• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] attention NT women especially INTPs

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
I've read when they do marry they make their partners miserable. It was something like, "INTPs are most likely to have unhappy marriage mates". I can't remember where the info came from though.
Yeah I remember that survey thing. It also talked about the added importance of INTPs finding a like-minded mate for marriage happiness.
Indeed. Most INTPs are hard to live with. I'm hard to live with. My INTP spouse is hard to live with. But we're hard to live with in the same ways, so we can put up with each other.

A lot of INTPs that have trouble approaching people probably end up with ESXXs who wrestled them into a relationship that's ultimately incompatible.
That's what happens when you let yourself be pursued rather than pursue. You're more likely to get the partner you want if you're the pursuer.

Jonathanthegreat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
That's what happens when you let yourself be pursued rather than pursue. You're more likely to get the partner you want if you're the pursuer.

how does this work? So you're saying that unless both parties pursue each other then one will be stuck with a partner they don't want?

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What's with the INTP-bashing here (to hear it from non-INTPs is one thing, to hear it from INTP themselves another. What's with the inferiority complex?)The belief that INTP make miserable partners is a redundant one. It all depends on the maturity level of the INTP in question. And by the way, I just left a relationship with an ENFJ. Despite her being older than me, I was the matured one, having lots of reasonableness , patience and care while she threw her temper tantrums and couldn't make up her mind regarding our relationship. I left because I was tired of babysitting her, and of being manipulated by her wishy-washiness.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
how does this work? So you're saying that unless both parties pursue each other then one will be stuck with a partner they don't want?
I guess I'm saying I trust my own judgment more than the judgment of someone who loves some aspects on an INTP but might be driven nuts if she actually tried to live with one.

Looking out for Number One.

What's with the INTP-bashing here (to hear it from non-INTPs is one thing, to hear it from INTP themselves another. What's with the inferiority complex?)The belief that INTP make miserable partners is a redundant one. It all depends on the maturity level of the INTP in question.
I think the statistics are saying that INTPs make partners miserable. :D Otherwise, I agree with you. Immature people of any type make worse partners.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think the OP has something to be worried about. It looks like his gf is connecting too much with the ex, has double standards for behavior, yadda yadda yadda.

OP: You should ignore most the advice here, as these people don't know the entire situation, and opinions are like assholes*...anyway, I do think your N is on to something. From a superficial point of view, it does seem like you two are an awkward fit. Take that with a grain of salt, mind you. Just saying...I can see how the clashing religious/political ideologies could cause a giant rift, you describe yourself as "an alpha male," and I could see that chafing on an INTP too...so, yeah. I'd reevaluate the entire relationship just to see where each of you stand, and how much genuine "love" you each feel for the other. Infatuation isn't enough for the long haul.

*This applies to my opinion, too.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Wow. Neither one of you has behaved appropriately, as far as I'm concerned. Asking her to compare your dates to other dates is basically asking her to compare you to other men - so you got what you asked for. I would have taken it one step further and talked about how amazing the sex was, simply out of spite. Yeah, I can be immature at times too, I know. But beyond that, no I have never once searched through anyone's things. I always rationalized it that if I have to search, I might as well break up now because the trust is gone. And there is no point if there is no trust.

Also, if something really bothers you, she shouldn't contribute to it. If my INTP bf was so bothered by my friendship with another person, I would cool it with that friendship. No one is worth me having an unhappy home. But then again, I know my bf would never ask me to do that unless there were some real reasons other than some vague unsubstantiated "jealousy". The point is, assuming you are not just jealous of every man she talks to, if her friendship with him bothers you and she continues it, then she's telling you exactly how high you are on her priority list. It's as simple as that.

I think a lot of the problem stems from conviction or lack thereof. I have a lot of ENFJ friends that never quite mean what they say. They will break up with a girl and then try to get back together a few months later. They will tell a girl they love her and then confide to me that they fell out of love. In my experience, we NTs don't do that. We don't lead with our feelings. When it's over, it's simply over. We broke up for a reason, so it would be irrational to attempt a reconciliation. So you may be worried that they will slip back into whatever they had, but she is looking at you like you have 2 heads because she already told you that she wouldn't. So either you trust her or you don't. And either she respects you or she doesn't.

