• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs Not Usually Good at Practical Matters

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am wondering prompted my question in the first place. There was something substantive on my mind when I asked it. It wasn't about disliking or having trouble doing mundane things.

WTF do you put on a tu-tu and dance the lead role to the Nutcracker while you are watering your plants/raking leaves etc. or something!?:shock:

This doesn't seem to be in type and more of an individual idiosyncrasy. Most INTPs don't do mundane things not because what people think rather the INTP just "can't be bothered" with the task and will procrastinate until someone else does it or it becomes too much of a bother not to do it (i.e. laundry; buying more clothes so you don't have to do laundry end up with like 300 pairs of black socks that you eventually will have to fold and match when you finally must do laundry).

Edit: Nevermind I read "too theoretical" as to "theatrical"...my bad...mooo!

Last edited:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am half-way decent at a few things (circuit design, programming, school math, school physics). The problem is I get bored with activities and want to try something different.

I checked out the thread. I may even be counted as "financially successful" (so far) but I am rather bored with my current station in life, and am looking to make a major change...a change that will most likely take a decade to make.
Good. Then you have identified the true nature of the problem - lack of motivation, rather than lack of ability. Your values and priorities and lifestyle are as valid as anyone else's. Don't allow your ability to detach and see yourself from another perspective and through the prism of someone else's priorities to cause you to question your own unique value.

I think it is mainly a feeling of being marginalized because people perceive my approach to things being "too theoretical."

Can one be "too theoretical"? As a physicist?

To be marginalised is to be devalued by society. Yet you say you are financially successful. You say your colleagues compliment you on the excellence of your work. So why is this a concern for you?

INTPs can be very "practical" with sufficient motivation. I know a truly brilliant one who was a director in one of the "Big-5", gave it up to move into academia then gave that up to be a stay-at-home dad, then decided to start his own company designing and making furniture.

Boredom is a curse, but can also a catalyst for growth and self-improvement.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
INTPs can be very "practical" with sufficient motivation.

I think that INTPs specifically, and NPs in general, have a serious motivational issue. But I believe us all to be good at practical matters - once we get motivated.

ygolo

My termites win
Good. Then you have identified the true nature of the problem - lack of motivation, rather than lack of ability. Your values and priorities and lifestyle are as valid as anyone else's. Don't allow your ability to detach and see yourself from another perspective and through the prism of someone else's priorities to cause you to question your own unique value.

Good point.

Can one be "too theoretical"? As a physicist?

I'm not a physicist yet, I am an engineer. That's the career change that will take a decade.

To be marginalised is to be devalued by society. Yet you say you are financially successful. You say your colleagues compliment you on the excellence of your work. So why is this a concern for you?

Well, that was a while ago. These days my feedback is just average, and this year I actually got a warning (but mainly due to illness)

INTPs can be very "practical" with sufficient motivation. I know a truly brilliant one who was a director in one of the "Big-5", gave it up to move into academia then gave that up to be a stay-at-home dad, then decided to start his own company designing and making furniture.

Boredom is a curse, but can also a catalyst for growth and self-improvement.

Also a good point.

Spykgb

MBTI Type
Istp
Enneagram
Istp
I'm istp

Istp are the same as far as household chores and boredom issues. I even
met an infj that had piles of clothes in her room:hug:

Seems to be a matter of taste, then, I guess. You can't really control other people's perceptions.

If your approach works and it's not terribly inefficient, then even if you spend more time addressing theory than the average person, you are still getting the job done.

Not thinking a lot about something and just doing it can be efficient, but sometimes actually thinking about what you are doing and considering the theoretical stuff can be even more efficient, if you come up with a better way to do it. It's also more fun than just plodding along like a pre-programed meat robot.

OTOH, if you are having to communicate your ideas/processes to others, being more concrete and simple can be helpful. You just have to invest some time into dumbing things down. My INTP is actually better at that than I am which is why I refer the kids to him for questions that involve science/theory.

ygolo

My termites win
Seems to be a matter of taste, then, I guess. You can't really control other people's perceptions.

If your approach works and it's not terribly inefficient, then even if you spend more time addressing theory than the average person, you are still getting the job done.

