• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Importance of Si to INTP's?

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I notice that INTP's talk about Ti, Ne and Fe a lot. There's a kind of self-deprecating but indulgent view towards Fe - INTP people are generally open about their development or lack thereof of this function I find.

However I can't remember who it was, Socionics or an MBTI site, that posited that a types "hidden motive" (I think they put it like that) is the 3rd function, that this is an especially sensitive point for the type, and also of fundamental, underlying importance. For example, for an INTJ/INTp this is Fi, and therefore these types would have a strong underlying "moral" or "values" system and need for authenticity and deeper meaning in their relationships with people, etc.

I was wondering how this would play out with the INTP/INTj. I'm not really familiar with the Si function, I find it hard to grasp when I read what it does - "storing information and checking it against past patterns" or whatever just sounds banal, I can't see the overriding importance of that to someone's personality.

But I tried some introspection. One thing that I once read, I think maybe on a Socionics site, was that the INTP/INTj Si is expressed in a concern for taking care of themselves physically - when it's more advanced expressed in working out etc., when less advanced expressed in concern for health more generally - I would definitely say this is an underlying motivation for me. Secondly, it just occurred to me that I need some sort of control over some space I can call my own - and sometimes this develops into the need for a project - I wondered if this could be Si? Finally, I'm pretty conservative in my habits - while I oscillate between different habits I usually feel the need for any particular "way of life" - pastimes, eating practices, dressing, music, hobbies etc. - to be rooted in something I can identify with as part of a "culture" I can relate to, which precedes me. Very strange sounding I know. :s

I think this, precisely because it's such an underlying motivation, might be very hard for INTP's to realise about themselves.

Does any of what I said resonate?

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
oops I don't know why I put this in the Private forum. Can someone move it please - apologies.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
OK well I don't know if this is always talked about or something I'm nto expert on MBTI forums I only know the little I've seen etc. and a search didn't show up naything on INTP's and Si.

But anyway come to think of it I think I did read that udner stress INTP's lean on Si. I think I'm in that stage right now, going back to my family home every weekend, very much resting on my "background" to identify myself, etc. also throwing myself into a lot of tasks (translating, "sorting my shit out" int erms of form-filling etc.) that are primarily Si based. Does this happen to other INTP's?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
There's a pretty good description of how INTPs use Si in this article, most of which rang pretty true for me: An INTP Profile

But anyway come to think of it I think I did read that udner stress INTP's lean on Si. I think I'm in that stage right now, going back to my family home every weekend, very much resting on my "background" to identify myself, etc. also throwing myself into a lot of tasks (translating, "sorting my shit out" int erms of form-filling etc.) that are primarily Si based. Does this happen to other INTP's?

I do this a fair bit when I feel I'm not being organised enough/too lazy. I never really thought about it being to do with Si though. Interesting thought. The things that I think I do that are Si-ish are relating stories people tell me with my own experiences, hoarding stuff, rereading old diaries (I sometimes go through phases of diary keeping - I'll update it religiously for a week or 2 and then forget I own it for a year), that kind of thing.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think a lot of INTPs have the idea at the back of there minds that there is some grand answer out there, if only they look hard enough. I suspect that is the tertiary Si speaking, calling for things to be defined. A lot of them seem to dislike the idea that perhaps somethings just exist for no particular reason at all.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a lot of INTPs have the idea at the back of there minds that there is some grand answer out there, if only they look hard enough. I suspect that is the tertiary Si speaking, calling for things to be defined. A lot of them seem to dislike the idea that perhaps somethings just exist for no particular reason at all.

I can identify with that.

It took me until about age 30 to really start accepting that there are no answers [we can find], only choices [we can make].

But it might not be Si, it's just that a system is built on certain ideas, and INTP wants the system to accurately reflect the model and so the INTP tries originally to come up with unshakable ideas as the foundation for everything built upon it. We believe they are "constants."

Then something happens to expand our vision, and it's a real worldshaker to realize that the bulk of the things we thought were reliable are still assumptions -- and it totally makes the model feel meaningless. Now nothing makes sense.

It's hard to shift into a new way of thinking, when everything you thought made sense of the world suddenly seems meaningless.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
There's a pretty good description of how INTPs use Si in this article, most of which rang pretty true for me: An INTP Profile

I do this a fair bit when I feel I'm not being organised enough/too lazy. I never really thought about it being to do with Si though. Interesting thought. The things that I think I do that are Si-ish are relating stories people tell me with my own experiences, hoarding stuff, rereading old diaries (I sometimes go through phases of diary keeping - I'll update it religiously for a week or 2 and then forget I own it for a year), that kind of thing.

Thanks, that's an excellent profile, and the first INTP profile I have really identified with. :)

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Oh my fucking God, that profile is so amazingly accurate to me. Especially the part about the ideal home being a town in the middle of the wilderness and all the stuff about lonely, dark landscapes... holy shit MBTI, you've gained my faith again.