• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Ah :heart: to ze INTPs who responded positively to ze pony quesshun. Disapproving bunnah glares to ze ones who did not. (you know who you are.)

Question #25: do INTPs like giving ultimatums? Conversely, do they put up with them from other people?

yes and yes. We are not retarded and let people walk all over us. COME ON! If theres one thing we are its rational. Its rational to give ultimatums if needed for things to move forward and of course we put up with them as if we cant give ultimatums others cant. So ofcourse both can give ultimatums then give it to me and Ill react towards it. I might even respect you more if you give me well thought out ultimatums than if you just let things go or if you try to drag me along.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What do you get out of studying things that you know most people don't care about? Like philosophy?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you get out of studying things that you know most people don't care about? Like philosophy?

That is a very strange and exotic question to INTP ears, I would say! :biggrin:

Whether or not something interests other people is completely irrelevant when it comes to judging how interesting it is to me (or probably any INTP).
I study what interests me. And quite often it is not that I go out and search for it (that happens too of course) but that it finds me, i.e. I stumble upon something that just catches my attention. It interests me. And then I have to know more about it because of this inner need to understand whatever it is I am facing at the moment. It is an inner urge to find out more and to put the pieces together, to know how they relate to each other and how things work. Pure curiosity rather than careful planning.

Practical use doesn't enter into it.
At age 31 I still don't have a drivers license (thanks to efficient public transportation I never needed it in all those years) and never learned the rules for any sport. But I can tell you that (by the British legal definition) the difference between a cookie and a cake is that with time the cookie turns soft and the cake turns hard (and that the word cookie comes from the Dutch koekje which means little cake) and that Cardinal Richelieu invented the butter knife because he was afraid of assasins and didn't want anybody armed with a sharp knife to sit at his dinner table!

That's all trivia you say? Well, I have recently had a phase of several weeks where I read up on Wittgenstein and Russell and positivism and even took the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus with me on vacation because I wanted to know more about the limits of reason and the neccessity for axiomatic definitions in the logical groundwork of not only mathematics (a field I know nothing about) but in our perception of the world as a whole. That seems to me to be a question of tremendous importance, or at least a very fascinating one!

Or I might spend hours reading up on the history of, say, Bolivia (just an example, don't test me!). Simply because one thing leads to another. Wikipedia can be as addictive as one of the better seasons of 24 (currently watching the eighth and last one, NO SPOILERS, please!!!).

In brief: I am aware of the canon and sometimes try to brush up on things I know I should know even though they don't interest me. When neccessity demands it, I can aquire practical knowledge. But when I can have things my way, I'll just take in information on whatever tickles my fancy at the moment, almost indiscriminately: high brow, low brow, history, philosophy, science, politics, recipes for tasty deserts, the biography of Alfred Hitchcock and the influence it had on his work and how that work is interpreted by Zizek (in the Lacanian tradition I am only very vaguely familiar with but want to learn more about, now that I mention it!)

Hope this helped! :biggrin:

Okay, bye, gotta go and read up on Lacan.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I don't know what kinds of people you hang out with, but i associate with people who like to ask "why?" and then look for an answer. If someone didn't do that, I would not associate with them. Also, I like to learn. Much like Mr. Herring, I spend much of my time on wikipedia and listening to TED Talks. I'd describe it as intellectual wanderlust. I like to be thinking about something at all times, and my mind likes to wander between subjects. That's the main reason I listen to complicated music; so I have something to think about. It feels kind of hollow to not be thinking of something, but it's so easy to fix, the feeling almost never crops up.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Xyk said:
i associate with people who like to ask "why?"

:hifive:

INTPs, how do you feel about blowing things up?

my INTP brother and dad both seem to have a penchant for explosions.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:hifive:

my INTP brother and dad both seem to have a penchant for explosions.

I don't share that penchant personally. I am more interested in creation. That said, destruction to make way for improved creation can be a very interesting notion. It's where I figuratively walk the thin line. But in general, destruction is not my thing.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I somehow get smarter.
I'm not that much into philosophy but I once bought a book called ''The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer; the Art of Controversy'' that showed me how much logic can be twisted to win arguments.
I like watching History Channel, Discovery Channel and sometimes Animal Planet.
History is good because you learn what has worked and what hasn't worked in the past, and also explains how society is what it is now and where it is heading. By learning, for example, the function of religion in old civilizations, I'm able draw comparisons with our society and understand it better.
Studying how animals work is very interesting. You learn about herd behavior, pecking order, all concepts that help explain human pheonomenoms, like bullying for example. It also turned me into an 100% atheist. I won't elaborate on that, as I'm not here to preach.
I live surrounded by SJs and its hard for me. All my brothers watch are sports and all my parents watch are news and soap operas.
I'm also wondering what they get from it. :huh:
Perhaps a conversation topic for normal people. Hey, i might need that.

I loved making experiments with gunpowder when i was young.
I once learned and helped making a mini homemade bomb.
We used a flat stone, a plastic bag and a lot of gunpowder.
Then my older friend throwed up it and some time later BOOOOOM!
The noise was a lot bigger than I expected. We all ran away as fast as we could to avoid problems. :angry:
The real fun was the process of learning and applying and the feeling you get after you sucessfully apply a plan. The ''Got it'' part.
The blowing part was more like a side effect. :cheese:
I think i now get what Jeniffer meant when she mentioned some time ago that an INTP villain would have to be a mad scientist. The evil part would not be a purpose, just a side effect of the experiment. :shock:

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
INTPs, how would you [try to] entertain a kid?

