• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Sleep Disorders & Regularity of Dreams

CyberHiker

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6
My father (INTJ) and I suffer from Sleep apnea and Insomnia respectively. I would like to know if any other NT's suffer from a sleeping disorder. When did the disorder start? Does it regularly appear? If you do manage to fall asleep in a phase, do you remember your dreams or not?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can be a terrible sleeper, bad crowded head... if I work at it I cna resolve it, but I've never been clinicall diagnosed... it doens't have a huge nasty impact on me, I cna get by on limited sleep but it's not comfortable and I fair better with more sleep

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I can be a terrible sleeper, bad crowded head... if I work at it I cna resolve it, but I've never been clinicall diagnosed... it doens't have a huge nasty impact on me, I cna get by on limited sleep but it's not comfortable and I fair better with more sleep

I'd agree with this. I have no official sleep disorder but it usually takes me a long time to go to sleep because my brain won't turn off and let me be! :doh: Though (and I don't know if this counts or not) I did have a period of about 2 years where I was afraid to sleep, and so slept very irregularly and little.

EDIT: Forgot to mention about dreams. I used to remember them rarely until I became interested in dream lucidity. I began recording whatever I could remember of them in a diary every morning, and as time went on started remembering more and more. Now I dream quite frequently, and remember quite a bit. Still haven't had much success on the lucid dream front though - only 2 to date.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I take very long to fall asleep for the same reasons as not being able to turn my brain off and dreams are rare.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have sleep apnea too; apparently it's hereditary (thanks Dad).

Memphis

That would be, yes. I think I'm suffering from a spinning mind. I get all creative and strategic at night. Knowing that everybody else is asleep gives me a sense of peace, so it's easier for me to focus on stuff. And I get a head start! At least that's what I tell myself, and then I wake up at 2 pm the next day and the rest of the world has been productive for several hours already. Even if I get sleepy, I just can't bring myself to go to bed, cause I'm afraid I'll miss out on shit.

I had this theory that I would sleep like I eat. We are creatures of habit, so I can basically train my body to get used to anything I set my mind to. So I thought that I would take a lot of naps, instead of getting my X hrs. of sleep. Just like some people who wanna cut some weight divide their meals into several smaller meals, instead of 2 big ones, I would spread out my hours of sleep during the course of the day. Eureka! I think I might have thought of that idea at 4am.

Oh, dreams. I'm practising lucid dreaming, so that my sleep-time won't be a total waste. But somehow, I see no correlation between running in mid-air and dreams.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
That would be, yes. I think I'm suffering from a spinning mind. I get all creative and strategic at night. Knowing that everybody else is asleep gives me a sense of peace, so it's easier for me to focus on stuff. And I get a head start! At least that's what I tell myself, and then I wake up at 2 pm the next day and the rest of the world has been productive for several hours already. Even if I get sleepy, I just can't bring myself to go to bed, cause I'm afraid I'll miss out on shit.

I had this theory that I would sleep like I eat. We are creatures of habit, so I can basically train my body to get used to anything I set my mind to. So I thought that I would take a lot of naps, instead of getting my X hrs. of sleep. Just like some people who wanna cut some weight divide their meals into several smaller meals, instead of 2 big ones, I would spread out my hours of sleep during the course of the day. Eureka! I think I might have thought of that idea at 4am.Oh, dreams. I'm practising lucid dreaming, so that my sleep-time won't be a total waste. But somehow, I see no correlation between running in mid-air and dreams.

The great leonardo da vinci used to do this i tried this in the summer holidays once but im still in school so it became impossoble

Memphis

The great leonardo da vinci used to do this i tried this in the summer holidays once but im still in school so it became impossoble

As far as I can tell, it doesn't work. Not for long. Not for me and the way I live. It's great for a couple of days, and you think you're a genius for coming up with such a life-hack! You tell all your friends, and they all think you're a mad man, but you knooow you're on to something. But after a while, the hours you are awake become more unbearable and you're wondering why you keep fucking things up and then you end up sleeping for 2 days straight and you realize, I'm not a robot. :shock:

But maybe I gave in too soon!

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I have sleep apnea (or some sort of sleeping disorder) and I know my dad has it.

It started almost a year ago. I disregarded my irregular sleeping/non fulfilling sleeping as just a phase, or resulting from stress. But it has been keeping up and really, really bothering me. I started having nightmares as well, that would last for like a week.