I don't know. In my experience, INTP women have trouble with boundaries. Hell, INTP's in general do. This leaves them vulnerable to fucking up. On the other hand, they can be trustworthy. You just never know which INTP is going to go which way. I think it's similar with ENTP's except ENTP's feel more bound by society's rules.

Synarch said it all. I also feel that INTPs have boundary issues. When they become close with someone, they don't know where to stop. The less evolved ones find themselves in weird situations that spiral out of control before they realize it. They seem to have no sense of how society works. I get a hug that is a little too inappropriate. Or a well meaning gift executed in a creepy manner. One INTP guy I know bought a gift for his girlfriend's sister and snuck into her bedroom and left it under her sheets. That is the definition of creepy, imo. No boundaries.

And I get the impression that they are scared to say no to people. So if they found themselves in an awkward situation, they would most likely roll with it rather than try to stop it - just to avoid the confrontation. But I don't believe that they have dubious intentions. And I don't think they are that way with those that are close to them.

As far as INTPs being happily committed, I think it just depends on the person and their relationship, just like everyone else. Mine seems pretty happy and he embraced each level of commitment like it was the most natural thing in the world.

(Are you the same guy that made multiple posts about an INTP girl a few months ago, a girl that wouldn't commit and broke up with you and freaked out when you had sex with someone else? If you are that same guy and she is that same girl, I think the two of you probably are not very well suited. At all.)

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Synarch said it all. I also feel that INTPs have boundary issues. When they become close with someone, they don't know where to stop. The less evolved ones find themselves in weird situations that spiral out of control before they realize it. They seem to have no sense of how society works. I get a hug that is a little too inappropriate. Or a well meaning gift executed in a creepy manner. One INTP guy I know bought a gift for his girlfriend's sister and snuck into her bedroom and left it under her sheets. That is the definition of creepy, imo. No boundaries.

That one INTP is unusually out of touch socially. Most of us would know this seems creepy.

I do see a sort of diffuse, generalized boundary problem with INTPs, though.

And I get the impression that they are scared to say no to people. So if they found themselves in an awkward situation, they would most likely roll with it rather than try to stop it - just to avoid the confrontation. But I don't believe that they have dubious intentions. And I don't think they are that way with those that are close to them.

INTP does not = chickenshit and spineless. Only in some cases of self proclaimed "passive" people is this the case, and sometimes not even then. They're just passive aggressive.

As far as INTPs being happily committed, I think it just depends on the person and their relationship, just like everyone else. Mine seems pretty happy and he embraced each level of commitment like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Yeah, I don't think most INTPs have problems with commitment in a relationship.

Edit: Yikes! Just reread the OP. She and her ex are making fun of you? That doesn't bode well.

(I'm assuming the gf laughed at the joke...then again, why does her ex know that much about you? She doesn't seem very protective of you given that she shares private stuff that she knows her ex will view as absurd, e.g., your religious views)

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENTP rebellion against social norms belies a deep need to fit in in respect. They want to be approved of for being different and intelligent whereas INTP's seem to disregard society in most respects.

:yes:

I'm going to send this to my best friend (ENTP) as a direct quote because it's so true.

He is this completely.

We can actually broaden it to apply to ENPs and INPs (i.e, "ENP rebellion against social norms...").

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
:yes:

I'm going to send this to my best friend (ENTP) as a direct quote because it's so true.

He is this completely.

We can actually broaden it to apply to ENPs and INPs (i.e, "ENP rebellion against social norms...").

Yeah, yeah. Typical INFP, trying to make it all about you.

I kid. ;)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
@Lurker, didn't mean to imply that I thought INTPs are weak, because I don't. But passive-aggressive, and sometimes just passive, yes.

And you bristled at the same things I bristled at. The fact that she would allow her friend (and perhaps encourage?) to ridicule her bf. Not cool, at all.

Like I said, there are trust issues on his side and respect issues on hers. Or so it seems from what he wrote, at least.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
ENTP rebellion against social norms belies a deep need to fit in in respect. They want to be approved of for being different and intelligent whereas INTP's seem to disregard society in most respects.

Another thumbs up for this post.

@Lurker, didn't mean to imply that I thought INTPs are weak, because I don't. But passive-aggressive, and sometimes just passive, yes.

Ah, no probs!

Honestly, passive-aggressive behavior, and sometimes just plain passive behavior, makes me want to puke a little bit. I see people who behave that way as fundamentally dishonest. I admire spirit and courage, not cowering.

