• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP vs ENTP. War of objectivity!

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Oooooh.... nice shot with the sniper post! :D
I bet you could drop a fly at 200 yards.

I didn't see it when I was flinging mud around, but reading it over it's what really needed to be said. After thinking about how I can move things towards MBTI centric (and a bit more geared around what is missing in the discussion) type posts, I realised that I perpetuated the wrong thing here - a pendulum fixes nothing.

Unfortunately, nobody could ever obey that rule, because relativist quagmires like this one would also happen in regards to what "aptitude" is.

It is literally stated in the handbook and is a major cornerstone of the ethics in typing. It is one of the fundamental guards against stereotyping and pre-judging people.

(Aptitude to mean "specific ability" rather than a generalised ability, like IQ.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, while I'm refraining from posting in this thread, I thought one thing should be mentioned... it is decidedly against MBTI, Jung and whatever personal version is being referenced to use traits, functions and their derivatives as a measurement of ability or aptitude.

You call it "against the concept/personal vision," I call it creativity. We came up with the measurement idea ourselves, after all. :smile:

It isn't really limiting individuals to say that one type or the other tends to be a certain way, because it's implicit in that that there are exceptions to the generalization. Besides, what good is the theory it if it can't be used to tell you anything about a person's tendencies?

ptgatsby said:
It is literally stated in the handbook and is a major cornerstone of the ethics in typing. It is one of the fundamental guards against stereotyping and pre-judging people.

We never took the hippocratic oath, so we aren't bound by that. :smile:

It's just one person's idea of ethics, and not everyone has to follow it.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've even entertained the thought that Fe can be used objectively. Someone may be particularly fair in interpersonal relations. He/she would not favour one person over the other on subjective basis and then claim the opposite.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at much earlier, about how Fe can be used to objectively take into account others' feelings, it doesn't mean you're always obsessed with your own and using them as a guide.

In fact, look at Captain Archer on Enterprise - I think he's ENFJ, and I see him using Fe like that an lot. Admittedly he's fictional, but a believable character... believable for a reason :)

And well said athenian and Magic P - you saved me from saying those same things, amongst other things I'd have regretted ;)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
It isn't really limiting individuals to say that one type or the other tends to be a certain way, because it's implicit in that that there are exceptions to the generalization. Besides, what good is the theory it if it can't be used to tell you anything about a person's tendencies?

Bold words are what the system is for. Tendency <> ability.

(ie: E-TJ tend to want to be leaders. E-TJ do not make good leaders as a result of that.)

We never took the hippocratic oath, so we aren't bound by that. :smile:

It's just one person's idea of ethics, and not everyone has to follow it.

It's a collective agreement bound inside the instrument. It is based upon a great deal of ethical background and it exists in some form as a standard for all psychological tests. The question as to if you are moral and willing to follow the guidelines when applying their system is, of course, your choice.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Objectivity is not, in my opinion, a very specific "aptitude" as you say.

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay so in terms of objectivity:

INTP > ENTP > ENTJ > INTJ

Right?

That's TiNe > NeTi > TeNi > NiTe

Also..
(ie: E-TJ tend to want to be leaders. E-TJ do not make good leaders as a result of that.)
This is true for ESTJ's not ENTJ's.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay so in terms of objectivity:

INTP > ENTP > ENTJ > INTJ

Right?

That's TiNe > NeTi > TeNi > NiTe

Also..

This is true for ESTJ's not ENTJ's.

I think the consensus is that this is something that we are not going to agree on. ;)

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the consensus is that this is something that we are not going to agree on. ;)

Perhaps, but I'm willing to accept all input.

My reasoning for that order being that P's are more objective than J's, and Ti is more objective than Te. An equally possible ordering in my mind right now is:

INTP > ENTJ > ENTP > INTJ

^Thinkers up front.

Wrath Mania

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think either could honestly be exceedingly objective, depending on the development of their respective functions. For instance...

It would make sense at first to assume the Architect INTP is more objective. After all, the INTP is traditionally thought to be more grounded. But if an INTP doesn't develop their intuitive side efficiently, the trade off is an INTP so thoroughly lost in their logical system that they lose the human/outside half of the equation... which needs to be present in objectivity.

If you have an ENTP that has well-developed Ti and Fe, you get a character who can stay focused, use their main functions like a scanner, and evaluate the feelings of others in a very objective, but conscious manner.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I don't believe in true objectivity.

To say existence of true objectivity is to say the existence of a colorless color.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Lame... I was hoping for story time.

wrong.

lame = you not doing your own research as if someone else should care so much about what matters to you that it means even more to them than it does to you.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
wrong.

lame = you not doing your own research as if someone else should care so much about what matters to you that it means even more to them than it does to you.

Hey smarty pants, did you stop to think that maybe i didn't care so much?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
So, what is the Objective ? xD

duke_nukem_forever_dec07_art.jpg