• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Question #47: If we want to compliment an INTP what is the best way to go about it? Ie, how can we speak their language in choosing the right thing to compliment them about, and of what duration is preferred? (I feel like Fe-users can handle/enjoy someone waxing eloquent about their awesomeness much longer than someone like me can. :))

The right thing to say depends on the situation. Be concrete, explain the motivations for complimenting the INTP¤, use all the glitter in the world after that and say it in any way or form you want. Duration depends on if this is private or with other people and how much the INTP really feels it is deserved.

Only thing to remember when complimenting an INTP is to explain the motivation. Otherwise it could be seen as overly feely. I also think there is a difference between how many times you say it and how much time you specifically use on it. If you tell me every day, I might suspect it may not be as deeply felt. On the other hand if you tell me once a week I will appreciate it more. Even if you need to use an hour explaining it.*

¤ if its because of a situation or if its because of appreciation for the INTP as a person

* this is not meant as a specific routine you should do, but only as an example.

N

NPcomplete

Question #47: If we want to compliment an INTP what is the best way to go about it? Ie, how can we speak their language in choosing the right thing to compliment them about, and of what duration is preferred? (I feel like Fe-users can handle/enjoy someone waxing eloquent about their awesomeness much longer than someone like me can. :))

And in the spirit of the Ask an INFP thread, here is a sacrificial equation picture for you guys.

I love it when the compliment takes me completely by surprise, ie I couldn't have foreseen. So, the frequency of compliment reception matters. If it's something that's said very often, it won't mean much to me.

Good question though. I never know how to compliment my INTP friends...

Instead of the (pretty) equation (which I'm too lazy to look at properly), can there be sacrificial cake/ice cream/sandwiches? I'm starving.

A

Anew Leaf

:) thanks for the answers my INP comrades! :)

I thought about this because of a semi-funny incident that occurred at my dinner party this past weekend. One of my best friends is an INTP and he's 6'7". Another of my friends who is 5' was trying to grab a bowl from my cabinet and failing. So my INTP friend walked over, plucked the bowl down, and handed it over to her.

girl: Wow! Thanks Jon! I'm so glad you're so tall!
INTP: Uh, yeah....
girl: *jabs him in side* You should learn to take compliments better!
INTP: Huh?

So I asked him later what he was thinking and he said, "I was thinking, how is this a compliment? I can't change how tall I am. I didn't "earn" how tall I am... If you want to compliment me, at least compliment me for something I do or can do."

I found it interesting. :) And I understood a bit where he was coming from on it.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Okay a simple one which involves things I need to do.

I wake up and feel great, go take a good shower, maybe I'll even sing a little, after breakfast, which was fantastic, I'll go out and meet with some of my friends, we'll talk about the things we've read recently. I get introduced to a friend of theirs who I hit it off with and we plan to go out at night with my friends. I get a call about a job at a company I really want to work at and I accept it. I meet my old bosses and they notice how much Ive changed for the better, they dont say anything but I know they can see it. I feel good that I could show them Im not like what I was like back a few years back. Then we go out to dinner and go see some play or go to a concert and finish off with drinks at a bar, everything on me since Im also celebrating my new job with people I really want to spend time with. We go out dancing and I walk the date home get a goodbye kiss and we plan for another date.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you as an INTP generally feel like you identify with the actions and motivations of other INTPs. Even immature, or unhealthy ones?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Do you as an INTP generally feel like you identify with the actions and motivations of other INTPs. Even immature, or unhealthy ones?

Generally, I'd say yes...but I don't feel the need to engage in long, pointless internet debates, or to prove intellectual superiority. I think for me, there are some INTP behaviors that I observe that I recognize in myself either as an immature behavior or a tendency I make a point to suppress. Those are things that make me cringe when observed in other INTPs, but I still recognize the tendency, even if it was a tendency I grew out of. It bothers me to see pure INTP traits that have not been tempered by any attempt at the development of balance.

I do think there are "flavors" of INTPs, and I identify less with the hardcore Ti ones, even though Ti is definitely my dominant function. I identify more with the NF-y INTPs.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4

The simple answer is no. I may understand it in some vague form, but I dont think I do understand them on a deeper level. I dont think its much different for other people or types to feel like this. To me types maybe a indicator of how the dynamic might be between two different types, but its on such a generalized level I cant use it in real life as a marker of how my relationship between a person and me will play out. And equally when it comes to a person of my own type. I may seek them out and then find out they are a totally different type as I thought they were. What a disappointment that would bring me if I tried to put types/labels on everyone I met. I do, but its more "potential friend/partner", "person that dislikes me", "idiot/person beneath my level", "person I should stay away from", "immature assholes", "gossippy person", "true friend" and "person I care deeply for".

A

Anew Leaf

Question #48: If you could build a time machine, what would you use it for?

xisnotx

Permabanned

And in the spirit of the Ask an INFP thread, here is a sacrificial equation picture for you guys.

I remember once someon told me they like my hoodie. My response was
"It cost twenty bucks at walmart..."

N

NPcomplete

pondering is always allowed. for with pondering we get the best results possible. :)

I don't think I've pondered enough (ie tomorrow I might think of a better answer) but here goes:

The perfect day would be a day on which I do everything I want to do without messing up anything, cutting myself, breaking stuff (unless I wanted to do that in the first place).

Question #48: If you could build a time machine, what would you use it for?
I would travel around, mess a bit with history and go into the future to see if my shenanigans got reported in history books (very much like at the beginning of the current season of Doctor Who).

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
you think there is a fourth dimension, if so do you believe there are beings living there?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you think there is a fourth dimension, if so do you believe there are beings living there?

Since we haven't evolved to see a forth dimension, I doubt one exists in our immediate world. There are plenty of theoretical fourth dimensions that exist, and I guarantee there are no living beings 'in' there. If we ever stumble upon another lifeform, they may be able to see a forth dimension, and it will be confusing to us. We will never be able to percieve a fourth dimension without renovating our brains and eyes etc.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Do you think you have the patience and endurance to live forever? Do you think the INTP personality makes you more suited to a very long lifespan?

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Since we haven't evolved to see a forth dimension, I doubt one exists in our immediate world. There are plenty of theoretical fourth dimensions that exist, and I guarantee there are no living beings 'in' there. If we ever stumble upon another lifeform, they may be able to see a forth dimension, and it will be confusing to us. We will never be able to percieve a fourth dimension without renovating our brains and eyes etc.
guarantee?

so we will being seeing the fourth dimension in the 3 dimensional way, if we made an attempt. do you think technology will allow us to see in the 4th dimension? (chips in the brain, modified genetics, increased intellect)

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do you think you have the patience and endurance to live forever? Do you think the INTP personality makes you more suited to a very long lifespan?

to add to this, do you think that if you lived forever that the brain would eventually run out of space to record memories and learn? or do you think information be forgotten as you continue to learn?