Not thinking a lot about something and just doing it can be efficient, but sometimes actually thinking about what you are doing and considering the theoretical stuff can be even more efficient, if you come up with a better way to do it. It's also more fun than just plodding along like a pre-programed meat robot.

OTOH, if you are having to communicate your ideas/processes to others, being more concrete and simple can be helpful. You just have to invest some time into dumbing things down. My INTP is actually better at that than I am which is why I refer the kids to him for questions that involve science/theory.

Yeah, it certainly is more fun for me when I delve into the theoretical aspects of the job I am doing. Sometimes it does make me more expedient. But I also realize that I do not need nearly as much theory to do a job as I usually get. I find that a bit annoying.

I think it would help me a lot to learn to "dumb things down," but I don't really consider the people I work with to be dumb. Some are PhDs, and most have at least a masters. So at the least they have extensive education.

I'm istp

Istp are the same as far as household chores and boredom issues. I even
met an infj that had piles of clothes in her room:hug:

Yeah, I think a lot of types have problems doing routine things on a regular basis.

I think wanting to do many things is an indication of having many talents (in my case my talents are clustered around abstract systems--CS, EE, Math, Physics).

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think what they mean is,

"Practical matters are not good enough for THEM."

If you cared about every day life like you cared about whatever else you're interested in, you'd excel in that area too.

Or just take a Home Ecs class.

I think it's the "N" that screws you all up.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty handy. That said, I wouldn't want to work with my hands all day long. I enjoy occasionally indulging in practical matters when there's a reason for it, a neccesity. It's good for my Ne as well. But it should never become a habit.

But you won't see me trying to fix anything unless I need too. Or unless it's a computer, but computers are fun.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I guess it was because that may be they have not found which practical based work that they are fond of. Or may be the Ti-Ne is so strong that, it repress the Si-Fe. Si-Fe will be practical, but it may not be the same in behavior which is observable empirically like Fe-Si. I would just imagine that Si-Fe be like a doctor who diagnose a patient, writing prescriptions, while Fe-Si be like a nurse that actually performs injections, helping the patients take a bath.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm good with money management, but investing has always been an interest, not a chore. Suck at: cooking (actually went raw vegan to avoid the stove— I've graduated to using the toaster oven— quite the feat), cleaning (everything is everywhere, always), all chores/habits that the ESTJs find so important (eg. The every-6-weeks hair appointment— after about half a year I usually realize there's a line on the back of my head where the highlights end).

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am good at everything, because I try to be good at everything. It might be because I am Enneagram 1 sp. Which makes me take action more than other INTPs. Its not that I am very good at these things, or I enjoy doing them. I just get anxiety with too much chaos.

rav3n

My husband's excellent at what he cares about and disregards what he doesn't care about. So, rather than perceive it as being good or bad about practical matters, perhaps consider the magnitude of uncaring, relative to functional adult or not.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
They have to care about a subject enough to be motivated to follow through and demonstrate their talents. They don't really care about being practical.

Motherfuckers.

*spites anything NTP*

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
They have to care about a subject enough to be motivated to follow through and demonstrate their talents. They don't really care about being practical.

Motherfuckers.

*spites anything NTP*

Don't hate us cuz you ain't us.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Intuitive type that doesn't do practical matters could signify imbalances with its sensor psychological functions. I feel that it is actually bad, but I just can't explain why for your type.
If I were you, I'd find a way so that I could be also practical, and I would not take pride of being typed as intuitive imbalances.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Potentially good at anything, practically good for nothing, but what I do do, I do well. But good at everything? I wouldn't tell you if I were. :D

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Intuitive type that doesn't do practical matters could signify imbalances with its sensor psychological functions. I feel that it is actually bad, but I just can't explain why for your type.
If I were you, I'd find a way so that I could be also practical, and I would not take pride of being typed as intuitive imbalances.

Wow , INtj being jealous 'cause intp are smarter xDD.
But yeah ... being good at practical matters is just a way to show the world who you are really are.
The biggest problem for intp's is motivation ... whatever i'm just too lazy to continue.