What would a hypothetical scenario of that nature look like?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The process of studying, analyzing, and designing can be entertaining in and of itself. That being said, whether or not other people care about something is not necessarily a measure of a thing's importance or value, especially when it comes to intellectual matters. Philosophy is actually a great example. I think most idea have no clue how important philosophy is, because they don't see how much of what we take for granted in our practical endeavors exists as a product of philosophical thinking. Lastly, with a lot of these things, again with philosophy in particular, it's something like exercise. It's a process that can improve your cognitive skills, and that can help you with everything, even cooking.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Oh man, I'm totally majoring in elementary education starting this fall. I have also successfully written a picture book. I'd probably tell them an enchanting story off the top of my head or play one of the many games I collect. I'm great at playing pretend too. Ne really takes over when kids are involved and makes it all quite fun.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I like asking teasing questions. I find funny the fact that male kids are so repulsed by girls so I usually ask relative male kids how are they girlfriends.
They hate it! :devil:
''I DON'T HAVE A GIRLFRIEND!!!'' sometimes followed by a punch

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP

Usually I turn into a bigger child and treat them as a peer - we intps are all about equality eh? :tongue: I usually act very silly.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Haha...awesome. All the INTPs I've known have been GREAT with kids. Seems to really bring out that Ne silliness. :biggrin:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Take them outside. Go exploring. Sit down and color with them (I find this neat and oddly relaxing). Beat the snot out of them playing Mario Cart. Sit down with one of those cool coffee table books and look through it with them. Make your own bubble solution and see who can blow the biggest ones. Ball up socks and have a sock battle. Watch old cartoons with them...my kids and I had the best time watching The Tick.

Yeah, being with kids does bring out the Ne. They love it, too.

The_World_As_Will

That is a very strange and exotic question to INTP ears, I would say! :biggrin:

Whether or not something interests other people is completely irrelevant when it comes to judging how interesting it is to me (or probably any INTP).
I study what interests me. And quite often it is not that I go out and search for it (that happens too of course) but that it finds me, i.e. I stumble upon something that just catches my attention. It interests me. And then I have to know more about it because of this inner need to understand whatever it is I am facing at the moment. It is an inner urge to find out more and to put the pieces together, to know how they relate to each other and how things work. Pure curiosity rather than careful planning.

Practical use doesn't enter into it.
At age 31 I still don't have a drivers license (thanks to efficient public transportation I never needed it in all those years) and never learned the rules for any sport. But I can tell you that (by the British legal definition) the difference between a cookie and a cake is that with time the cookie turns soft and the cake turns hard (and that the word cookie comes from the Dutch koekje which means little cake) and that Cardinal Richelieu invented the butter knife because he was afraid of assasins and didn't want anybody armed with a sharp knife to sit at his dinner table!

That's all trivia you say? Well, I have recently had a phase of several weeks where I read up on Wittgenstein and Russell and positivism and even took the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus with me on vacation because I wanted to know more about the limits of reason and the neccessity for axiomatic definitions in the logical groundwork of not only mathematics (a field I know nothing about) but in our perception of the world as a whole. That seems to me to be a question of tremendous importance, or at least a very fascinating one!

Or I might spend hours reading up on the history of, say, Bolivia (just an example, don't test me!). Simply because one thing leads to another. Wikipedia can be as addictive as one of the better seasons of 24 (currently watching the eighth and last one, NO SPOILERS, please!!!).

In brief: I am aware of the canon and sometimes try to brush up on things I know I should know even though they don't interest me. When neccessity demands it, I can aquire practical knowledge. But when I can have things my way, I'll just take in information on whatever tickles my fancy at the moment, almost indiscriminately: high brow, low brow, history, philosophy, science, politics, recipes for tasty deserts, the biography of Alfred Hitchcock and the influence it had on his work and how that work is interpreted by Zizek (in the Lacanian tradition I am only very vaguely familiar with but want to learn more about, now that I mention it!)

Hope this helped! :biggrin:

Okay, bye, gotta go and read up on Lacan.

You madam, are a goddess! *information drool*

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Haha...awesome. All the INTPs I've known have been GREAT with kids. Seems to really bring out that Ne silliness. :biggrin:

We really are big kids at heart. Ti is all analytical and precise and junk, but it still wants to work with "fun subjects". Anything that's a drag or saps the fun out of life - we aren't really interested in it. We really just want to have fun all day - just like most NP's (and SP's!). And ENxP's are more likely to use Ne with whomever they come into contact with, but I usually only use it once I see that it would be welcomed by that person. Like if I know I'm dealing with an SJ, I'll mainly use Ti/Si and put on the "tough guy outfit", as they sometimes don't seem receptive to Ne. But, if someone is being funny and goofing around (or if I'm with kids), then Ne feels free to roam around and play.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I like playing with kids, but only for so long. I get bored really quickly and want to talk to adults. But for about 30 minutes, I'm great with kids because I treat them like equals and get really silly with them. My favorite kids are toddlers, because at least toddlers are funnier than they are annoying.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
^ I think toddlers are hilarious. If parenting was just about parenting toddlers, I'd want kids for sure. I'm not sure I'd do a good job with an older kid or a teenager though.

I like playing with and teasing kids as well. I had an ENTP dad who often said odd/false/confusing things to me just to see how I'd react. It annoyed me at the time, but when I got older I started doing the same kind of thing with kids.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8

Kids always seem to be interested by me. I'm not sure if its the height (6'5/6'6) or just my personality. I remember visiting my old kindergarten teacher and the kids took a liking to me, even saying I was on TV! Sadly, I was not on TV. It seems I don't even have to do anything for a kid to be entertained around me. But if I had to, I like doing what they are doing and helping them in whatever it is. If a kid is really enjoying kicking a ball around, then damn it we will kick that ball around.