• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Understanding the functions of the INTJ

ByTheTime

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I’m new to the entire MBTI theories but am trying to learn. I’ve consistently tested as an INTJ. I=89%, N=90%, T=90%, and J=86%. Seeing as how I have always been rather offbeat, MBTI has given me somewhat of a clearer understanding of myself. I’m particularly interested in how I think through things. I’ve always found my thought process to be slightly different. I have an immense problem articulating my ideas in a way others can understand. I can easily express my ideas in a way I understand, but others cannot. This is something I would really like to improve on.

To start out, I’ll tell you what little I already know so we aren’t covering old ground. This is my basic understanding and if any of it is incorrect please do correct me. As I typed what I know, I put any questions I had in red.

Functions
Superior: Introverted Intuition
Auxiliary: Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary: Introverted Feeling
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

Shadow Type
Extroverted Intuition
Introverted Thinking
Extroverted Feeling
Introverted Sensing

This means:

Ni is my most preferred function and Se my least. Also, Te is my second preference and Fi my third.

I know shadow types are the opposite of the “main” functions. Is there a specific name for the main functions? I’ve read what little info online I could find about John Beebe’s archetypes. If I understand this correctly, Anima/Animus (Ne) is a bridge between the conscious and unconscious. I couldn’t find much info on Witch (Ti), Trickster (Fe), or Daemon (Si) according to Beebe. Could someone explain these relations to my personality and what role they play?

To be broad, I don’t have a complete understanding of the shadow type and would like to know what roles they play specifically to INTJs.

Also, what importances do Se and Fi play?

What function do I need to better develop to help convey my ideas correctly?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I have read about the meanings behind each function. I just don't have I clear or in depth understanding of the roles they play.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
I’m new to the entire MBTI theories but am trying to learn. I’ve consistently tested as an INTJ. I=89%, N=90%, T=90%, and J=86%. Seeing as how I have always been rather offbeat, MBTI has given me somewhat of a clearer understanding of myself. I’m particularly interested in how I think through things. I’ve always found my thought process to be slightly different. I have an immense problem articulating my ideas in a way others can understand. I can easily express my ideas in a way I understand, but others cannot. This is something I would really like to improve on.

To start out, I’ll tell you what little I already know so we aren’t covering old ground. This is my basic understanding and if any of it is incorrect please do correct me. As I typed what I know, I put any questions I had in red.

Functions
Superior: Introverted Intuition
Auxiliary: Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary: Introverted Feeling
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

Shadow Type
Extroverted Intuition
Introverted Thinking
Extroverted Feeling
Introverted Sensing

This means:

Ni is my most preferred function and Se my least. Also, Te is my second preference and Fi my third.

I know shadow types are the opposite of the “main” functions. Is there a specific name for the main functions? I’ve read what little info online I could find about John Beebe’s archetypes. If I understand this correctly, Anima/Animus (Ne) is a bridge between the conscious and unconscious. I couldn’t find much info on Witch (Ti), Trickster (Fe), or Daemon (Si) according to Beebe. Could someone explain these relations to my personality and what role they play?

To be broad, I don’t have a complete understanding of the shadow type and would like to know what roles they play specifically to INTJs.

Also, what importances do Se and Fi play?

What function do I need to better develop to help convey my ideas correctly?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I have read about the meanings behind each function. I just don't have I clear or in depth understanding of the roles they play.

Often the first four functions are called 'primary functions' as opposed to shadow functions.

I don't know how old you are, but it seems important to develop your functions following their order. Meaning that teriary Fi and inferior Se can only mature constructively and controlled when you have a well founded dominant tandem to supervise their activity, thus your perceptive Ni (seeing connectivities intuitively and in depth) supported by your judging and desicive Te (getting your insights out in the world in an efficient and productive manner).

From your question about learning to communicate your ideas better, I'd say that you are in the process of exploring and integrating your extraverted thinking (perhaps with a bit of empathic Fi to make you tune in on authentic contact with others).

Third function:
Fi seems to be a sore spot of worry and vulnerability for IxTJs well into adulthood and is often expressed in a 'negative' way: "I could get hurt, it is not worth it = better not get involved!" (with people, crushes, values, feelings etc.). An INTJ friend of mine around 40 is quite apt at Fi, strong values and insight in self. Fi's tricky to detect because it's introverted, but I feel that his Fi especially peeps through in the 'relieving' shape of humor, self-irony and double entendres... :cheese: It's like an entire subtext under his Te-claims.

Fourth function:
The people I know with inferior Se (INxJs) are generally quite unexpressive with their bodies. They can be very reserved qua touch (oppositional inferior going "Eek, don't touch me!"), until Ni-Te and eventually Fi have given their permission to go (very) physical.
An odd pattern I've noticed is that they love to ride their bike - come rain, come snow - or moving the lawn if that's what has entered their exclusive selection of very physical activities, shutting off Ni for a time. Also, it's inferior, so sometimes they enjoy biking at the edge of danger! :devil:

PS.
As for the shadow functions I don't have a clear image of their role and the literature seems to differ too. So I'm just as curious as you to learn more.