• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Jim Carrey/Conan O'Brien interview

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jim Carrey comes up as the iconic ENTJ on pretty much every ENTJ profile I've read on MBTI websites.

Do any of them actually explain their reasoning for typing him so?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I doubt either one of them are Ns.

Please don't forget the cardinal rule of typing. If an N likes you or thinks you are creative or interesting you are N.

Geez.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Please don't forget the cardinal rule of typing. If an N likes you or thinks you are creative or interesting you are N.

Geez.

Yeah, sometimes I forget, but I can always come back to this forum to be reminded! :cheese:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Geez.

I'm going to agree with that, for the most part.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
esfps seem calm and in control of themselves. when they have energy its more anxiety-based (e7). jim carrey is spilling out of himself, which is consistent with many entjs. possibly 1w2s in general. plus he looks like someone is controlling his body with marionette strings. a crazy man living inside of him. the way Ni and Se connect for enxjs can be extremely funny-looking.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
J is more flexible than people might guess.. ENTJ can be one of the most average people there exists, if they want.. if the situation calls for it, they'll be knowing and doing every sensible and normal thing. I guess they have an idea of normality like no-one.

It's the cracking of that "code" and turning it upside down that grants them their comical powers :)

My folks have voted me in the facebook as the most entertaining, funny person with one of the best sense of humor.. and lot of my humor is based on twisting the ways of "normal", "sensible", "dutiful" and things like that. I guess there's lot of humor that's based on loss of status (enneagram 3 type humor, perhaps), and a some completely non-sensible stuff from the little Ne that I have.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My folks have voted me in the facebook as the most entertaining, funny person with one of the best sense of humor.. and lot of my humor is based on twisting the ways of "normal", "sensible", "dutiful" and things like that. I guess there's lot of humor that's based on loss of status (enneagram 3 type humor, perhaps), and a some completely non-sensible stuff from the little Ne that I have.

Are you Jim Carrey?

Silencio

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
esfps seem calm and in control of themselves. when they have energy its more anxiety-based (e7). jim carrey is spilling out of himself, which is consistent with many entjs. possibly 1w2s in general. plus he looks like someone is controlling his body with marionette strings. a crazy man living inside of him. the way Ni and Se connect for enxjs can be extremely funny-looking.

Haha yeah, as an ENTJ I have a pretty easy time seeing Carry as ENTJ.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If ENTJ's on this forum say that they can relate to Jim Carrey and his sense of humor, then this is a side of ENTJ's I have never seen before. The ENTJ's I have known have had good senses of humor (when they felt like being funny), but I've never seen one get SO CRAZY and just let it all hang out like Carrey does. And he doesn't just do it at home with family and those who he's comfortable with, he does it all day long.

Not to mention, I don't see the kind of Te in him that I see in other ENTJ's. There was a thread/video about Jay-Z not too long ago and when I watch his interview and compare it with Carrey, they're nothing alike. One is very calculated and business-oriented (with flashes of humor thrown in), while the other just has a full-blown case of goofball-itis.

I don't write this to argue that Carrey is NOT ENTJ. Maybe he is, for all I know. But, if he is, then I have to completely reconfigure my understanding of ENTJ's.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yep. Neither I nor the ENTJ I know joke all the time, tho I can relate to his humor.

I'm not sure of his type, though ENTJ comes off as a credible possibility for me, whereas ENTP seems a good possibility as well.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't write this to argue that Carrey is NOT ENTJ. Maybe he is, for all I know. But, if he is, then I have to completely reconfigure my understanding of ENTJ's.

Yeah, no doubt.

The ENTJs I know are actually among the loudest, craziest people I know. Although when they are kids, they can border on obnoxious.

USE YOUR BRAIN

HE IS NOT ENTJ

AHAHAHAHAHA IM GOING INSANE

I've seen you try to type a lot of people on this forum and I must say, your typing process (or thinking in general?) seems extremely limited.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dennis Miller seems like an ENTJ to me. Much more so than Carrey.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
jim carrey is spilling out of himself, which is consistent with many entjs. possibly 1w2s in general. plus he looks like someone is controlling his body with marionette strings. a crazy man living inside of him. the way Ni and Se connect for enxjs can be extremely funny-looking.

Yeah, he's crazy and intense but also awkward in the process and he definitely has that "I am in total control of this situation" feel as well as the "I need to make a presence".

The way his "crazy" comes out is in the same sort of exaggerated, stiff ENTJ way for sure.

Dennis Miller seems like an ENTJ to me. Much more so than Carrey.

THE INTERNET DOES NOT LIE!!!!!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What ESFPs do you know? :shock:

Most of the ones I know are far from "calm". They are goofy and expressive as Carrey is. My ESFP sister gets very animated and silly in a similar way. He doesn't have a witty brand of humor, and that's what I associate with ExFJ, or the ones I have known. I see them as being more restrained in their energy and subtle.

Fecal McAngry

If ENTJ's on this forum say that they can relate to Jim Carrey and his sense of humor, then this is a side of ENTJ's I have never seen before. The ENTJ's I have known have had good senses of humor (when they felt like being funny), but I've never seen one get SO CRAZY and just let it all hang out like Carrey does. And he doesn't just do it at home with family and those who he's comfortable with, he does it all day long.

Not to mention, I don't see the kind of Te in him that I see in other ENTJ's. There was a thread/video about Jay-Z not too long ago and when I watch his interview and compare it with Carrey, they're nothing alike. One is very calculated and business-oriented (with flashes of humor thrown in), while the other just has a full-blown case of goofball-itis.

You just pointed out the obvious, that Jim Carrey's dominant extroverted function is Ne. If you know that, you know he can't be anything other than an NP of some variety. You've also hinted at something else that is true, albeit a more subtle distinction, that he uses Ne as his dominant, not aux function. INPs and INPs can be silly and zany, but not nearly as overtly, persistently and as "out-there" as ENPs.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You just pointed out the obvious, that Jim Carrey's dominant extroverted function is Ne.

Actually, no such thing was pointed out at all. Crazy does not equal "Ne."

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's the deal- Jim Carrey the person and Jim Carrey the comedian may well be two different types altogether. Consider Rowan Atkinson and Mr. Bean. I don't have a lot of difficulty imagining Jim Carrey as a driven individual. Just because you're a comedian doesn't mean you're a P. It's not uncommon for people to develop different personas to fulfill different roles. Instinct would want you to type Axl Rose and Slash as ESFPs, but are they really? (I imagine Axl's an INFJ and Slash's an ISFP... but I digress, and that is quite characteristically ENTP of me... damnit I did it again.)

That said, I can't say I know either of the gentlemen (Jim or Conan) well enough to type them.