• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs how do you cope with criticism?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've noticed recently that I constantly get quite a lot of critisism and I've had a lot more than usual recently so I'm curious as to how other ENTPs cope with criticism.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I find it to be a servere hinderance, because I'm not trying to get it perfectly right, I'm just cruising. Most of the time, I'm pretty okay with it. My brother is an ISTP, and he's aways got a critical eye on me whenever I play guitar, he notices when I fail to do a certain technique the right way and critiques it regularly. However, I think critisism is the reason I disliked using the phone, my mother was a receptionist and considered herself the authority when it came to speaking appropriately on the phone, and as a result, hounded me while I was trying to talk... which was rather distressing. I'm not usually hurt by critisism unless it's unfounded and I disagree with it and my disagreement is ignored... which happens sometimes.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Depends.
Criticism on my person = bad.
Criticism on everything else = gold.

- The students of that class said to me your lessons were too difficult. Maybe you should... => OK, I'll try to do better! :yes:
- After reading the first chapter of your new novel, I don't care whether your main character lives or dies => Thank you! :hug:
- You will never be able to write a thesis => :cry:

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Yeah, that. "Everything else" includes my work, art, taste in music, clothing style, and so on. I don't necessarily respond badly to criticism, but in cases- those Tamske stated as "criticism on my person"- I'll respond rather passionately to.
Example: I'm working on a project, and I decide to break a rule; somebody tells me, You can't do that. My response is, Bullshit. Watch me. This doesn't mean I start breaking every rule I can break, rather to break a rule and still come up with an exceptional finished product.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I don't, I'm right and they are wrong. Always.

On the other hand, if people try to help me with something I'm doing I'll listen to their advice.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I like this:

When somebody calls you an asshole, tell them fuck off.

When somebody else calls you an asshole, tell them to fuck off.

When another person after that calls you an asshole, tell them to fuck off.

When, yet another person calls you an asshole, look at yourself before you tell them to fuck off.

And...

Another way to look at it, is instead of letting opinions, criticisms, insults, incentives, or whatever move you—or instead of shutting out the whole world with solid air-tight reinforced impenetrable walls… build doors.

In other words, you make what matters, matter. Because if you really think about it, only you are in control of you.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I like this:

When somebody calls you an asshole, tell them fuck off.

When somebody else calls you an asshole, tell them to fuck off.

When another person after that calls you an asshole, tell them to fuck off.

When, yet another person calls you an asshole, look at yourself before you tell them to fuck off.

And...

Another way to look at it, is instead of letting opinions, criticisms, insults, incentives, or whatever move you—or instead of shutting out the whole world with solid air-tight reinforced impenetrable walls… build doors.

In other words, you make what matters, matter. Because if you really think about it, only you are in control of you.

If I could add just one thing...

I prefer to say to people "A fire... go die in one."

Its just a stylistic difference I know, but I felt it needed to be said. I don't feel that this topic warrants discussion at Thursdays meeting. :D

onlyonemorgan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You want to tell me I'm wrong? Screw you
That's incorrect grammar? Screw you...I talk how I want to. (secretly thinking I will never make such a mistake again)

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I just don't cope with it. There are usually only two situations:
Criticism on my person- shut the f*ck up and look at yourself, buddy.
Constructive criticism on my work or opinion- useful.

And the third one- do you think I care what do you think about it?

Qre:us

Tell 'em, Mama said knock you the fuck out.

Then, follow-through. (oh, stop looking at me so skeptically!)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
How do ENTPs deal with people criticizing them, especially valid criticisms?

Bullshitting. It's an art, but only if done well.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
don't, don't do critsism... I sometimes get arsey about it, but generally don't respond real well to it....

Just say no

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Depends.

- The students of that class said to me your lessons were too difficult. Maybe you should... => OK, I'll try to do better! :yes:
- After reading the first chapter of your new novel, I don't care whether your main character lives or dies => Thank you! :hug:

I'll add validity to this statement by agreeing fully. :hug:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Depends.

I have to agree constructive criticism is more than welcome. I love getting good feedback. :) However I can't stand unconstructive criticism. In that case I might just criticize their criticism. ;)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I handle criticism very well, part of the never considering myself able to have thought of every view so open to more information and not being able to know how others perceive me unless told.

Hell, I don't even care if it's meant to be constructive or not, it's all information that I can use.

I don't appreciate people that question my integrity when criticising, that's the one thing that really irks me, but other than that I assess it from a very analytical and detached pov and ask myself; Does this person have an angle and does their criticism have merit? if the answer is no and no I dismiss it and move on, if they have an angle I use it against them, if it has merit then I become actively aware of what I'm doing or saying that may be negative and change.

Cloudblue

Amazing Spambot!
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
I have to agree constructive criticism is more than welcome. I love getting good feedback. :) However I can't stand unconstructive criticism. In that case I might just criticize their criticism. ;)

I like constructive criticism,it the type of criticism that allows you to find errors in what you have done in order to become better,like a computer upgrade...

However,unconstructive criticism does not really allow you to find errors and most of the time provides no basis...

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
hmm. Interesting and quite comforting as I recently started to get really annoyed at criticisms made by others of me such as being immature and being told to grow up and wasn't sure how I should react as I wasn't sure why they where saying it or how it was constructive. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who wants to just tell them to fuck off!

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
motherfuck criticism. if someone criticizes me, i get supper defensive and lose my cool. how dare they?! who do they think they are telling ME such things?

inferior assholes talking shit.

i either tell them to fuck off or if theyre close, i hit them.
the times when i most hate it is when i know i cant do or say anything to them (i.e. relatives or clients).

when it comes to my work and people criticize parts of it...it isnt as bad but i still get somewhat offended if theyre right. so i usually bullshit my way around it so it looks right but in a different light. they buy it and then i dont have to worry :p

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is kinda an interesting thread...especially since ENTPs ime love giving criticism themselves, often suck at formulating it and cannot stand it if you get defensive on them. :D