• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] how could/would you cheer up an INTP?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
That would sell to me!
And it keeps saying "Magic's". Since I'm not doing this, can I assume that Magic Johnson is sponsoring the product?

Given you're I think under 5% of a population, I doubt you'd be a profitable demographic for marketing. :D

eh. I was just stealing your nick for it, being too lazy to come up with something else. Hesitated between Magic and Poriferan, but the latter sounded a bit too scientific and umm. un-chocolatey.

What does Poriferan mean anyway?

Yup, expressing irritation can be deceptively fun. Especially for an INTP. Just go to the other forum and check out their impressive selection of rants.

:rofl1: It is, I can have completely b*tchy conversations with my twin about random people. Tis just that I'm not sure it is really effective at untangling that darn internal feedback loop of an INTP. Sort of like, if you imagine a picture of a person with wires running out from him, and back into him. I think an INTP feedback mechanism is something like that. So if it is an "up" trigger, it is a good loop. But if it is "down" trigger, then it is a little hard to do a circuit break. But there're lots of good suggestions here though. :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A poriferan is a sea sponge.
Poriferans are a branch of the animal kingdom as oppose to, say, cnidarians or bilaterians.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
A poriferan is a sea sponge.
Poriferans are a branch of the animal kingdom as oppose to, say, cnidarians or bilaterians.

I'd dictionary-ed that, but wasn't sure why someone would nick themselves that.. so decided to ask. You relate to them? :huh:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A no no which I think is often missed is try not to be too positive. You'll probably end up all torn up and such on the floor... of course that doesn't apply to overly and irrepressibly cheerful stuff though don't expect the armour to crack instantly.

My ENFJ mate Mike has a good method usually. He just refers to me as "that miserable f****" (think 'person who multiplies' ;) ). Usually works.

In addition to the whole being left alone thing, it's not always necessary to leave the room or such but usually refocusing on something away from me works quite nicely. It gives time to reset to a more positive mindset and alos nicely helps people from focusing on my mood and making me feel like I've been placed on some kind of platform.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A no no which I think is often missed is try not to be too positive.

I think, in general, that annoys MOST people. When I'm going all "Lt. Dan", I really don't need to be told to cheer up.

My ENFJ mate Mike has a good method usually. He just refers to me as "that miserable f****" (think 'person who multiplies' ;) ). Usually works.

I like this Mike and his sparkling genius. :cool: ;)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
A no no which I think is often missed is try not to be too positive. You'll probably end up all torn up and such on the floor...

Yups. I've never done those "oh your life is better than XYZ, count your blessings!! <insert big shiny happy smile>" kind of talk. It is hard to prevent others from doing that though. A quiet "things do get better, in time" works better.... Or... I sneak into her room and be-ribbon her stuffed animals' ears. She'll merrily curse away at me while restoring them to their natural order, but she seems to feel better afterwards...

meh.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd dictionary-ed that, but wasn't sure why someone would nick themselves that.. so decided to ask. You relate to them? :huh:

It's just a name I whipped up one day. One that I knew no-one else would have.
Afterwards, I began to make-up stuff about magic porifera being like genies.
The catch is that porifera have no sense organs or central nervous systems, so it's very hard to utilize their wish granting powers...

Stuff like this comprises a good portion of my daily thoughts.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
The catch is that porifera have no sense organs or central nervous systems, so it's very hard to utilize their wish granting powers...

This sounds very INTP'ish... :smile: You INTPs are so adorable!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP

*ponders*

so how do the porifera generate wishes?... from the hollow centre? and.. and... more importantly, how could one get a magic porifera to grant you a wish. :whistling:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I want a pony, Magic Poriferan!!

;)

darn, arcticangel. You beat me to it.:cry:

Magic Poriferan... I'd settle for a unicorn... or a tiny sakura tree that I could put by my bedside and watch it go through the seasons...

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's possible to make me laugh when I'm angry, but if you were the reason for my anger I may resent you for it. "hehehe...hey! grrrr" ..Inferior F?

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh wow. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this thread. It's been an interesting, informative read already. I am dating an INTP who apparently hates his life right now (specifically in the realm of his job) and is also quitting the cigarettes. *shakes head* His moodiness can be absolutely maddening. The other night his mood had really crashed and I made the mistake of going the "stop complaining, your life isn't really that bad" route (well, I said it MUCH nicer than that, but that is essentially what he heard me say). Heh. Needless to say, it didn't work, and I'm never trying that on him again.

That was the first time I was incapable of cheering him up. Usually I get the "wow, you always know how to make me feel better." I typically employ lighthearted jokes and shower him with compliments about how wonderful and amazing he is. Or I suggest we play Guitar Hero. Or I let him play his ridiculous metal music in my vehicle. ;)

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh wow. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this thread. It's been an interesting, informative read already. I am dating an INTP who apparently hates his life right now (specifically in the realm of his job) and is also quitting the cigarettes. *shakes head* His moodiness can be absolutely maddening. The other night his mood had really crashed and I made the mistake of going the "stop complaining, your life isn't really that bad" route (well, I said it MUCH nicer than that, but that is essentially what he heard me say). Heh. Needless to say, it didn't work, and I'm never trying that on him again.

That was the first time I was incapable of cheering him up. Usually I get the "wow, you always know how to make me feel better." I typically employ lighthearted jokes and shower him with compliments about how wonderful and amazing he is. Or I suggest we play Guitar Hero. Or I let him play his ridiculous metal music in my vehicle. ;)
Wow! An INTP that enjoys metal? I wish my INTP did. I think he just tolerates it because he knows how much I enjoy it. :huh:

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
Wow! An INTP that enjoys metal? I wish my INTP did. I think he just tolerates it because he knows how much I enjoy it. :huh:

Oh he loves metal. And he's very serious about his music, too. We are talking about a 20 year old INTP, after all.