Not to say that I'm not guilty of the same behaviors sometimes, natch.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
[INTPs] seem to have no sense of how society works. I get a hug that is a little too inappropriate. Or a well meaning gift executed in a creepy manner. One INTP guy I know bought a gift for his girlfriend's sister and snuck into her bedroom and left it under her sheets. That is the definition of creepy, imo. No boundaries.

Sawree but :yim_rolling_on_the_

I know an INTP who used to do the creepiest things when we were younger. Or he just wouldn't realize that some of his behavior was socially inappropriate. He's still that way to a degree, but admittedly I kinda find it endearing.

:wubbie:

Yeah, yeah. Typical INFP, trying to make it all about you.

I kid.

*bitch slaps*

I would never!

...Well, maybe.

:D

SORRY TO THE OP FOR DERAILING. I LEAVE NOW.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Asking her to compare your dates to other dates is basically asking her to compare you to other men - so you got what you asked for. )

You know, that's probably a case of INTPs just not caring about social norms. It's probably a pretty common ritual for one partner to ask to be compared to previous partners, expecting the answer, "Oh, you're the best!" Like the stereotypical wife asking her husband if she looks fat, wanting to hear one answer whether it's true or not. INTPs are not the type to play along with this.

Sidenote: Apparently in Iran, if you invite anyone into your home and they compliment anything you have, no matter how large and expensive, you must offer it to them to be polite. However, they must refuse. And the two of you have to repeat, "You can have it!" "Oh no, but thank you!" a few times and then go on with whatever you were talking about.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know, that's probably a case of INTPs just not caring about social norms. It's probably a pretty common ritual for one partner to ask to be compared to previous partners, expecting the answer, "Oh, you're the best!" Like the stereotypical wife asking her husband if she looks fat, wanting to hear one answer whether it's true or not. INTPs are not the type to play along with this.

Yeah, I avoid playing this too. Perhaps that is playing a role in my being single... LOL

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Wow. Neither one of you has behaved appropriately, as far as I'm concerned. Asking her to compare your dates to other dates is basically asking her to compare you to other men - so you got what you asked for. I would have taken it one step further and talked about how amazing the sex was, simply out of spite. Yeah, I can be immature at times too, I know. But beyond that, no I have never once searched through anyone's things. I always rationalized it that if I have to search, I might as well break up now because the trust is gone. And there is no point if there is no trust.

My thoughts exactly.

I almost dated an INFP that would do the same thing first mentioned in your post about "comparing people." We were looking through her high school year book, and she pointed at a girl her ex ditched her for and asked, "Am I prettier than her?" My response was something like, "I really don't have a place to judge-" she then interrupted with, "Just say yes."

My analysis: you're doing what an ENFJ male friend of mine does: playing the game so hard that it plays you. If you're trying to be the greatest boyfriend in the world, then you deserve a mug, not a person.

And, yes, jealousy sucks, right? What's another word for that.... Envy! Hey, there it is- one of the seven deadly sins. I actually converted out of Christianity, but I'll still try to speak your language (please take it as the advice it's intended to be): See this as a test. If you want to smash someone's head in with a brick, then you're probably not thinking on the right track. If your religious beliefs are the punchline of a joke, then do what Jesus did and give all your haters love. :D ...However, if you're holding up your part of being a "good" person, and she refuses to acknowledge it, end it on the spot.

Jonathanthegreat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
hey everyone,
thanks again for all this great input. I appreciate the time you have taken to reply, whether it was to help me or just get your two cents in, all information is well appreciated. I see a lot of trust being mentioned and from the get go I didn't trust her. So yes I know you will all say just end it or I should not have started it etc. What I am asking now: Is this relationship completely done and unfixable? Once I do not trust is it indefinitely over? I am starting to trust her now, and for the record I have had a past of trust issues.

Thank you all very much and no Jenocyde I am not that guy. I was infatuated with an ESTP female this summer and me and you got into it but I was blinded by my emotions and fueled by you being digitally mean to me. I am sorry for retaliating with anger. <3

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
hey everyone,
thanks again for all this great input. I appreciate the time you have taken to reply, whether it was to help me or just get your two cents in, all information is well appreciated. I see a lot of trust being mentioned and from the get go I didn't trust her. So yes I know you will all say just end it or I should not have started it etc. What I am asking now: Is this relationship completely done and unfixable? Once I do not trust is it indefinitely over? I am starting to trust her now, and for the record I have had a past of trust issues.

