• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Fear of failure

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

or

my version:

Only those dare to fail have a chance to suceed.

Do you agree or not

Kambro

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6?

or

my version:

Do you agree or not

Partly but sometimes caution is wiser than valour. U need to assess your chances and take a conscious decision to take risk and be willing to live with consequences of failure.

You cannot succeed without taking any risk.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Confucius say: He who hesitates, masturbates.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
wth are you talking about

Confucius Say: Gynecologist and the pizza delivery man are very much alike...
both get to smell the goods, but neither one can eat it.

/did that clear it up?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Partly but sometimes caution is wiser than valour. U need to assess your chances and take a conscious decision to take risk and be willing to live with consequences of failure.

You cannot succeed without taking any risk.

Yeah, this is pretty much spot on. You can't always take risk because excess risk (than what you can handle) is plain flat-out foolishness.

Kambro

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6?
Confucius Say: Gynecologist and the pizza delivery man are very much alike...
both get to smell the goods, but neither one can eat it.

/did that clear it up?

Cloud u gotta get a sense of humour - :)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
To the OP, I do astrology for people and fear of failure does come up reasonably often, but what comes up far more is fear of sucess...

People (not sure if this translates into US culture), are affraid to be all they can be. It ultimately leaves people with a gap between where they are and where they can be.

I think the fear of failure or suscess is more often experience by bright people.... IE people who have a lot of potential - ie their potential is so big its daunting.

There was a love quote someone sent me from a dating site, when guys tend to pick low hanging fruit rather than aim for women they ought to be with.... it was sweet and there may be a nuget of truth in it, I don't know - settling for less isn't something I relate easily too.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I once had a fear of success, and I replaced it with a fear of failure. It was brilliant, but no one appreciated it (going the extra mile and working outside the box has done nothing except given me average-below average grades. This wouldn't be so bad if my Dad wasn't pounding his INTJ-ness into my head, and my mother, her ISFJ), and now it has been usurped by a fear of success.

Why am I afraid to succeed? Because I'm afraid I might lose the ability to goddamn fail!

Failures are opportunities to move forward with a new thought or idea in hand, and I think that for every creative misdemeanor I committed, it foreshadowed something new and shiny just around the block, and I did well to seize it. In other words, I don't want to succeed *within the realm of the rubric*, and yet it feels like the rubric is pulling my big ideas down to size. They teach me not how to execute the big ideas but then how to do the little ones, and then when I actually have a big opportunity I have no idea what to do with it.

grrrr it's a defeatist attitude </rant>

(PS what's my type based on this post)

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I live around people with a large fear of failure. But, like most things, I get through it by not being like the people around me. Call me an emotional leech, but there's a calming aspect of being around anxious people.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I live around people with a large fear of failure. But, like most things, I get through it by not being like the people around me. Call me an emotional leech, but there's a calming aspect of being around anxious people.

How is being around anxious people calming? Aside maybe from taking solace in "welp... at least I'm not THAT fucked up"

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
That, really.

No, but that's cocky. But there's something about keeping your calm when all around you is failing that lightens not only you, but the rest of the group up.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
How is being around anxious people calming? Aside maybe from taking solace in "welp... at least I'm not THAT fucked up"

Don't underestimate the power of that solace.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

or

my version:

Do you agree or not

You've really only failed when you've quit attempting to succeed. Failure is just a state of mind. The saying should be more like this:

Only those who don't dare to succeed are the true failures.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
OK I'll be contrarian...fear of failure is one of my biggest motivations to succeed. kind of like, perfectionism, or something.

Try looking at an INTP who's given up on their fear of failure and you'll see what I mean, the results arent good in my expreience (hint: a lot on INTPc).

Of course, I wouldn't necessarilly apply this to other mbti types. but maybe for int's, fear of failure can be a positive motivation?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
You've really only failed when you've quit attempting to succeed. Failure is just a state of mind. The saying should be more like this:

Only those who don't dare to succeed are the true failures.

well, failure could be doing nothing.
There is really no straight definition of failure.

Sometimes it is wise to quit though when there is no chance of success.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's a truth.
One I still fear.
Curse my cautious mind.