• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why does your thread title imply an expression of outrage instead of a sense of jubilation in this very useful thread?

The thread title was not meant to imply outrage at all. I wasn't sure if the forum had ever been blessed by the presence of such a wonderful thread before, so I included the "!?" as a sort of "I don't know if this will go anywhere, but let's give it a shot".

:cheese:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A question to the INTPs:
What do you think of ENTJs, ENTPs and INTJs?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What is the most boring sort of job you can imagine?

For me, the common theme has to do with "getting away from constant dialogue with people" and "being able to be creative/think outside the box/be original".

As a teen, I bagged groceries at a grocery store. I had to talk to customers and put on the friendly face and answers questions about how I've been doing from the frequent customers, but I was always asking my bosses for opportunities to go in the back and help stock the milk/yogurt section or "does the freezer section need to be restocked?" It didn't matter how cold the job was or how much most people wouldn't want to do the job, but I really looked forward to "getting away" - getting off by myself for a while so I could kind of regroup and do some independent thinking. If the task allowed me to let my mind wander and ponder (relatively brainless work), then that was good. I think about Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting - mopping the floors at midnight. It was a crap job, but it gave him "space". There's freedom in that.

I also worked in accounting for some time, but it wasn't "outside the box" enough for me. Same thing every day. My "xNxP" wants to just break free and live outside the box. After about 6 months of people calling and asking "what do my numbers look like?", I start to feel like, "I really don't care what your numbers look like. They look great. They look tremendous. But who really cares?"

Therefore, jobs I'd hate (constant interaction, and no opportunity to get outside the so-called box): customer service, cop, military, anything where I'm constantly being monitored.

Jobs that I see as INTP-friendly (minimal interaction, allows for creativity and breaking some rules): freelance writer (keyword being freelance. And writer. :cheese:), entrepreneur (this can actually be done while keeping your required extroverted time in-check - there are MANY successful entrepreneurs that are introverted), college professor (high-school isn't nearly as attractive because there would be way too much goofing around and chatter and a general lack of focus).

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A question to the INTPs:
What do you think of ENTJs, ENTPs and INTJs?

ENTJ's: I respect them very much. I see them as like my wise, productive uncles. I observe their methods and I listen to what they have to say because they get stuff done - no questions asked. Have to respect that. I do seem to have a hard time connecting with them. It's like I can't really get a feel for what they think about me. I don't know if they're "tolerating me" or if they really do like me. They seem to talk to me a fair amount, but for all I know they see me like they see everyone else - below them. I also like their ability to be tough in business-type situations, but they can sometimes get carried away with just "winning the fight" - I don't like to see them lose their heads just to defeat someone.

INTJ's: Super cool. So many things I love about them. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but they're kind of like ENTJ Juniors. So, if ENTJ's are my uncles, then INTJ's are like my cousins that I can run around and play with a little bit more. We have the INxx in common, so I can totally relate to them on that level (I relate very well to all INxx's). What I find difficult is that, although we have some good laughs and interesting conversation, they don't seem to care about being friends. I think it would be awesome to have more INTJ friends, but being introverted, they just don't care to have many friends. They just seem uninterested in hanging out.

ENTP's: My big brothers. Someone on the forums said that they are like a "more evolved" INTP. That made me laugh. That's kind of how I see them. All types have their limitations I suppose, but from my vantage point, ENTP's have just about everything I have, except they don't mind hanging out with people. In fact, they're really fun to hang out with. People WANT to hang out with them. Very few S's want to hang out with me. I do have a few S friends, but usually I only connect with N's. But, it seems that S's love ENTP's. They are very capable people. Their laziness and procrastination drives me insane though (even though I do it myself, it annoys me in them).

All in all, I love the NT family. I still don't understand why we don't "remain friends" more often though. I'd love to have some ENTJ/INTJ friends.

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
Do you ever feel like an ISFP?
Actually, sometimes I feel like an ISTP.
Maybe an ISFP after spending considerable amounts of time with my mother.

What the bloody fuck, I never meant to submit this.
Will come back and expand upon this later.

Cloudblue

Amazing Spambot!
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
I´ve got a question

What does an intp find funny?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I´ve got a question

I'm not sure if this applies to all INTPs but I have a weird humorous fetish for double entendre esq humor. Although I am not a huge Monty Python fan often some of that quirky/twisty play on words style of humor. Maybe thats one of the reason why the other types think we are geeks. That and the fact most of us act pretty geeky ;).

I like clips like this one below because they often illustrates a lot of the illogical fallacies we keenly see in day to day life and so many others see so blind to in a in a succinct or pithy manner.

YouTube - Monty Python - Argument Clinic

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
Dear INTP,

How do you stop playing an addictive video/computer game where you always say you will quit after one more turn but you never seem to?
In my experience, you never will quit (in the future tense), you only have quit (in the past tense). Something just snaps, it's no longer fun, and then quitting is the easiest thing in the world. This is often accompanied by picking up a new addiction/habit, but maybe it'll be a better habit.

Telling yourself you should quit something seldom does any good; it only makes you unhappier while you play out your addiction.

I find a lot of things funny, but wordplay and the absurd most of all.

[Edit: Monty Python are comedy gods. That is all.]

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wanted to ask INTPs how to look fashionable.

How do I get the girl?

How do I get people to like me?

How do I pick up on a joke?

How do I get big burly muscles?

Ohhh...... I see what you did there ;)

They're making fun of us Fluffy. They're asking us questions that we don't have any idea how to answer. Ha ha.

Maybe that's why there's never been an "ask an INTP thread" before. Unless you need help with your math homework, what are you gonna ask? :doh:

I can help more than math.

I can help with finding a bizarre use for an everyday object, designing a rocket that probably cannot be built but looks amazing and can go really fast, how to spin in cirlces until you see squares, starting a cult with the power of cuddliness, using this cult for universal domination, finding that sock that fell into the parallel universe behind the dryer, and some of that less crazy stuff too.

I´ve got a question

Probably games with illogical propositions/situations. At least in my case.

Silencio

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Why are INTP's so absent minded that most people think they've got some form of mental retardation?

Silencio

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Ohhh...... I see what you did there ;)

I can help more than math.

I can help with finding a bizarre use for an everyday object, designing a rocket that probably cannot be built but looks amazing and can go really fast, how to spin in cirlces until you see squares, starting a cult with the power of cuddliness, using this cult for universal domination, finding that sock that fell into the parallel universe behind the dryer, and some of that less crazy stuff too.

Probably games with illogical propositions/situations. At least in my case.

+1, your avatar is my background :nice:

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Why are INTP's so absent minded that most people think they've got some form of mental retardation?

We're not absent minded. We simply don't keep trivialities in mind. Like where we are, what time it is, or what we're wearing.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
We're not absent minded. We simply don't keep trivialities in mind. Like where we are, what time it is, or what we're wearing.

lol;)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP

Very true. I was out recently wearing two completely different shoes (not even the same colour) and didn't notice til a friend pointed it out to me. I only tend to remember things that are interesting and/or amusing to me :tongue: