• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Older NTs - question

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
When you're in a social situation where it seems like it's going to be nothing but boredom, you can't come up with a decent means of conversation to save your life, and sticking around will leave a bad impression - how do you bail out gracefully?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
When you're in a social situation where it seems like it's going to be nothing but boredom, you can't come up with a decent means of conversation to save your life, and sticking around will leave a bad impression - how do you bail out gracefully?

If you mean, spending an evening with the family of my brother's wife... ?

Well... Either:

1/ I forget myself with a good book, or a good theoretical puzzle to solve. This way I'll ignore the rest of world around me. Works especially well for introverts or if you have a very exciting competition to plan ahead.

2/ I find a lame excuse to quit the scene. Most sophisticated excuses are the ones where the audience seem only partly responsible for your sudden departure. Don't hesitate to be dramatic, to invent a situation that looks really out of the ordinary, because -> ordinary excuses never work, and always attract suspicion ->it will be easier to remember, if you have to play this comedy once again.

3/ Pretend you were busy and that you have completely forgotten you had a dinner with them. Even if you're not the kind of person that forgets schedules, sometimes it's useful to forget them on purpose, and get the reputation generally associated with that light behaviour. This way, people do not feel offended because you despise them (true reason), but rather because they can blame your "legendary forgetfulness" (imaginary reason). It's less worst, if you understand what I mean. They won't feel threatened, and hence, may behave less aggressively.

4/ Mix the three previous solutions. But always remember to never hesitate to cheat, lie, and be amoral if necessary. After all, if what they can offer you is only boredom THEY deserve it, not you. :cheese:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Usually I just make up an excuse -- something believable.

- Tired and have a busy day tomorrow.
- Need to make some phone calls and/or do some more errands before the day runs out.
- Getting a headache.

Usually it's the first two, and I *do* actually do the errands and/or make the calls etc. There are lots of reasonable excuses to cut something shorter, as long as you've already put in a little time.

Let's face it, the party doesn't revolve around us. It's okay if we leave. People will survive. Typically the response is, "Aw, bum, wish you could stay longer, hope you get everything done," and life moves on.

If you want drama, it can be the "OMG I JUST GOT A TEXT, MY FRIEND'S WIFE / MY FRIEND IS HAVING A BABY AND I HAVE TO GO THEY NEED HELP!!!" :)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
If I can I avoid the situation all together, make and excuse not to be there (and I can be damned unsocial at times).

If I absolutely have to be there, I tend to be a bit withdrawn and chat in the kitchen or out the way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I absolutely have to be there, I tend to be a bit withdrawn and chat in the kitchen or out the way.

That's another option.

Sometimes I'll just say I'm tired and I sit in a corner and listen to other people talk... or watch TV with people if they are doing that, or watch the kids play, etc.

You can also go hide out in the bathroom, or say you need a breath of air and go outside and not come back for awhile.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Let's face it, the party doesn't revolve around us. It's okay if we leave. People will survive. Typically the response is, "Aw, bum, wish you could stay longer, hope you get everything done," and life moves on.

And what if you're not a lonely, discreet introvert, and that the party precisely revolves around us? Hmm? :harhar:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
You can also go hide out in the bathroom, or say you need a breath of air and go outside and not come back for awhile.

In the UK thats a big choice cost you know it's gonna be freezing outside, even in mid sumer ;)

Actually I don't always avoid parties, sometimes I possitively enjoy them....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And what if you're not a lonely, discreet introvert, and that the party precisely revolves around us? Hmm? :harhar:

Sorry, Blackmail... I wasn't thinking of you, of course, when I said all of that! :wubbie:

Qre:us

so, same conclusion everywhere?

Oh yes, and might I add:

You're so smart, insightful, original, charming and funny, Blackmail! If I had your talents, why, I'd be arrogant too. I mean, such marvelous talents, they are!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So'd you get some good answers, OMT?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I stick around for some graceful period of time and try to learn what makes them so boring to avoid it the next time.

If it's boring in a non-eventful manner, I might show a bit of boredom too, it's okay, as boring people probably don't have a clue to my boredom / interest level either, so they won't notice. These kinds of people probably have low energy levels, so they might just guess I'll go to sleep or something like that.

If it's boring in an active manner, I'll attempt to enjoy it for a while, show my approval - and hell, I can approve for some boring things for a while - thank for the event and leave. If they're superficial enough (probable cause of boredom in the first place), they'll believe I had fun and just had some stuff to do.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
So'd you get some good answers, OMT?

They make sense, but I'm not sure they fit the context I'm talking about. Namely, there are some people around that I would enjoy talking to on a smaller scale, but others are around who completely ruin the circumstances.

If you get what I'm saying.

Qre:us

They make sense, but I'm not sure they fit the context I'm talking about. Namely, there are some people around that I would enjoy talking to on a smaller scale, but others are around who completely ruin the circumstances.

If you get what I'm saying.

Is there ever an opportunity to grasp at the beginning or end strings of a conversation, and make it your own, with those that you do enjoy conversing with? It seems, if it is larger, rather than a smaller scale party, that there would be enough conversation mates to go around, at least a few times, for everyone? I don't know if your boredom with the situation stops you from trying to seek out, or create, the opportunities for conversation that you would otherwise engage in (with those very same people), if not for the setting [the "other" people]. So, in a way, make the setting diffuse into the background. Focus on the 'interesting' people and try to find an 'in' for conversations that you do enjoy with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
don't know if I count as older or not... I'm closer to 30 than 20 though :boohoo:

I have a billion, trillion excuses ready to get out of anything... if nothing else feigning a headache is always a good option :)

Of course, being an attention whore, I tend to steer the conversation towards something that I find interesting... :devil:

And for some reason I always get invited everywhere :doh:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
moved some posts to the OT thread in the graveyard.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
challenge yourself to enjoy it

or tell them they are getting boooooring