• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] General Impressions of the INTJ

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
*wonders*

:huh:
You're safe. ;)
I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75% <-------Wolf

Not all types are alike. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my husbands INTJ friend is very neurotic and lately behaving like an asshole. I assume that he isn't very happy with his life right now. I believe that having any insecurities or mental issues will cancel out some of the typical behaviors of your type.

I wanted to add that I have noticed that quite a few INTJ's have a certain look in their eyes. Glare/stare?

ps646566

MBTI Type
INTJ
I frequently see reference to 'closed minded certitude' with reference to the INTJ type.

Well I can see the point, but like most things I don't think it's as simple as that.

If I were to say (forgive the UK-oriented example, but you'll get the drift) "Tony Blair was a superb politician, but a lousy national leader.", then a lot of people who disagree would take umbrage and call it closed minded certitude. If I were to say however "In my view there is a case for saying that whilst Blair was undoubtedly a superb politician, he did in many ways leave a lot to be desired as a national leader", probably fewer people would make the allegation about closed-mindedness etc.

In both cases of course exactly the same opinion is being expressed. But in the second case it is being clearly expressed as matter of opinion, leaving the door open to disagreement. Anyone who knows which end is up, would however knows that it is just an opinion, regardless of how it is couched-- how can it be anything else since it is merely a subjective judgment of Blair.

I have found that a lot of people are very sensitive to this, and react adversely to opinions being expressed in that way. Most INTJ's however probably feel most comfortable with that approach, and see little point in beating about the bush with apologies and solicitudes for their views. In fact they may well be expressing a view about which they are themselves less than certain, in order to stimulate an interesting debate.

Because INTJ's do a lot of thinking and evaluating, they are probably in fact less certain about many things than they appear to be. But their approach will often be, "That's the conclusion that I have come to on the facts and the evidence at my disposal. If you think I'm wrong then try to prove me wrong." They will be open to rational discussion, but too often the reaction to that is more concentrated on objecting to how they put over their point, than on sensibly and logically delivering a counter-argument.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I frequently see reference to 'closed minded certitude' with reference to the INTJ type.

(I wonder if that phrase will end up being my most influential contribution to society. :shock:)

What you describe is simply certitude. The crux is the truth of the following point...

They will be open to rational discussion

... which is where the controversial claim of closed-mindedness comes in. (See the poll I linked to in post #3.)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

Well I can see the point, but like most things I don't think it's as simple as that.

I don't think it's true either. For the few systems in which they gain immense knowledge, it may be, but outside of that, neither closed mindedness or certitude comes to mind.

I think the reason they're often perceived this way is that they keep themselves next to invisible until they feel they need to speak up, which is usually for criticism. If it's something they already knew about or agreed with, they don't speak. No compliments -- hardly any acknowledgement of approval. Because of this, their reputation and very presence is associated with negative commentary, especially closed minded commentary containing such statements as "That will never work"

The thing about them is, they're always right. I've never proven an INTJ wrong. Ever.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
The thing about them is, they're always right. I've never proven an INTJ wrong. Ever.
My INTJ friends avoid saying anything where they might be wrong. Avoid like the plague. The other one can sometimes go almost mute for an hour or two, if he is unable to say anything definitive. The other is also extremely slow to to assert most anything he hasn't personally verified.

Both are appreciative to listen what I say, tho they are most probably bothered by the fact that almost nothing that another person says can be as reliable (for them) than something they've researched themselves.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I guess we all have different views on what open-mindedness is too. To some, you are close-minded if you don't believe in UFOs, are atheist, which is absolutely wrong in my mind, of course. Saying something won’t work isn’t necessarily closed-minded either, not if you are basically always right about it. If you are often wrong on the other hand, it might be an indication of closed-mindedness. Because people have different values, they will be considered closed-minded in certain areas by others. To put it simply, others have the tendency to consider you closed-minded if you don’t agree with them. Often INTJs excel at seeing cynical perspectives, which I guess might explain the sarcasm.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think of INTJ's as close-minded. In my mind, the image I have of INTJ is Captain Picard - who can hate him??

