• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] Depressive after finishing a big job

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've spent the last 10 weeks doing on average 12-hour workdays at least 6 days a week, combined from intense studying and paid work.

My goal was clear. To finish my school. First to do two month's paid work in one month, then to do a year's worth of writing in one month. I was concentrated, the task was clear - neglect most of the content in life, neglect everything - concentrate on the work.

Now it's over and I feel a bit depressed. It's been two days now. I barely even feel the importance of anything, but I vaguely desire some kind of fulfillment, feeling, perhaps art, connection or something like that.

I could continue working on another goal, which I have already set. Getting a good job over the one I just quit. I don't have much time before I'm out of money, so I better start right away.

I'm just wondering, at what time will I be able to find what's meaningful and important? I've had it at a time, but not for a while.. but it'll come there.

Perhaps I'm depressed because of having neglected most of everything except Te. Well, I got the job done, so I was bloody damned effective. Now that I'd wish everything to do with friends, arts, joy of life, carefree life, everything I've enjoyed before.. I realize that I haven't taken a good care of any of that in the past two months or more. Perhaps even 4 months.

I guess these meaning-of-life -kind of things need steady maintenance, or else they break and need to be repaired.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sounds like you need a nice relaxing break. I got very depressed while I was writing my final dissertation. It's very isolating when you have to just work, work, work. Even if it's just for a few days, definitely take care of yourself before getting too much into finding a new job.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I know what you mean. It happens to me, too, when I finish a long demanding strip of work/school combination. Usually, contact with nature helps me to get back to healthy; hiking, some days near the sea without excessive contacts with technology; going cross-country skiing for 2-3 days. During this time of the year, the winter darkness & damp weather definitely doesn't help feeling better; if you feel the lack of sunlight, perhaps going once or twice to the tanning saloon can elevate your mood a little bit.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I know that feeling, too. I suggest to neglect all the work and school for a few days and go and RELAAAAAX, whatever helps you relax - people, gym, nature, art...

and make a plan how you are going to relax. no, I'm not kidding, it sort of satisfies your Te as well in that case. so - the only rule is not to think about work/school for a few days - and it means no work-e-mails, no phonecalls etc! (yes, I know it's difficult but you can do it! we believe in you!). other than that you can be as J-like about planning your relaxation as you like :)

basically - use your main function, as it is your strongest asset... just in a bit different way... you are an N, after all, you will find new ways.

I helped to get my ENTJ out of that state you are at this point a few weeks ago. I have to say, it's amazing how you J-s actually need a system and a plan to be able to relax :p

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Happens to me all the time too. I thought i was an enneagram 7 thing.

Jump on a new project? And start rebuilding the things you've been neglecting.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I do freelance work where I work intensely for almost a year and then usually have a couple of months off. Whenever I finish a job, I always get sick that next week. It's not the same as being depressed, but I have to say I think they're connected. It's like my body says it's okay to get sick now.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Good advice with planning a vacation or just relaxing - planning to relax sounds good too, Lol. Planning about fun and meaning of life wouldn't stress me out. Maybe I'll do just that. Or, not plan. Not planning seems to come naturally now, too. Thanks.

This third day was more fun :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, I'm in kind of the opposite situation.

I feel "trapped" without a clear goal filling up my life like school or work, and never manage to enjoy relaxing much. I end up enjoying myself more when I've got work... as strange as that sounds.

In fact, I work so hard at keeping my mind occupied when I've got no goals that it's hardly a break...

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are you avoiding something? Was just wondering since you said you have to work at keeping your mind occupied.