• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Do you believe in soulmates?

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The idea that there is a soulmate for everyone is bold.

But in the face of around 6.900.000.000 people living on earth, I'ld say one needs to be very bold to not believe in the idea.

This, yes.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think a lot of stupid people have soul mates. They make kids and those dumb kids meet their soul mates and they make kids etc..

Smart people know its just the luck/law of averages of having someone around who is fuckable and who will put up with your crap long enough to beget kids and…well thats just not very romantic...not very motivating.

So the smart ones tend not to have as many kids and the dumb ones go forth and multiple (or at least add). And NASCAR flourishs because dumb people like to watch cars drive around in circles real fast.

And thats why we (the U.S.) voted in George Bush Jr.

...prolly Obama too (because when we see he hasn't done much of anything except expand on George Ws policy you kind of remember his resume was pretty shity)

And I? I am just reading Proust between jack off sessions waiting for the world dumbshit saturation point to hits it peak to the point where the power grid fails and the lights go out and we all move back to the caves.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think a lot of stupid people have soul mates. They make kids and those dumb kids meet their soul mates and they make kids etc..

Smart people know its just the luck/law of averages of having someone around who is fuckable and who will put up with your crap long enough to beget kids and…well thats just not very romantic...not very motivating.

So the smart ones tend not to have as many kids and the dumb ones go forth and multiple (or at least add). And NASCAR flourishs because dumb people like to watch cars drive around in circles real fast.

...prolly Obama too (because when we see he hasn't done much of anything except expand on George Ws policy you kind of remember his resume was pretty shity)

And I? I am just reading Proust between jack off sessions waiting for the world dumbshit saturation point to hits it peak to the point where the power grid fails and the lights go out and we all move back to the caves.
:rofl1:Gotta luv ya.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

that's prolly where your soul mate is waiting for you, spamtar. :smile:

md5fungi

MBTI Type
INTP
I guess I don't know what people mean when they use the term "soulmate".

Have you ever met a person that nearly completely understood you, that you could relate to on several different levels but at the same time were completely invigorated by?

That might fit the definition... if the interest is mutual and it somehow never fades. Then I suppose I'd believe in it. Will the interest never fade, however? I have no idea.

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I believe in soulmates - as in several people you are destined to hook up with and have meaningful encounters with. It doesn't have to be romantically, sometimes you can experience pure love in close friendships too. Someone you feel like you're deeply connected to even if you don't know them very well (yet). Michael Newton writes about groups of souls who choose to incarnate together, to share a common learning experience. ("Journey of souls", "Destiny of souls")

I'm sure there's more than one soulmate for every person :)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say the fact that there are ~7 billion people on earth means you'd have to be pretty bold to believe the idea that only one person on the entire face of the planet is the right one for you.

There are a lot of people out there that are similar enough to any given person to have a successful relationship and feel like "soulmates" who were "meant for each other."

The idea that there's one exact person that's predestined to be your mate and no one else will work is stupid, though. Considering that you only meet about .0000000000001% of the world's population in your life, virtually no one would ever find the right match, if this were the case.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
yes and no, I do beleive you fit better with some than other, but I don't beleive their is just one person...

redacted

No soulmates. Just a silly romantic ideal.

I think of it as a sort of threshold thing -- there's some scoring system of traits for each possible partner. Observed traits are tallied in some function and if the resulting value is high enough, the relationship will work. The function itself depends on whatever the person's psychological state happens to be at the time. The output of the function changes when psychological states change or when the possible partner's trait list changes. And the threshold point for a relationship being worth it can also change with psychological state.

There's some reassessment process in which you re-evaluate your partner regularly (which is basically running the current trait list through the current function and using the current threshold point), which is why relationships end all the time!

But yeah, soulmates? Don't see how that could be consistent with my understanding.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i belive in mind mates

Chloe

I dont believe in soulmates :cry:

I even feel currently like I am unable to fall in love ! :(

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I don't particularly believe in soul mates. I believe it's more of a mixture of personality, character, and life outlook.
+ histories

+1

Strange it seems sometimes people enter your life that seems so perfectly timed. (karma! destiny! God! etc.)
That's probably one aspect of the whole "soulmate" thing. I think it's just another name to describe ^.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Strange. I thought that way about my credit card debt before. I don't 'see' it, but hell, it's there. :)

"To believe and to know are the two focal points of an ellipse"

*cough* I tend to remember quotes I read once but I've no clue who said it

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think the possibility of feeling a "soul connection" is always there, it's just how we're "tuned" at a given moment that determines the way things work out.

If you're not able to experience your friendships as "cosmic bonds" because you think such a thing is a logical fallacy, then indeed you'll never find a soulmate. I don't know if that's regrettable; I guess we're just predisposed to think that way, or not. The illusion of having a soulmate might be pleasant and consoling at times; on the other hand, it doesn't say anything about how much you practically contribute to eachothers wellbeing.

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
Peanut butter is the soulmate of jelly
Peanut butter is the soulmate of chocolate
Chocolate is the soulmate of mints
Chocolate is the soulmate of strawberries
Chips is the soulmate of salsa
Chips is the soulmate of nacho cheese

I like it. Also...

Tobacco is the soulmate of coffee
Tobacco is the soulmate of beer

notsweetynice

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
As others have said, I think that a soulmate is somebody who has many things in common with you, so many that it almost like meeting oneself. We think we are simply 'in love' when actually we have found somebody who has so many of the same genes as us that when we reproduce our offspring will be little [near] clones of us. There is an ease to these rarer relationships and a resonance between parties which seems effortless, at least at first. It is qualitatively different than other relationships which are more common, and not of the soulmate variety.

There also might be a spiritual aspect to this which in nature may have helped in mating and offspring survival. It seems that when two people really hit it off to the point where they consider themselves soulmates there is a psychic component. Some ESP, finishing eachother's sentences, feeling one another's pain are not uncommon.