FWIW Splittet, you're one of my favourite kinds of posters - the ones that rarely say anything, but when they do, it's well thought out and clear, and nobody can disagree with it. And it usually makes me go "Ahhh!" :)

I sorta envy that, cos as you know, I'm the opposite :(

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My second oldest brother is an INTJ.

He knows a lot of stuff, and I'll give him that.
Unfortunately, when I think of describing him, I mostly start thinking of things that bother me.

He gives off a hostile vibe. He's impatient and perfectionist, and he can't talk down at all. This makes him a terrible teacher.
The other thing is that there aren't really any debates with him.
There are lectures, and you choose to listen or not.

Oh, yeah... He has an incredibly hard time seeing things from other peoples' point of view. Sometimes it seems like he can't actually believe other peoples' feelings or opinions.

Last edited:

ps646566

MBTI Type
INTJ
Often INTJs excel at seeing cynical perspectives, which I guess might explain the sarcasm.

Very true. And of course 'cynical' is merely what an optimist calls a realist.
The INTJ has great problems with leaving realism behind, and in this very imperfect world this will often involve what others perceive as negative.

The point about "It won't work" is well made too. If prior experience indicates that it didn't work before, and nothing substantial has changed, then why on earth would it work now ? I have made such comments, and received the response "Don't be negative, be positive !". My retort has been, "Okay, I'm positive it won't work."

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, but I have to say...

Very true. And of course 'cynical' is merely what an optimist calls a realist.

Bullshit.

I am no optimist, but I am so tired of hearing that.
Realism is simply about taking things for what they are. Pessimism and cynicism are no more accurate than being an optmist or a gullible chuckle-head.

You can easily be unrealistically cynical, my friend.

...That's also totally the kind of thing an INTJ would say.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I continue to believe that most "INTJs" that everyone seems to know or having in their families are not real. There are just too many mentioned to believe it, and we're far too rare for every one of you from a stereotypical 2.3 kid family to have a brother, parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle, cousin, or even a meatspace friend, that is an INTJ. There's so much bogus stuff thrown around here that it boggles the mind. Maybe one in thirty of you will know exactly one INTJ assuming the average person is an Extroverted Sensor and due to the fact INTJs maintain smaller social circles by nature.

Some of you should stop trusting online tests and quit trying to type people for your benefit.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I continue to believe that most "INTJs" that everyone seems to know or having in their families are not real. There are just too many mentioned to believe it, and we're far too rare for every one of you from a stereotypical 2.3 kid family to have a brother, parent, grandparent, aunt/uncle, cousin, or even a meatspace friend, that is an INTJ. There's so much bogus stuff thrown around here that it boggles the mind. Maybe one in thirty of you will know exactly one INTJ assuming the average person is an Extroverted Sensor and due to the fact INTJs maintain smaller social circles by nature.

Some of you should stop trusting online tests and quit trying to type people for your benefit.

On the other hand, this board is a very biased sample, dominated by intuitives. Intuitives are more likely to be related to and be friends with other intuitives. The list of such factors is very long, which might make this more plausible. Age might be a factor, intelligence might be, even other MBTI characteristics. And let's operate with 1/40 being an INTJ, and not something like 1/100.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

I don't use the tests. I type people by evaluating them and comparing which functions lines up with their behavior. I know 3 INTJs. Period.

On the other hand, this board is a very biased sample, dominated by intuitives. Intuitives are more likely to be related to and be friends with other intuitives. The list of such factors is very long, which might make this more plausible. Age might be a factor, intelligence might be, even other MBTI characteristics. And let

Usehername

On a mission
I know 2 who have tested and self-confirmed their types.

The others I have typed as part of the biochem dept. at school. Check it out: there are a lot there.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
On the other hand, this board is a very biased sample, dominated by intuitives. Intuitives are more likely to be related to and be friends with other intuitives. The list of such factors is very long, which might make this more plausible. Age might be a factor, intelligence might be, even other MBTI characteristics. And let's operate with 1/40 being an INTJ, and not something like 1/100.

These are all good points. However, I still think the number of INTJs board members collectively claim to know is disproportionately large in comparison to the other three INs, even though:

a.) The four INs are of approximately equal distribution, with INJs being slightly less frequent.
b.) The arguments in the above quote apply to each of the four IN types.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no one can accuse me of lying.
:party2: