• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP thread!?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you were surrounded by people who think your version of acting like a fool is normal and okay, would if be difficult to shake you from going with the flow?

It would make it harder. I'm no longer in my 20's, so peer pressure isn't going to be as much of a factor, but if your friend is young (or still vulnerable to peer pressure), then yeah, it could.

To me, it seems that his area and the people he associates with in it are one of the largest drawbacks. They aren't the brightest crayons, they aren't the deepest of thinkers, and they don't encourage him to be him- since they don't even know him. Would you say it's a good way to suffocate the INTP mind?

Well, yeah. There's all kinds of sayings and famous quotes about "the company you keep". It does tend to influence you, whether good, bad, or indifferent.

Question #5: Can an INTP make a logic pretzel SO big, that he cannot eat it?

Not really. There's almost always another way out. Another loop hole, another avenue that has yet to be explored, etc. I've been known, in silly arguments, to always find a route of escape that still leaves my original argument in tact. Sometimes you just have to go through the side door or exit through a window. Or the chimney, or go up into the attic, or down to the basement, or hide behind the lamp, or whatever is available. :D

Question #6: If you have your Ti shield up, how can we convince you to lower your defenses so that we can attack with lots of hugs?

Hmmm. Just get cuddly and Fe/Ne will gradually gain more power and kick Ti/Si to the curb. This does the trick for me even moreso than, say, a glass of wine.

What's the best way to freak out an INTP? One thing I have noticed is not to come off too energetic, enthusiastic or they have a look of horror on their face. haha

That won't freak me out, I'll just either talk to someone else or look at you and figure out if you're OK (do you need a doctor?). LOL. I guess, I dunno, make him go up and speak in front of a crowd spontaneously. If I have time to prepare, it's money in the bank. If not, I don't really want any part of it.

I'd like to compose an original symphony but I'm crap at writing enough suitable melodies and linking them together. What do you INTPs think I should do?

Ehhh, that'd be like saying, "I want to drive my car, but I only have 2 tires." You're going to have to plug through it and write "enough suitable melodies" and "link them together". Or, my friend, you could co-compose - get with another creative, musical soul and use some of their melodies - work together, collaborate, etc. Like sometimes a rapper gets together with a country singer, or R&B with alternative, etc, etc. Sometimes when 2 artists come together, the results are truly amazing. Consider it!

What is the least awkward place to get an INTP to meet up with you if you haven't seen eachother in years?

Low-key, 1-on-1, not a lot of chaos in the background. I want to be able to really talk to you so that I walk away feeling like we both got something out of it. When I'm in a group or in a crowded, noisy place with someone I haven't talked to in a good while, I sometimes leave feeling like I shortchanged them. They might think I wasn't very interested, but it's just that there was so much going on. INTP's like to observe and take everything in around them, so it's hard to have a good "catch up conversation" when this, that, and the other thing is going on.

if you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be and why?

I'd be a fruit or a vegetable that was semi-soft on the outside (Ne/Fe), but had a harder inner core that is less visible to the eye (Ti/Si) - something like a nectarine, or an avocado.

Alright I've got a question from iNTP to INTPs:

Do people sometimes think that you're arguing with them when in fact you were only justifying your actions (in a very un-argumentative way)? I don't know how to deal with such people anymore. :(

Yeah, they think I'm arguing or that I'm "being difficult". I've said before, as I get older, I really am learning to pick my battles and choose my spots. It's just not worth the hassle sometimes. Just let them be right and move on. Put your energy into productive things. And, let's admit it, we can sometimes "be a pill" - so it's good for us to be self-aware, to know when we're in jeopardy of seeming a little "over-explainy".

INTPs. How does your current/near future job match up to your dream job? Is there such thing as a dream job out there for you?

My current job matches up closer to my natural skill set than any job I've had before, but I'm also working on a start-up that is my dream job. It's taken me a lot of years to realize and to learn that you really can do whatever it is you want to do.....but you have to go after it with some zest. You cannot just sit back on your laurels. Nobody is going to show up on your doorstep and say, "Here you go. I brought you your dream. Congratulations." You have to go get it. You have to have something to live for, something that makes you feel alive. I'm still a P, I still goof off WAY too much (and I suspect that'll always be the case), but you know, you gotta put one foot in front of the other. You can't take 1 step, then do nothing for 6 months, then make a phone call, then take a year off. Next thing you know you'll be 85 years old wishing you had gone after your dream. Every day - do something. Something major. Not just "a phone call" or "2 little e-mails". Every day - one major step, one major something. It may only take 45 minutes out of your day to do "that 1 major thing". Then you can goof off or go to your day job, or whatever you need to do. But, you gotta see that 1 major step to completion. Carry it out until it's completely finished. Then, the next day, work on step 2. Not partly. Finish it. Sooner you finish it, sooner you can goof off. I think that's a big thing to learn for INTP's.

