• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Get your Grinch on.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've always had a love-hate relationship with Christmas.

Love: presents (both giving and receiving), company, staying up late, singing along to my dad's old vinyl records...

Hate: endless musings about the 'meaning' of the holiday (sorry Christians! I do give a lot of alms to the poor, but I don't want to philosopher about it! If you start the 'birth of Jesus is the most important' thing, I WILL get at you with German and Roman light feasts.), endless talking at the table. For some reason or another, I still am the 'child' who wants to get away from that food and play with those new toys (nowadays: board games). When I was a teenager, even my two year older cousin was so much more adult than me - and I wanted to be an adult too, so I copied her behaviour while being frustrated about the play time I was losing because of that.

As I've got a few young nephews and nieces now, who want to get away from the table as much as I do, I have totally reconciled with the holiday.

Last edited:
S

Sniffles

(sorry Christians! I do give a lot of alms to the poor, but I don't want to philosopher about it! If you start the 'birth of Jesus is the most important' thing, I WILL get at you with German and Roman light feasts)
Bring it on. I mean every culture and religion has a holiday for this time of year, so why can't Christianity? BTW, it should also be noted that influences flowed back and forth between Christianity and paganism - so throwing up pagan holidays doesn't really prove anything in the grand scheme of things.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
cos I have to write 50-60 Christmas cards and thats too many to be personal with and you ALWAYS forget someone who sends one of you

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hate christmas because my birthday is a week before, I have a big family which means a lot of time with people who I barely talk to during the year, also forced to listen to terrible music, the only good thing is that I am the only one in my family who does not belive in god so on the 25th they all go to church in the morning which is the only alone time I get for about a 2/3 week period

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
It's in the beginning of winter, so I look forward to getting presents for the first month of snow and then have to deal with three to six more months of shit weather, instead of it being a winter wonderland. And people get you gifts and say you don't have to get one for them, but you know you have to get one for them.. sonsabitches

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
yeh this is the thread for me. I fucking hate christmas and I've only been back home since the weekend. Fuck christmas and whatever **** invented it/the corporate ****s who perpetuate this barbaric pre-modern myth. And fuck the family unit, roll on collectivization.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate the fact that the night before Thanksgiving, I drove by a house in our neighborhood that already had Christmas lights on all over the yard. I sorely wanted to slam on the brakes and was tempted to spell out the words "phuck u" on their lawn with their own lights... but usually such things stay within the confines of my zany brane.

So, feeling merciful, as I drove away, I turned on the radio... and found myself listening to.... CHRISTMAS MUSIC? Before Thanksgiving?!

That is why I hate Christmas in the United States.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Christmas/Holiday time sucks because ___________________.
A lot of people lose money buying gifts as tokens of appreciation when they probably needed the money more than usual to pay heating bills. Also, people end up obliged to attend parties, travel, and socialize when they are worn out from work and need to recuperate. The middle of winter people need a break to recharge and save up personal and financial resources, but they all are further spent for the holidays.

I realize it's how people form memories and there are happy feelings associated with Christmas. I find once I let go of Santa, the baby Jesus, and Capitalism, what Christmas mostly has left are pretty lights and responsibilities.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot of people lose money buying gifts as tokens of appreciation when they probably needed the money more than usual to pay heating bills. Also, people end up obliged to attend parties, travel, and socialize when they are worn out from work and need to recuperate. The middle of winter people need a break to recharge and save up personal and financial resources, but they all are further spent for the holidays.

qft

I realize it's how people form memories and there are happy feelings associated with Christmas. I find once I let go of Santa, the baby Jesus, and Capitalism, what Christmas mostly has left are pretty lights and responsibilities.

What about Baby Capitalist Santa?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
No, I like the holidays and I don't care what you all say.

93JC

I like Christmas, if for nothing else than I don't have to go to work.

More recently I've soured on the gift giving and receiving, because quite frankly I don't know what to get anyone and don't want anything from anyone else.

lua

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I like Christmas. It gives me an excuse for smiling at everyone in the mall. Sometimes they even smile back. :wubbie:

....or something bad about Hallmark.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I just really hate the traffic.

I like getting stuff. The food is good. Vacation is awesome.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
When I'm in traffic, I sometimes pretend like I'm magnito (in my head), and pretend to crush and sweep out or my way, all the vehicles ahead of me.

:nerd:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Bring it on. I mean every culture and religion has a holiday for this time of year, so why can't Christianity? BTW, it should also be noted that influences flowed back and forth between Christianity and paganism - so throwing up pagan holidays doesn't really prove anything in the grand scheme of things.

Don't worry. I don't want to offend Christians. It IS a meaningful holiday for Christians, whatever its roots may be.
I just hate it when everybody seems to expect from ME that I act like a good little Christian for one day, while at other days this is the least of their worries.
I will pray with you for the food. I will listen to the sermon. But I will NOT feel joy in my heart because some 2000 years ago a baby was born - even if that seems to be expected from me.

I will, however, feel joy in my heart because I'm together with lots of people I love.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Bring it on. I mean every culture and religion has a holiday for this time of year, so why can't Christianity?

But we don't live under them. Obviously people question the contradictions of the society they live udner and try to resolve them, this is the root of progress. The US wouldn't have been founded if the revolutionaries of the time had sat around thinking "yeh, lots of Empires in history have existed, so why should we rebel against the injustices of the British one".

Fact is, Xmas is stuffed down our throats every year with moralistic talk of "family values", but it's a money-making scheme. If it were genuinely a religious festival why would it be necessarry to insist that everyone be a part of it? That's when you can tell that a ritual has stopped being about sincere personal belief and has started to serve the interests of a state.