• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Questions to NTPs. When did you realize that...

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
It took me a long time to be aware of other people around me. Not in the "they exist" way, but the "they are more than just characters in my mind". So I have probably always been completely ignorant and unaware that I wasn't an STJ. Something that continually kicks me in the ass (but that I am not changing for anyone) is that I view the world the way a child does still. I don't expect the horrible things in situations. Chalk it up to being a bit off I guess haha.

The one time I remember being heartbroken and really hurt by being different was in Grade 3. It was just before Christmas break and we got to invite a parent to come in a do a craft with us. We were making paper mache globes ornaments... I was so distracted by all the excitement around me and so determined to make my globe special (by trying to build well known landmarks to stick on, Eiffel Tower, Great Wall, etc) that my globe ended up looking like a hot-half finished mess. My Dad (ESTJ) tried to keep me on track, but my mind was somewhere else entirely. When we showed off the globes at the end, my teacher held up mine and made fun of it. I was hurt, and expected my Dad to be as embarrassed as I was. He came to my rescue, applauded my originality and made me feel like gold. I love that globe now, every holiday season.

While I felt horrible that my globe did not look as perfect, clean and elegant as those of the other students, I saw something more.

My Dad brought that experience up while I was visiting them. I go to him for advice when I'm caught in moral dilemmas. I was expressing how frustrated I was with work, being a cube trying to stuff itself into tube. He reminded me that while I didn't always immediately understand the concrete world I was involved in, I could see something more, something beyond the nuts and bolts. He told me "while everyone is looking at how to move through a landscape, you are dreaming of building an empire with fast speed internet connections."

Obviously, I won the draw for some incredible parents.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
I was weird about not wanting to get intro trouble... really big on not getting intro trouble

Me too. I did anything to avoid getting out of trouble. I only got in trouble a few times in my childhood, seriously.

VagrantFarce

Me too. I did anything to avoid getting out of trouble. I only got in trouble a few times in my childhood, seriously.

I had the same compulsion, but it didn't stop me from doing things that would've got me into trouble if anyone had found out. :D If I know I'll get away with it, and it doesn't really hurt anyone directly, I was more likely to do it.

Still do, to be honest.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Never crossed my mind. I was actually wondering why so many other people were so strange during elementary school. I could probably have been typed as INTP by the age of 7 or so. Also I haven't suffered from any of your sources of NTP angst as of yet. I've also had a habit of ignoring any rules that I didn't agree with at least as early as kindergarten.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I wonder when STJs realize that they aren't NTPs.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
this is the disadvantage of having Ti as a secondary and not being able to unknow what you know.

knowing about MBTI and having Ti, you are always analyzing your actions, your thoughts, absolutely everything you freaking do
when you were unaware of the NeTi combo, you were so much more peaceful and just did things as you thought were right...without analyzing yourself too much

this is the main reason as to why i have limited my number of visits to this site...its very hard for me to not hold a third person view of my own fucking life WHILE it is happening...it limits my ability to use cognition for things more relevant in everyday life

now to have a shot at the OP:
the STJ you talk about comes from having a tertiary Fe (which, MAYBE, is not so tertiary for you). Fe is in tune with AND in agreement with the world around you. so to satisfy your Fe (or perhaps because of it..i dunno) you did things because of the world around you and not because you wanted to do them (like really wanted to do them). now that you are aware of self through MBTI, you feel more confident in acting out on your impulses that involve something outside of the norm
make sense?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was weird about not wanting to get intro trouble... really big on not getting intro trouble

Yeah thats what always made me doubt I was an ENTP when I first got into MBTI. I've no idea why I acted like that and still occasionally do.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
...you're not STJ?
In those terms, I found that out three months ago.

Actually, I kinda doubt if most NTPs have a good idea, at least when they were very young, about the notion of multiple intelligence or cognitive processes, and maybe, during their early years, deep within their psyche, they actually believe that they're actually STJs.
I've never thought much about that. Of course I was different than the others and the others were different from each other too. So... no problem.