When I was a teenager, I read about Richard Branson and I wanted so bad to contact him. I wanted to meet him and say, "Put me to work. I want to learn how to build creative businesses." I knew in my heart I was capable of it. I was pumped about it. I was passionate about it. Well, I never did it. And I never started a business either. Now, some 15+ years later, I've only had jobs that I'm largely dissatisfied with. It's cuz I didn't WALK in the things I knew I'd be passionate about. I didn't act on them. I just "thought about them". Once you start putting one foot in front of the other, it gets a lot more fun and a lot more interesting. But, with that comes with a lot more hard work and responsibility. But, it's also fun work. And your dream gets closer every day. It's really not that far away - you just have to put thought into action. And be easy on yourself. Don't drive yourself like a slave - but, definitely, definitely, keep moving forward towards the dream, every single day.

G

Glycerine

How do you guys relate to INFPs? I swear that my brother is an hybrid.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Love 'em. A lot of fluidity in the conversations, shared Ne humor. We just kind of "get each other". T/F creates an obstacle, but it's just an obstacle that needs to be massaged a little bit, with both parties giving the other some room for error, or some room to "mess up" once in a while. People will get their toes stepped on occasionally (like with any 2 types), but if there's good communication, should be workable. T/F can also provide balance. "I'll tell Jerry that he's acting like an idiot, then you come behind me and give him a hug to make him feel better. Between the 2 of us, we got it all covered." :D

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Ehhh, that'd be like saying, "I want to drive my car, but I only have 2 tires." You're going to have to plug through it and write "enough suitable melodies" and "link them together". Or, my friend, you could co-compose - get with another creative, musical soul and use some of their melodies - work together, collaborate, etc. Like sometimes a rapper gets together with a country singer, or R&B with alternative, etc, etc. Sometimes when 2 artists come together, the results are truly amazing. Consider it!

You guys aren't nearly imaginative enough.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I will say this too, if you're talking about actual relationships. I've mentioned this before, but it seems like with NFP, there's more of a roller coaster effect. Highs, lows, highs, lows. With NFJ's, it's more "even keel". The J has a grounding effect on the NP I think. When NP/NP get together, it seems to be up and down. Exhilirating highs along with I don't like you anymore *sticks tongue out* lows. Might be an Ne "high", then a Ti/Fi low. Not really sure. But, that's just my limited experience. Like most things in life, case by case basis. What do YOU think of INFP's, Pitseleh?

G

Glycerine

Love 'em. A lot of fluidity in the conversations, shared Ne humor. We just kind of "get each other". T/F creates an obstacle, but it's just an obstacle that needs to be massaged a little bit, with both parties giving the other some room for error, or some room to "mess up" once in a while. People will get their toes stepped on occasionally (like with any 2 types), but if there's good communication, should be workable. T/F can also provide balance. "I'll tell Jerry that he's acting like an idiot, then you come behind me and give him a hug to make him feel better. Between the 2 of us, we got it all covered." :D
Awwww.... that's awesome! I have the same sort of connection with ENTJs. I am like the "nice version", according to them. lol

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm just an INTP. Not a magician. :D

I do have ideas on how to tackle this problem, but I just wanted to see what you guys would say. And I'm disappointed.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do have ideas on how to tackle this problem, but I just wanted to see what you guys would say. And I'm disappointed.

I wish I knew more about music, then I could brainstorm. What about just going with what you've got and turning it into an "abbreviated symphony" with "not much fluidity"? Ehh? Ehh? You like that idea, don't you??!!! Someday in the future, when you're long gone, people might say, "That symphony is dope! It's all short and abbreviated........and all the sudden it will just break off and go in a different direction. Genius!"

Just giving you a hard time.

I wish I could help more. I really do. What are the possible solutions you're looking at (if it's not top secret)? That might spur more ideas. We've gotta have INTP musicians around here that will chime in.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Awwww.... that's awesome! I have the same sort of connection with ENTJs. I am like the "nice version", according to them. lol

That's EXACTLY how I see those 2 types. I know ENTJ's and an ENFJ. She (the ENFJ) is literally just a "sweeter" version of the ENTJ's. She's still all up in your grill about what she wants done or accomplished, but instead of "do this now" it's, "can you please do this now? c'mon please?" It's a little more convincing, but I still have to say no sometimes cuz "you aint the boss of me".

