• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] how could/would you cheer up an INTP?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
dreadfully sorry about the repeated post, have deleted it (this is what comes when you're sneakily viewing this at work on a minimised screen).

Thanks everyone, for your insights. I'm happy to hear from so many INTPs and also, from the NFs who maybe know how to deal with the soft part better than me.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
This thread is actually quite interesting and useful in relation to my INTP friend. Thanks!

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
Like Magic Poriferan, I find it surprisingly hard to suggest anything.
All I know is that for myself:
  • It takes time to cheer up
  • Constructive activities (involving learning or creativity) offer the longest lasting relief
  • It can be comforting to know that someone cares
  • Generally I just sit in my metaphorical cave until the mood has passed (or I have mentally addressed/determined the root cause)
  • Often my 'cave' is a nice seat somewhere in a quiet, open area

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
[*]It can be comforting to know that someone cares

I was thinking of that, but I wasn't sure whether you could count on that helping for most INTP's because of inferior Fe. Caring about them or showing empathy could be seen as an attempt to control or harm them (at least directly). It really depends on how well the INTP in question can deal with Fe. I'm often hesitant and ambivalent about showing any sort of emotion towards an INTP, just because I know that it can be taken very badly.

Although they seem to respond well if you show emotion indirectly, such as by showing interest in what they have to say, keeping in touch, evading topics/word choices you know they don't like, etc.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
If I can only marry it...

Originally Posted by nocturne

Dark Chocolate is always good.

OMGoodness! I love DARK chocolate! :heart:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dislike dark chocolate.
And I love white chocolate.

:whistling:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd probably pick out the dark bits and put them back in the box before I even put the milk in the bowl.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dislike dark chocolate.
And I love white chocolate.:whistling:

I actually like white "chocolate" as well -- but as a purist I must remind you that white chocolate is not chocolate at all.

It's basically "chocolate" with all the chocolate removed (!).

[Hiss! Boo! Drive out the evil from among us!]

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually like white "chocolate" as well -- but as a purist I must remind you that white chocolate is not chocolate at all.

It's basically "chocolate" with all the chocolate removed (!).

[Hiss! Boo! Drive out the evil from among us!]

I already know that!
Why does everyone always feel a need to point that out?!
Are you going to start calling prairie dogs "prairie squirrels"?.
Yes, the white chocolate is essentially fat from coco plants. :steam:

Sorry. That's just happened so many times...

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I find that acting even more depressed around a depressed person frequently cheers them up. I'm not sure why. :huh:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I find that acting even more depressed around a depressed person frequently cheers them up. I'm not sure why. :huh:

I tried that before... it basically got my twin to start systematically listing out why my life is better than hers, ergo I shouldn't be (as) depressed.

Though hmm. Maybe that exercise at least took her outside of herself for a bit. :rofl1:

Are you going to start calling prairie dogs "prairie squirrels"?.
Yes, the white chocolate is essentially fat from coco plants.

How about prairie chipmunks? :thumbup:

"white chocolate" is more marketable than "coco-plant fatty cells".

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you so sure about that? :party2:

Version 1:
"Once banned in Switzerland as 'unfit for virtuous citizens', it has been used as a currency, and was once reserved only for the delight of an Aztec king... sophisticated, silky and sublime, may aelan Chocolatier introduce our latest creation: Magic's White Chocolate."

Version 2:
"Once banned in Switzerland as 'unfit for virtuous citizens', it has been used as a currency, and was once reserved only for the delight of an Aztec king... sophisticated, silky and sublime, may aelan Chocolatier introduce our latest creation: Magic's coco-plant fatty cells."

:devil:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That would sell to me!
And it keeps saying "Magic's". Since I'm not doing this, can I assume that Magic Johnson is sponsoring the product?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I tried that before... it basically got my twin to start systematically listing out why my life is better than hers, ergo I shouldn't be (as) depressed.

Though hmm. Maybe that exercise at least took her outside of herself for a bit. :rofl1:

Yup, expressing irritation can be deceptively fun. Especially for an INTP. Just go to the other forum and check out their impressive selection of rants.