• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] motivation

SecantSquared

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
how do you motivate yourself to get done what you need to? (especially if it's uninteresting)

ygolo

My termites win
I wish I knew myself. I will be awaiting answers in this thread.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I don't tend to motivate myself. I prefer to refocus motivation that already exists.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
thanks. you're so helpful.

You're welcome.

Take, for example, something (Z) for which you are motivated to accomplish/get/do. To get to Z, task Y must be completed. (IE: If Z is purchasing something, Y may be the effort required to get to the point of purchase)

To motivate yourself to do X, you can relate it to an already motivated Y by seeing X as necessary for Y. Logically, from this point it is seen that X is necessary for Y and, per syllogism, Z. (which is already motivated)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm either too smart or too dumb to trick myself into thinking that way.

I get motivated by screaming fuck a lot and panicking until the deadline comes closer. Then I kick into hyper mode and get shit done.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If x equals a goal or destination.
If y equals motivation or energy.
If z equals efficiency or productivity.

I mentally (you can do it in paper too) make a list of all the reasons why I should do x. The bigger the list of reasons, the more y I get; the better z will be to get to x.

---

Also in your case, the more positive reasons you have, the more you can outweigh the negative ones, and once that's cleared and ready: Full Steam Ahead! It's like that recent thread I made, I did the same, and hell I got an interview coming up!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like the challenge of an interesting problem...

Paying me always helps - I get really pissed if something goes wrong with paying me....

I hate mundane repetative stuff, so I lace it with things I enjoy doing.... I an big on short bursts of activity... I may well start an email that I want to write, tinker with a document that is a chore and do something else all within a 10 minute window, so it balances out.

I always try and shift the white noise activities and just blitz them or they can take forever to do.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I get motivated by screaming fuck a lot and panicking until the deadline comes closer. Then I kick into hyper mode and get shit done.

This sums up my strategy. I currently have a deadline on tuesday, the following friday, and some others after that. Sometimes this works and I get the work done, and other times I'm paralysed into fear of performance failure, or "Shit, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing and it's due in tomorrow faaaaack. Why didn't I at least read the assessment criteria?"

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This sums up my strategy. I currently have a deadline on tuesday, the following friday, and some others after that. Sometimes this works and I get the work done, and other times I'm paralysed into fear of performance failure, or "Shit, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing and it's due in tomorrow faaaaack. Why didn't I at least read the assessment criteria?"

+1. Except recently I've not been able to access the "get shit done fast" mode, and have basically been stuck in paralysis.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yup. Panic-induced adrenaline is about the only thing that will kick my ass into gear.
Fortunately I perform well under (short term) stress.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I gotta be somewhere but Im still waiting around for the answer...take your time

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
uh
I used to procrastinate a lot. but, I found that doing something way before its due completely eliminates its deadline. i like that.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

I do something along those lines or I find a way to get out of it.

For instance - I have a housekeeper, so I don't have to do much in the way of chores. (Got out of that...)

I also wait 'til the deadline comes around and there I am being productive.

When I *have* to do chores, I kinda make a game out of them like most SPs apparently do. Laundry and dishes are sorting games. Even brushing my teeth is an imaginary toothbrushing competition... Yeah...

If it's something that involves other people, then their level of interest motivates me. If they all really wanna do something, then I'll get into it.