• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] There's always something missing...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it just me, or does everyone feel this? I want to get out and find what it is, but it always seems wrong, or out of reach... a mere ideal. There's always something in the way, nothing flows or works out right.

Really, I don't know what it is, I just know that I want it, and that it's not there. Maybe it's just progression, or the mindset that I have is a means of striving for progress...

I know that when I get this feeling that somethings missing, I start to expect too much from reality and wind up crushed and defeated. How can I possibly get around this?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's your next eureka moment, the next piece of new information you had not known before. The next small bit you can add to your great collection of lotsabits. That is that feeling.

Everytime you find your next bit, another bit will take its place. The feeling never dissappates. But you don't really want that feeling to go away, because you want to know what it is!

So death is no solution, you'll just die wondering what it is you're missing.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's your next eureka moment, the next piece of new information you had not known before. The next small bit you can add to your great collection of lotsabits. That is that feeling.

Everytime you find your next bit, another bit will take its place. The feeling never dissappates. But you don't really want that feeling to go away, because you want to know what it is!

So death is no solution, you'll just die wondering what it is you're missing.

The only way out seems to be distraction, occupying yourself by living in the moment, or by living for a goal in the future. Those solutions are so much brighter than death :yes:

I guess I just lack a goal then :thinking:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only way out seems to be distraction, occupying yourself by living in the moment, or by living for a goal in the future. Those solutions are so much brighter than death :yes:

I guess I just lack a goal then :thinking:

I suppose as a Ne dom you've got a more easy time of distracting you from that sensation. The only times I forget that feeling is when I experience extreme bursts of pleasure.

My right arm is my dominant arm, and wields the mouse. Yet my left arm has the biggest muscles. What can I say, I try my hardest to distract myself.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this is the reason people end up overeating, or becoming acoholics etc. They're attempting to fill that hole and they can't see that it's not working. I need to stop this feeling, but it doesn't seem like a simple thing to do.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose as a Ne dom you've got a more easy time of distracting you from that sensation. The only times I forget that feeling is when I experience extreme bursts of pleasure.

My right arm is my dominant arm, and wields the mouse. Yet my left arm has the biggest muscles. What can I say, I try my hardest to distract myself.

Even this forum is just one big distraction... but then again, it's all relative isn't it, what is it a distraction from? Living. Who's to say that living is more important than foruming? lol

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this is the reason people end up overeating, or becoming acoholics etc. They're attempting to fill that hole and they can't see that it's not working. I need to stop this feeling, but it doesn't seem like a simple thing to do.

Then try to cherish it. As you now know that this feeling is the reason that drives you. In many ways, it's the reason you live for. Even if you experience the feeling as a nagging annoying little child that constantly says "But why?" after everything you say.

Repeat after me. It's ours, it's within us. And we wish it never gone.

And yes, it may just be why people over-eat too and such, I never gave it that much thought. It rocks to be able to pause it. But I really do not hate that I experience it.

Edit: You'll find what's missing within your interests. If the forum is your interest, then that's a good reason as any. But even on the forum, the feeling doesn't dissappear from me. I still don't know enough. I have to keep learning. I want to reach 99.99% omniscience. Or die trying, which is more likely.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then try to cherish it. As you now know that this feeling is the reason that drives you. In many ways, it's the reason you live for. Even if you experience the feeling as a nagging annoying little child that constantly says "But why?" after everything you say.

Repeat after me. It's ours, it's within us. And we wish it never gone.

And yes, it may just be why people over-eat too and such, I never gave it that much thought. It rocks to be able to pause it. But I really do not hate that I experience it.

Edit: You'll find what's missing within your interests. If the forum is your interest, then that's a good reason as any. But even on the forum, the feeling doesn't dissappear from me.

