• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Do you believe in soulmates?

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
Logic tells me that the very idea of there being a soulmate for everyone is borderline retarded.

But my underdeveloped feeling senses tell me that sometimes, when your life aligns itself with that of another human being, things are unexplainable. There is beauty in the idea of it, somehow. A very romantic notion. in contrast to whatever my mind tries to convince me of, I have felt this kind of... primitive emotional connection with people before.

Then I switch back to my logical senses and think that it's all a matter of personality and type matchings, coincidence and the luck of opportunity.

What do you guys believe? Share your experiences please!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not even so sure that I beleive in souls! :laugh:

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
This is interesting because my husband and I were talking about it a few months ago. We are in love but we both came to the same conclusion. One soulmate, no. But, I think that there are very few people you could find in this big world who would make you happy and be considered the love of your life. I don't think there is just "one" soul mate though. As I said the number is probably small, but it's bigger than one.

P

Phantonym

I believe in being with one person at a time. Some people like to define that as being "soulmates". Whatever rocks their boat. You might as well be sharing your soul when you've decided to share everything else. The most ideal would be being with that one person for the rest of your life. More often than not, however, relationships have life spans and people come and go. Whether a relationship lasts for a few years or a few decades doesn't matter because maybe, for the people involved in each of them, they are the "soulmates" during that time.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No. Not souls. But this world is smaller than we give it credit for. And so are we.

I always say, you'll run into yourself someday.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Logic tells me that the very idea of there being a soulmate for everyone is borderline retarded.

But my underdeveloped feeling senses tell me that sometimes, when your life aligns itself with that of another human being, things are unexplainable. There is beauty in the idea of it, somehow. A very romantic notion. in contrast to whatever my mind tries to convince me of, I have felt this kind of... primitive emotional connection with people before.

Then I switch back to my logical senses and think that it's all a matter of personality and type matchings, coincidence and the luck of opportunity.

What do you guys believe? Share your experiences please!

Awww, the logical INTP trying to figure out a romantic concept. Sooo cute! :wubbie::smooch:

Addressing "Destiny": I believe God wants good things for His people as we can handle them. Therefore, I believe there's somebody out there for us, if we are ready (by His standards), as we so desire.

Addressing "The One": Here's the thing though...I don't think there's just one possible SO. I think we've probably got a small herd out there. It's not the end of the world if one of my matches dies before we find each other, there's probably several more, of varying types (probably leaning more N than not, but still...), that I would be perfectly happy with, and committed to for the rest of my life.

Think about it: you've been attracted to different kinds of people in your lifetime; type probably only plays a huge role so far as NF/NT/SJ/SP. That's 'bout it.

Eowyn

MBTI Type
ESfP
Enneagram
I don't particularly believe in soul mates. I believe it's more of a mixture of personality, character, and life outlook.

VagrantFarce

heyy.png

we don't take kindly to your type around here :azdaja:

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Soulmate is a very interesting topic to talk about. I love the subject in general because I am a romantic, but I can also see reality.

First of all one must be on the same page as what is the definition of soulmate. Here is the definition I got from wikipedia.

Soulmate: A soulmate is somebody with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, love, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, and/or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul – which is thought to be the ultimate soulmate, the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join.

I believe most people would think of this when they think about soulmates. That definition is really intense and would fit perfectly for the NF that I am. Last year, my definition of soulmate has changed quite a bit.

My definition: Someone who you share a very close bond with. You can have a very close bond with more than one person at a time. This bond can also have different definitions, but to make things simpler, lets just say it is two people who have absolute trust in one another and "GET" each other.

I came up with a neat analogy for this by turning people into food.

Peanut butter is the soulmate of jelly
Peanut butter is the soulmate of chocolate
Chocolate is the soulmate of mints
Chocolate is the soulmate of strawberries
Chips is the soulmate of salsa
Chips is the soulmate of nacho cheese

By comparing people to food, you can see there is all kinds of different soulmates for each type of food. You can have your mom, dad, brother, sister, best friend, teacher, etc as a soulmate. It isn't just limited to your husband or wife.

Now I still believe when one decides to marry they should stay together for the rest of their lives, but that is a different subject all together.

Anyways, that is my view on this subject.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Nope, nuh-uh, don't belive it. I actually think it can be self-defeating to think there is this "one perfect person"...becuase then all of you become quite a disapointment :newwink:

I do think there needs to be a special combination of attraction and compatability that can be difficult to find.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'll believe it when I see it.

'Til then I'm not going to talk outta' my ass.

Qre:us

One can become another's soulmate if they get to have time, patience to connect to each other's "souls" or whatever.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No. I think the person who could be a "soulmate" differs greatly depending on the stage of life one is in.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't believe in it, no. Unless it just means high compatibility.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The idea that there is a soulmate for everyone is bold.

But in the face of around 6.900.000.000 people living on earth, I'ld say one needs to be very bold to not believe in the idea.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
wanting somthing to exist =/= somthing existing

real relationships are based off of hard work and commitment, Im sorry but there is no Edward Cullen out there to turn you into a sparkling spiderman vampire.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I was just thinking about this about an hour ago. To me, soul=core self=essence. Your soul is who you are behind the mask. There are people who will come into your world and inspire you to open your mind and your heart in ways that no one else has before. Their presence in your life, no matter how long they're around, positively influences and impacts you forevermore. They can see through you, and they only want to connect more. They understand the essence of who you are, and just when you need it, help you to better understand as well.

Soul mates don't have to be romantic partners or have romantic interest in each other, and I don't think there's anything mystical or magical about them. I don't believe in "the one". They aren't perfect people, just perfect for you and what you need. I've met three people who I could easily call "soul mates" of mine. One was a romantic interest, the other is one of my best friends, and the last was a older person who was like a mentor to me. All three were positive catalyst for change during transitional periods in my life.

ElusiveRain

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think there is only one match for each person, but soulmates do exist. It's not just compatibility, because I think almost any two people could be compatible, provided they work at it--That's almost:).

Like has already been said, a soulmate is someone who 'gets' you, and to whom you can give that same understanding. And there's more to it than that, but I don't think words would adequately describe the connection.