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'd like to compose an original symphony but I'm crap at writing enough suitable melodies and linking them together. What do you INTPs think I should do?

I totally have composition experience. Focus on harmonies, or just fiddle on a piano until you like what comes out. I usually just take one motive and add some repetition and harmony. The rest comes pretty naturally. It helps to have an in-depth knowledge of music theory.

G

Glycerine

That's EXACTLY how I see those 2 types. I know ENTJ's and an ENFJ. She (the ENFJ) is literally just a "sweeter" version of the ENTJ's. She's still all up in your grill about what she wants done or accomplished, but instead of "do this now" it's, "can you please do this now? c'mon please?" It's a little more convincing, but I still have to say no sometimes cuz "you aint the boss of me".

:devil: I will only get up in yp grill if I am desperate or get really anxious about something.

A random example,
Me: (a month ahead of the deadline).: INTP teacher, Would you mind writing me a recommendation letter?
INTP: Sure... no prob.
Me: Thanks. It's due Feb.1.
Me (two weeks later):I just wanted to remind of the deadline and can come see you next week not regarding the letter?
INTP: Sure

A week later...

A bunch of small talk about future goals and random ideas (trusting him to write the letter for next week)

Then, INTP goes, "So when is the deadline? Isn't it the 26th?
Me (mentally): OH MY GOD. it's a good thing I came.
Me: No.... it's due next week.

:laugh:

I feel bad that he was forced to have me for three classes.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I totally have composition experience. Focus on harmonies, or just fiddle on a piano until you like what comes out. I usually just take one motive and add some repetition and harmony. The rest comes pretty naturally. It helps to have an in-depth knowledge of music theory.

Ah, the traditional approach. By the way, what techniques do you use in terms of motivic development in the context of longer compositions? Have you read any really good books on composition.

I do have a couple of books that I am reading (on harmony, counterpoint and midi orchestration), but these are based on traditional techniques.

I'm not suggesting 'press a button' algorithmic composition either, in case anyone was wondering.

Buy a Mac. Open Garage Band application. Play. Enjoy your new symphony!

I did say original. Which means no prerecorded loops.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Ah, the traditional approach. By the way, what techniques do you use in terms of motivic development in the context of longer compositions? Have you read any really good books on composition.

I do have a couple of books that I am reading (on harmony, counterpoint and midi orchestration), but these are based on traditional techniques.

I'm not suggesting 'press a button' algorithmic composition either, in case anyone was wondering.

I did say original. Which means no prerecorded loops.

It is original. You create your own music. http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
If I wanted to write crap, I'd pull a Schoenberg.
Oh and 'silence' was not John Cage's music. Ambient noise was. But I live on a main road, so my ambience sucks.

Schoenberg might sound crap but all his music is very delicately and precisely put together :(. And go play your silence somewhere else! :laugh:

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Alright I've got a question from iNTP to INTPs:

Do people sometimes think that you're arguing with them when in fact you were only justifying your actions (in a very un-argumentative way)? I don't know how to deal with such people anymore. :(

yes it is quite annoying. Only thing more annoying is people that talk or comment on everything because they feel they are allowed to and then start throwing random generalizations in peoples faces. Talk moderate, not excessively.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
INTPs. How does your current/near future job match up to your dream job? Is there such thing as a dream job out there for you?

No not really, I think learning is my only true job. All other is to live comfortably.

Question #6: If you have your Ti shield up, how can we convince you to lower your defenses so that we can attack with lots of hugs?

Im as egocentric as anyone, just tell me you find me interesting and compliment me and I'll be fluffy like a marshmellow and not treelike when you hug me.

A

Anew Leaf

Question #8: Can an INTP engineer a rock so big that he can't lift it, even with the help of machinery?

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Okay, when I say "composition experience", I mean I've composed like three 2:00-4:00 classical pieces. I'm a senior in high school and took some music theory classes. I haven't read any books on composition because I'm suspicious of people telling me how to do creative things. I do things by feel and tend to follow my nose when picking out motives. As far as developing them, I really just fiddle around until I like how it sounds. Chord structures are easy to base around a melody. Nobody can really tell you how to compose, because being creative, it requires some inspiration and feelings and whatnot.

Saturned: Are you aware that INTPs are not necessarily deities?