• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How Do you Tell an INTP from an ENTP prof?

Usehername

On a mission
They're supposed to be talking the whole time, plus they're in their element so introverts would seem extroverted. How can you tell the two apart? He's a biochem prof.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're supposed to be talking the whole time, plus they're in their element so introverts would seem extroverted. How can you tell the two apart? He's a biochem prof.

ENTP profs would be even more involved with the students, would love it when you show up unannounced for help, would in fact "rove around" looking for students when bored. INTP profs might be wonderful during class but would need more down-time and quietly engage you if/when you visited...or ask you to come back later perhaps. They would more relish "alone" time.

ENTP profs also tend to veer into "Let's try this!" and "Let's try that!" and "What do you think THIS might do or be?" INTP profs tend to listen to your ideas, then critique them first or explain how things probably would work, before just leaping in and trying. (They rely on their mental models more, whereas ENTPs are much more happy to get their hands dirty even if they already think they know the results... they usually love the experience of exploring with another person.)

That's my best guess...

Usehername

On a mission
ENTP profs would be even more involved with the students, would love it when you show up unannounced for help, would in fact "rove around" looking for students when bored. INTP profs might be wonderful during class but would need more down-time and quietly engage you if/when you visited...or ask you to come back later perhaps. They would more relish "alone" time.

ENTP profs also tend to veer into "Let's try this!" and "Let's try that!" and "What do you think THIS might do or be?" INTP profs tend to listen to your ideas, then critique them first or explain how things probably would work, before just leaping in and trying. (They rely on their mental models more, whereas ENTPs are much more happy to get their hands dirty even if they already think they know the results... they usually love the experience of exploring with another person.)

That's my best guess...

Thanks. He's definitely ENTP on that analysis. Introverted profs are sometimes very hard to type.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
For what it's worth: As a prof, I was a mixture of what Jennifer describes -- definitely leaning more towards her descriptions of the ENTP. Of course, I taught very hands-on sorts of classes, so the whole thing about experimentation might not be as indicative of anything in my case.

Usehername

On a mission
For what it's worth: As a prof, I was a mixture of what Jennifer describes -- definitely leaning more towards her descriptions of the ENTP. Of course, I taught very hands-on sorts of classes, so the whole thing about experimentation might not be as indicative of anything in my case.

Well now I'm less confident of my diagnosis :dry:

He feeds off students well, and often makes fun of them during class (one girl has a funny sneeze; he puts his lecture on pause to make fun of her regularly). He's extremely self-deprecating. Certainly an NTP, but I was wondering about I b/c I sit front and center and sometimes he'll get very quiet when he's seriously explaining an idea. Generally he's obtrusively loud in class, though.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP

He feeds off students well, and often makes fun of them during class (one girl has a funny sneeze; he puts his lecture on pause to make fun of her regularly). He's extremely self-deprecating. Certainly an NTP, but I was wondering about I b/c I sit front and center and sometimes he'll get very quiet when he's seriously explaining an idea. Generally he's obtrusively loud in class, though.

I brought water pistols to shoot sleepers in my 8am lecture class. :devil: But your remark about being self-deprecating and quiet at certain points certainly rings true for me as a prof. Somehow, I think ENTPs would be more "on" ALL the time.

Perhaps you could ask digest what she'd be like as a prof. That might help. Or not. :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unusual to find an ENTP as a prof? I've seen INTPs before, but never an E. I do have a male ENTP friend who teaches art theory at a college in California, and I can only imagine that it would be a little piece of reeling anarchy heaven.

The way I tell an ENTP from an INTP is on-sight. The Es radiate a level of animal energy that's unmistakable. The Is are self-contained and very intense.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ

This sounds like my ENTP professor, except that he's hardly ever loud. Based on your description I'd put money on him being an ENTP. :yes:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not a prof, but I have a PhD and I have done temporary/short term work in/for/with universities where I've lectured and/or given seminars or general assistance in my field.

I have to say I agree with Jennifer. I'd roam around looking for people to chat to and be delighted when people stopped me in the corridor or whatever, and would invite them for a pint at lunch time in the pub. I'd often be found there with a few of other teachers/students that I gathered together to chat and theorize together.

