. On occasion.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
Naah, not really. Sooner or later you'll still experience that every human being is just another human being. Anyway it's just my thoughts and as I'm still young, I believe they can change a lot.

proximo

I believe that two people can become soulmates in the process of a lifelong relationship. But I think this applies to virtually any two people if they're committed and dedicated enough. I don't think it does happen too often, because mostly people just quit too easily, long before the stage when it's possible for them to truly know each other well enough.

And the idea that there is one special person "out there" who you'll know instantly is Right For You is just a crock of shit. You can't know anyone that well until you've lived with them at least a couple of decades. You might think you do, and tell yourself you do, because you want to, but reality's just around the corner.

A shrink once said to me (off the record) that soul mates are basically like siblings you're allowed to fuck - you can't get that close to anyone until you've lived a significant and formative chunk of your life expectancy at close quarters with them, sharing a room with them and with your lives inextricably linked with no option of exit from the situation. And you're still talking to each other, and haven't tried to kill each other for at least a year or two.

Anyone want his card? :laugh:

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I don't believe in a soul, so I guess I can't believe in soulmates. However I do believe that two people can love each other, to the extent that this means profound admiration of a persons mind and strength of character, a spark of attraction, and a bond built through common experience.

"Soulmates" implies this is something existing in the realm of the supernatural. I disagree with that. Rather the extent to which future events cannot seperate two people is directly proprotional to the realm of real, lived experience together and the emotional and intellectual bonds which this establishes over time. A person is the result of their experience and so are relationships.

lastrailway

No, I don't.

I do believe in people being in similar wavelengths and I believe in quick and effortless connection with some people. I have had this "Yeah, I totally know what you mean" feeling with people I hardly know and, sometimes, by taking the time to get to know them better, it has been proved not to be superficial.

I think that, no matter what our train of thought is, it's never gonna be too original. There will be some people that have had similar or proportional experiences and that they have perceived them and assimilated them in similar ways. That gives this "dejavu" feeling, but I really think there's nothing more to it.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, I believe in soulmates, but I believe there can be more than one for a person and that it doesn't have to be romantic (think David and Jonathan in the Bible).

freedom geek

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Not really. I do require a certain list of traits for someone to be my mate and those people may be rather rare but there is no soul mate per se.

Last edited:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Soul mates are found. Soul mates are the result of happenstance and coincidence, which only appears fated in hindsight. We look back upon all the events that brought us to this other person and it is impossible to imagine it in any other way. Could you have had a close bond with another person of a similar level? Possibly. But, how can you know? Alternate realities are worthless aspects of rumination.

I try to ground myself in the boundless complex actuality of Life.