• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] I need some ideas...

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Dear INTPs: With Christmas fast approaching, I am needing some ideas for my very special INTP. My INTP guy loves to read and will get lost in them for days on end; some of the favorite series he has spoken of has been the LOTR series (books and film) and, well, any kind of sci-fi adventure books. If you don't mind, please list me some of your favorite books or books on tape (he's on the road alot). (Do you think I should go to INTPc to ask this question?) Thank you!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi Sandy,

What my INTP enjoys in books is very wide ranging, but hope this helps:

1. Graphic novels:
a) The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman, the dark humour, multi-threaded storylines and illustrations gives sufficent details yet room for imagination... Actually, most books by Gaiman. Snow, Glass, Apples is pretty nice too - a darker retelling of Snow White.

b) If he enjoys LOTR, you could consider getting The Hobbit, by the same author. If you think the above graphic novel idea will work, it is available in full colour illustration too.

2. Stories/Books by Yasunari Kawabata (or if you'd prefer, a collection of Japanese short stories by different authors)
The Izu Dancer and other short stories for e.g. - The japanese aesthetic of nuanced prose and intense but suppressed emotions, layered imagery, and overall search for beauty and identity running through the stories could be an attractive read.

3. Schott's Original Miscellany
This is a cute book with a collection of entirely random facts ranging from the twelve labours of Hercules, to some Shakespearian insults to palindromes.

4. Oscar Wilde's short stories / The Picture of Dorian Gray.

5. Faerie tales by Grimm, but written in their original form, where it is much darker, and the punishments harsher, and less happy-ever-afters.

Other authors on her shelf include Kerouac and other Beat poets. Vonnegut, Terry Pratchett are sometimes around. There's a book jointly written by Gaiman and Pratchett the name of which slips me now...

hope this helps, :cheers:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
You forgot Books of Magic! Sooooooo good. Kinda like a twisted Harry Potter? Hahaha. I think this came before Harry Potter. Well, the main character at least looks similar. I think for an LOTR lover who likes graphic novels this may be a solid bet!

The only thing with Books of Magic is that they aren't available as a compilation (at least last I checked) and it's really confusing what their original order was. I think I grabbed a random book and thought it was book 1 but it may have been way into the middle of the storyline for all I know. The beauty of the series though is that I still got and enjoyed a lot of the story.

Or the Hugo and Nebula winner compilation for this year? He probably already read them if he's a sci-fi fan.

Not from an INTP, but I know I really enjoyed Books of Magic.

Good luck!

(And isn't it nice having a sweetie to shop for??)

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
You are so awesome!

You BOTH just made my day! :static: I was scared nobody would be able to help me!

OMGoodness! My INTP really enjoyed all the Harry Potter series, too! He has a huge library, so I wanted to get something that would really interest him, and I was hoping other INTPs had similar tastes for me to pick and choose. Thanks so much for this, aelan and CzaCza... ! :hug:

(Yes! I just love buying him things that he loves -- I am not so good at figuring it out, but I have been successful in the past, thankfully!) :smile:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hard for me to answer that.
I'm really much more of an information person than a fiction reader.

But if he hasn't got much into Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchet, that's always a good place to go, but lots of people read those... I'd imagine he's already read 1984 as well, but that's one of my favorite books.

See, I just read Guns, Germs, and Steel in three days, so like I said, I really go more for that kind of thing... :unsure:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Looking at my INTP spouse's bookshelf, I see a lot of:

Neal Stephenson
Frank Herbert
Larry Niven
Dan Simmons
Isaac Asimov

I know some of Neal Stephenson's books are on tape. I've read one of them and it was excellent. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
You BOTH just made my day! :static: I was scared nobody would be able to help me!

Thanks so much for this, aelan and CzaCza... ! :hug:

Magic and Ivy don't get hugs?

:D

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Hard for me to answer that.
I'm really much more of an information person than a fiction reader.

But if he hasn't got much into Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchet, that's always a good place to go, but lots of people read those... I'd imagine he's already read 1984 as well, but that's one of my favorite books.

See, I just read Guns, Germs, and Steel in three days, so like I said, I really go more for that kind of thing... :unsure:

Good call.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm yet to meet an NT who doesn't like Fritz Leiber and Robert E Howard, once they're introduced to their books. If he hasn't already read them, get him a book of Ffafyrd (or however you spell that, can't quite remember) and the Gray Mouser stories - he'll love you for it.