I sometimes remember my dreams, but not often anymore.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I don't have any disorders relating to falling and/or staying asleep, nor do I recall ever having any. My father had sleep apnea at one point, but that was from obesity, a condition I'm not afflicted with at this point in time. I generally go to sleep when I feel my day is over. (read: when I'm tired and don't want to struggle for awakeness)

That being said, I'm moderately sensitive to my sleeping environment, but not moreso than the average person. (thus, not much of a disorder) I prefer the room temperature to be somewhere in the 45-65 Fahrenheit range. Itchy sheets and/or pillows (as are insufficient pillows) are bad and I prefer all lights OFF. Loud noise, including a television = no. Save a few excursions to hotels, I sleep on the floor, usually with some sort of mat underneath. You could say I've tried to optimize my comfort.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
My psychology professor suggested that I may have mild narcolepsy since I have sleep paralysis while I'm going asleep... Which means I slip into REM sleep after a few minutes of closing my eyes. And I do seem to have the symptoms of narcolepsy. I do at times have insomnia and have problems falling asleep at night, but once I'm asleep I'm pretty much dead for 10+ hours.

She was probably right, but I really don't care. I'll only get it checked out when it becomes a problem. I haven't had sleep paralysis for awhile and I usually get it several times a week. Yay me.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Like many I take forever to fall asleep.

How about content of dreams? I often have dreams where I feel like I'm paralyzed; either I want to yell at someone or hit someone (last time I was being attacked), but I can't say anything or move. Very very creepy. Anyone else?

Memphis

How about content of dreams? I often have dreams where I feel like I'm paralyzed; either I want to yell at someone or hit someone (last time I was being attacked), but I can't say anything or move. Very very creepy. Anyone else?

Yes, I can relate. When I was younger, I often dreamt about being separated from my parents in different ways. When I tried to call for their attention, no or very little sound came out. Very frustrating! I still have those dreams. Not about my parents though.

I also have dreams where I'm running from danger, but I can't seem to pick up any speed. Also very frustrating!

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Does one need to have a sleep disorder in order to be an NT?

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
my dreams are nearly always good like it's showing me what i could become but doesn't show how to get there.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have insomnia. It's better than it use to be but I have at least a few days out of the month where it's maddening. I've tried drugs like Ambien. It works for a couple weeks. I get use to it or something. I've also tried sedatives and narcotic but they leave me hungover the next day so no help there. Exercise does help. All my dreams are vividly colored and they all have the Boogie Nights soundtrack. :D Ok, not all but a lot do. They're all vivid though. Either terrifyingly so or kinky as all get out. I try to write them down.

Oh I have those too! I hate them. Or I can't find my children. I had one for a while about a baby. I lost her. As in I misplaced her. I found her in a suitcase. She was fine but I have no idea what it means. It was very disturbing. I guess I would to talk to my husband in my sleep during these dreams. He asked me one morning who Sophie-Anne was. I was like....the Queen of Louisiana in True Blood. Why? :shock:

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
I also keep dreaming that either I have a deformed baby, or I have a normal baby but haven't been taking care of it. As in, I haven't fed it in 4 days. MAKE IT STOP.

Memphis

I also keep dreaming that either I have a deformed baby, or I have a normal baby but haven't been taking care of it. As in, I haven't fed it in 4 days. MAKE IT STOP.

I've had these creepy baby dreams, too. Someone gives me a baby. It looks normal from afar, and when they hand me the baby, I take a closer look at it and its' eyes has turned black!! I drop the baby on its' head in chock.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

:yes: I have no idea where mine are coming from either. I never went days without taking care of my real babies or leaving them in suitcases. :huh:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
My psychology professor suggested that I may have mild narcolepsy since I have sleep paralysis while I'm going asleep... Which means I slip into REM sleep after a few minutes of closing my eyes. And I do seem to have the symptoms of narcolepsy. I do at times have insomnia and have problems falling asleep at night, but once I'm asleep I'm pretty much dead for 10+ hours.

She was probably right, but I really don't care. I'll only get it checked out when it becomes a problem. I haven't had sleep paralysis for awhile and I usually get it several times a week. Yay me.

I've said this elsewhere on the forum, but I also have sleep paralysis multiple times a week. It's not a pleasant experience. Also, no matter how hard I try, I just cannot adapt to a normal sleep schedule. I've tried to force myself to do so, but I revert back to a nocturnal or sleepless pattern as soon as I stop applying pressure of will.