That's an interesting approach to it, I don't think I would have thought of that. I think that's gonna work too. Now, I have the solution... but I don't remember the path that lead to it. damned intuition!!! I think that solves it, but I think I should think some more... or sleep :thinking:

Thanks Fluffster :cheers:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm always looking for something more.
It never stops and although occasionally something will fill the emptiness, it doesn't last long.
I hate the feeling as it tends to often depress me, but in the end-- it is what keeps me going, as said by Fluffywolf. It's what causes me to keep climbing for something higher and unable to be content with mediocrity.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP

Yeah, I know the feeling. could explain a lot of issues really, all types of addictions trying to fill holes. It's when I start something new but even then I have the lingering feeling I'm not doing something or knowing something I should do or know. Like there's just a big piece of the puzzle missing.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I think I know what you mean... if I understand correctly, I experience something similar. I think what is missing is what is elusive, but I don't know specifically what it is. With all I find, there still seems to be something I haven't found -- I just don't know what that something is. It's a nagging feeling. But anyway, I guess that is what prevents perfection, what stops life from having guarantees. I can only optimize, never perfect, because that would take the "chance" element out of life and maybe that chance is what makes it life in the first place. I don't know what I'm talking about ... haha (and I didn't realize this was in the NT personal threads but now I'm gonna post anyway...:blush:)

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
These quotes are yours King-Of-Despair of the first post. (1). " I want to get out and find what it is..." In my case i believe for one is a person introverted vs. more extroverted. I live in a world with more abstract thinking. It intrigues my person-hood more than physical reality. I do not know why this so happens being. I am INFP and many a wishful thought is if i could preferably become an "SP," supposedly living in a more external world orientation. This is not to happen. We must all live and learn accepting limitations of what we can and can't necessarily do.

(2). "...a mere ideal." You happened meeting a head of a nail with a close proximity with a bulls-eye. Many of our afflictitions are the result we have with expectations, meeting head on, the reality of a real world. My beleif is that we have to many external sources with a value and "false valued system, before we can properly identify a core real self. If it were possible to have a firm grasp of who we are, what are capabilities happen being, plus in a sense what we are destined being in this life-time, i believe then there would be less of a cofusion and as well a sort of phenomenon called existential angst. "Where am I? Who am I? How did I come to be here? What is this thing called life? How did I come into the world? Why was I not consulted? And if I am compelled to take part in it, where is the director? I want to see him." Soren Kierkegaard

(3). "...have is a means of striving for progress..." It is a blief i happen having we all have talents. a unique gift, our core individual life gift as you could term. A trick is to find that gift and do it. I believe each of us has a gift. Doing this gift, one achieves a sense of happiness as well as utter timelessness. Finding one's gift will allow the spirit the freedom to soar. This is what life this life is. Find your gift and thus you find yourself. I happen to have a penchant for writing as well as a oratory skill when giving speeches. Doing your gift benefitting the world upon which we live on called earth. Reaching a heightened state of consciousness called flow. For each of us are interrelated with every other life form. Combining our gifts can also produce the added benefit of a byproduct called synergy or the synergism of which the sum is greater than the parts. This experience is as rapture, which is beyond heavenly words to describe. Only for one moment do we feel like we have experienced a little slice of heaven on earth. It is confounding as it is in effect beyond description. Finally it is achieving a balance.

Last edited by a moderator:

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Lightsun, sorry but without paragraph breaks, tl;dr.

Perhaps tangential but the feeling you're describing sounds a lot like the idea of desire in Buddhist thinking. The thinking goes that this desire and mindless reaction to it are the primary cause of unhappiness.

I've found that keeping fit minimizes the restless anxiety I feel and deep breathing often mitigates the experience when I get it. I'm an atheist and a white guy but I think those guys have something figured out about happiness.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Suttree wrote, (1). "... tangential but the feeling you're describing sounds a lot like the idea of desire in Buddhist thinking." I am influenced with the Buddhist point, as well also parables that Jesus taught.

Suttree, (2). "...desire and mindless reaction to it are the primary cause of unhappiness." Yes i did imply this in a general point of view This only in part the truth. We happen all of the time fighting in our inner self-hood a battle of our expectations versus reality. This way following instead of following a more Taoist approach.

One of the views i happened pointing out, is the establishment of a core-self (self-esteem or self-concept) to withstand and weather a storm of adversity. Instead learning to follow one's true life mission. And this is the establishment with the gift we possess and using it.

Oh i happened taking your advise and spliced up my threads a little more-many thanks of this suggestion).