I think most of the NTPs angst stems from
Angst? Which angst? I've had my share of teenage angst, but I don't see what it has to do with type. It stems from not fulfilling expectations, from realizing everything you do adds to your reputation,...
My teenage years were not really difficult. My husband had more difficulties when he was a teenager than I've had, and he's not an NTP (ESTJ).

1. ESXJ parent wants the child to be STJ.
My parents never wanted me to lose "wonder" and "curiosity" and "imagination" - whatever words they used to indicate the NeTi. Though they did want me to become more attentive to the real world.
(You're so attentive to details when painting, why can't you eat without spilling food?)

2. NTP person blaming himself for discovering NeTi late. And then starts to comtemplate how much of an evolved person he would have been had he realized his NeTi way earlier.
Why?
I knew how my mind worked way before I discovered MBTI. I can describe it better now and that's the merit of the theory.

3. Worse, if it's not the MBTI explanation he discovers, it's probably some psychiatric diagnosis that he has Attention Disorder.
I can't relate to this at all. Probably because I was interested in the subjects taught at school, I paid enough attention there :D So, again, no problems at all!

Those NTPs who attained a good level of self discovery would probably attain a considerable level of maturity but are probably still disappointed with the fact that they will never be realistically understood by someone else.
Again I can't relate. Other people understood me before I did.
There will always be a gap between you and the other people - only because they are different from you. I don't think NTPs experience more distance to other people than other types. Don't think your suffering is unique.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP

eek, same.
in fact, reading these responses, i'm wondering why ENTP's have a reputation as rule-breakers...?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
eek, same.
in fact, reading these responses, i'm wondering why ENTP's have a reputation as rule-breakers...?

It's probably because they're "clever" when they do break the rules (and they will likely do so being percievers. There are a lot of EXSPs that will try to get away with ANYTHING! But as a result get caught a hell of a lot.

There are a lot of famous ENTPs that do things unconventionally, Feynman for one. I'm sure that being an ENTP comes with a knack for being unconventional, and that's pretty similar to rule breaking... sort of :D

I actually used to steal some of the things that I really really wanted, but got caught and denied it to the very end. I hated that feeling... hmmm, guilt... It's not worth the trouble. I've been offered opportunities to steal, but denied them because I can see so many ways it could go wrong.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah thats what always made me doubt I was an ENTP when I first got into MBTI. I've no idea why I acted like that and still occasionally do.

LOL now-a-days I follow rules if I see there values and ingore the ones I don't... I'd say I was working within most rules.

I usually stay within the law except perhaps speeding in open streches of motorways.

I walk up down stairs, I push rule at work as far as I can take them....

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
eek, same.

ENTP's have respect for rules, but they don't necessarily have respect for authority. In fact ENTP's might be the type that is most concerned with rules, and that is why they want the rules to be effective and make sense. Bad rules should be ignored because they lead to bad behavior or bad consequences. Good rules make everything work more effectively.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm still trying to remember more about what I knew about myself at different ages, but about the rule thing I remember that ever since middle school I only followed rules that I either agreed with anyway, or were totally trivial and wouldn't harm me at all if I followed them (and would eventually lead to time out, detention and worse if I didn't). Luckily a lot of the rules at school that I faced were very trivial, and the teachers were pretty reasonable the few times I came across non-trivial rules and broke them. So most of the time, even nowadays, I look like I'm just going along with what people tell me and showing real obedience, but this relationship with authority is really just the most effective way for necessary rebellion.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Bad rules should be ignored because they lead to bad behavior or bad consequences. Good rules make everything work more effectively.

That could have come out the mouth of Monica in Friends... Rules are good, they keep order in the fun.... LOL

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
That could have come out the mouth of Monica in Friends... Rules are good, they keep order in the fun.... LOL

Heh true, but I think STJ's seem to like rules for their own sake. I really like rules in that I like to see what outcomes they generate. For example I love playing new games and and I like reading through the rules, because it helps me understand the purpose of the game. An elegant game has an elegant rule system and a poor game has a poor rule system.

Whenever a new system is created, whether it be a game, a business, or a set of laws, there needs to be effective rules. Effective rules lead to an effective system.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
eek, same.

yea I thought that, I wonder if it's adult life and more naughty than rule breakers... ..