The INTP's (there were two at the college in question) spent most of their non-class time in their offices, hoping not to be disturbed.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i've never given thought to what i'd be like as a teacher, but i do teach at odd times and out of nowhere when i'm around kids (or adults if they ask me something), so i can base my answer on that. maybe that'll help as i imagine i'd be exactly the same. i know no other way. :)

a couple of examples of my way of teaching:

i live in a townhouse complex full of kids running around. one (around 9-10 yrs old) hurt himself while playing football, and was yelling that he'd "broke all of his bones". (okay, i'm not gonna lie. i laughed. i mean ALL of 'em? that's serious, people!) but, anyway, i could see he was in pain, but definitely not broken, so i grinned, pulled him up and said, "come on, lemme see what we've got here."

i poked around on him gently but dramatically. asking him each time, "does this hurt?" as he insisted loudly that it did each time. knowing i was tickling him, i kept it up until he started laughing.

then, i said, "maybe we should be sure. let's check for ourselves. want to see your finger bones to be sure?" he squealed, "yes!". i brought him and the rest of the kids inside, turned off the lights, and used a flashlight to light up their hands, showing them their bones and the red glow of their blood. by that time, he and his friends had forgotten all about his pain, they'd become 'aware' of their inner body, and knew a new trick.

a short time later, i had a chicken. a store-bought whole chicken, and remembering this, i called them, asking if they want to "help cut up a bird". of course they agreed.

first, i got them in the mood and laughing by making the raw chicken 'dance' and 'fly' by holding it up by its wings while singing a circus tune. then, i let the braver ones pull on the wings to see how they 'work', how muscles extend/contract, doing the same with their arms to compare, etc. piece by piece, literally, i taught them about skin, bones, muscles, veins, arteries... and encouraged them to touch, laugh, say "yuck!", make shocked faces, and ask lots of questions, which i gladly answered.

i do this kind of thing from time to time. does this help?

Last edited:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

That sounds like an ENTP. All my life people have been telling me that I'm either too quiet or too loud. I still haven't learned the whole indoor voice/outdoor voice thing. :blush:

I used to teach math courses at a university and most of the other faculty members were INTP, so here some other ways I think you can tell the two types apart. First, INTP's simply cannot give off the enthusiasm that an ENTP can. If you see that enthusiasm that sucks you into the subject then it's almost certain you have an ENTP. Also even when I'm trying not to be, it's very hard for me to not be a smartass. I can usually tone it down, but as soon as some student gives a smart remark, I fire something back without even thinking about it. If this professor is already making fun of students, then he is probably an ENTP.

INTP's on the other hand have a tendency to be dry in their presentation (some INTP's are worse than others though). INTP's are going to focus more on theory than other profs. An ENTP will try to present both theory and application and how the two relate to each other. If you learn about their areas of reserch/expertise then INTP is usually advancing pure theory, but the ENTP will usually be advancing some application of theory. Beyond that other differences between the two types are probably more subtle.

Usehername

On a mission
That sounds like an ENTP. All my life people have been telling me that I'm either too quiet or too loud. I still haven't learned the whole indoor voice/outdoor voice thing. :blush:

I used to teach math courses at a university and most of the other faculty members were INTP, so here some other ways I think you can tell the two types apart. First, INTP's simply cannot give off the enthusiasm that an ENTP can. If you see that enthusiasm that sucks you into the subject then it's almost certain you have an ENTP. Also even when I'm trying not to be, it's very hard for me to not be a smartass. I can usually tone it down, but as soon as some student gives a smart remark, I fire something back without even thinking about it. If this professor is already making fun of students, then he is probably an ENTP.

INTP's on the other hand have a tendency to be dry in their presentation (some INTP's are worse than others though). INTP's are going to focus more on theory than other profs. An ENTP will try to present both theory and application and how the two relate to each other. If you learn about their areas of reserch/expertise then INTP is usually advancing pure theory, but the ENTP will usually be advancing some application of theory. Beyond that other differences between the two types are probably more subtle.

He was making fun of people before he started the first lecture. He definitely speaks before he thinks. He is 100% smartass. He's caring underneath though, it's endearing. And he's very enthusiastic.

ENTP :yes:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I knew an INTP and ENTP who were best friends. I was involved with the ENTP at the time. Sitting in front of them was a head-trip because you could see how they were thinking in sync and getting the same impressions, but while the INTP might just smirk darkly at something that amused him, the ENTP would affect the perfect poker face, put his hands behind his head and drop some very sharp dry observation that would kill every one. I know our INFJ instructor always had his hands full with the two of them.