Thank you all very much and no Jenocyde I am not that guy. I was infatuated with an ESTP female this summer and me and you got into it but I was blinded by my emotions and fueled by you being digitally mean to me. I am sorry for retaliating with anger. <3

Hey Jonathan, sorry I got you confused but I guess that just shows you how easily I move on from things and forget them - including this encounter of which you speak. I seriously don't remember it and even if I did, I wouldn't hold it against you. I know it's hard to be objective about something so close to you and I don't expect anyone to take rational advice when it comes to emotions. If I came across as mean, I'm sure that was not my intention. I just speak very bluntly about what I think and I know that it can be off-putting to those a little more sensitive. So I also apologize if I hurt your feelings, now or then.

About the above, I was seriously trying to help. If you can't trust her, then I think you should evaluate your trust issues. Specifically, dig deep inside and figure out if this stems from you not trusting anyone in general, or if you don't trust her specifically. If it's the general, then it may help to talk to someone you trust, a psychologist or a spiritual leader to find the root of this and how to overcome it.

If it is specific to her, well, no one can tell you if your relationship is salvageable. It all depends on how willing both of you are to deal with this and how committed you are to staying together. But I suggest being as honest as possible, without being accusative, when dealing with an NT woman. State the facts as you see them, clearly and concisely, and I wish you all the best!

Windigo

Hi everyone I have returned. I have found myself in a vulnerable state and I need help not smart remarks or insults, please.

I am an INTJ and I have maintained friendly relationships with ALL my exs. I even set one of my exes up with his wife! Lucky for me my ISTP husband is NOT even remotely jealous.

He doesn't have to be jealous because once it is over for me . . . it is OVER. It is easy for me to turn off the emotional connection and redefine the relationship based solely on new platonic parameters.

On the other hand I HATE jealousy and broke up with an ex because he tackled a guy I was simply saying hello to. I also hate emotionalism, being controlled, spied on, distrusted or manipulated in any way. If I feel that is happening . . . I run!!!

Now here is the clue as to whether or not it is working out between you two. Is she being secretive or honest about this prior relationship? Is she taking the time to work through your fears with you? ENFJs feelings are very sensitive . . . does she see this as a strength or a weakness? Finally has it been longer than 3 months? Take a break from calling her (If you love someone, set them free) if she calls YOU then you can relax!!!

HOWEVER . . . although I know it is hard to find single Christians, don't you think it would be better for you to be equally yoked? I mean, have you considered how truly compatible you are? It really doesn't sound as if the two of you are headed in the same direction as far as beliefs, life goals, etc are concerned. There may be a lot of chemistry now . . . but once that wears off . . . will you be wanting the same things out of life?

Maybe your jealousy is telling you what your intuition already knows, that she is not right for you. Perhaps you are blaming the other guy because you are afraid that it's going to ends soon any way and you are simply preparing yourself for the inevitable in a way that makes sense to you.

God wants to grant you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37) Trust Him to send you the right girl. He is seldom early, but never late. Your soul mate will come at exactly the right time and it will feel as though you have known her your whole life! :) Try asking Him what he wants for you!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
doesn't sound like a healthy relationship that will really go anywhere to me... sorry *shrug*

For one, you sound a lot like an ENFJ alpha male ex of mine who couldn't get over the fact that I was friends with guys who he was paranoid were more attractive than he was- and some of them I'd slept with before. No matter how many times I explained that I was with HIM, not them and that should mean something to him, he didn't get it...

If you're that paranoid, it's going to eat at the relationship until it implodes

plus, you guys don't have your values aligned and you don't really seem to respect each other (you invade her privacy, she won't respect your friendships...) which is another bad indication

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

This is why I prefer them cold and detached. When they get close it can be really, really weird and sometimes a bit scary. Though, I am a bit skittish by nature.

They just wait until they are on their own again. This makes them susceptible to many things the way they will go along.

(Are you the same guy that made multiple posts about an INTP girl a few months ago, a girl that wouldn't commit and broke up with you and freaked out when you had sex with someone else? If you are that same guy and she is that same girl, I think the two of you probably are not very well suited. At all.)

Nope. Not me.