• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] P Perfectionism

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
In high school botany, we had to make an educational board game, so I designed it as a pseudo-Jeopardy-meets-Chutes-and-Ladders. Basically, you moved forward or back depending on if you got questions right or not...maybe we had a die, but I can't remember.

Anyway, I designed the board in such a way that the game itself was unbeatable, but it was cleverly designed to look as though you could. Ahahaha, we had other kids play our games and I cackled in sadistic glee as they masochistically continued to try to beat my game. In my defense, by having an unbeatable game to work as a study guide, you would eventually learn all the answers to the trivia. :evil:

DEFINITELY something I would do!! Hell, I'll have to try that sometime....

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a musician, and I'm a die-hard perfectionist.
Every guitar tone needs to 'hit the spot'
Every vocal note needs to be ridiculously perfect.
Every layer, every nuance, every little bit of detail needs to be handled.

It gets annoying, and sometimes being too much of a perfectionist saps the soul from the task at hand. Sometimes, you just need to go with the flow (I believe INFPs are particularly good at this). Other times, however, perfectionism will place you a head and above others, will separate you from the mediocre; it's all a matter of knowing when to apply your idiosyncrasies! :)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm a musician, and I'm a die-hard perfectionist.
Every guitar tone needs to 'hit the spot'
Every vocal note needs to be ridiculously perfect.
Every layer, every nuance, every little bit of detail needs to be handled.

It gets annoying, and sometimes being too much of a perfectionist saps the soul from the task at hand. Sometimes, you just need to go with the flow (I believe INFPs are particularly good at this). Other times, however, perfectionism will place you a head and above others, will separate you from the mediocre; it's all a matter of knowing when to apply your idiosyncrasies! :)

This was the bane of my musical life. I used to beat myself up endlessly trying to find the right tone, note, feel, effect, blahblahblah...
I've decided that the pursuit of perfection is always destructive. Now I try to achieve 'excellence'. Perfectionism doesn't let you breathe freely.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Two main things:

First off, I'm a lethargic perfectionist. I want everything to be flawless, but don't want to invest the effort to make it so. Yeah... we can see how that works just fine XD

That being said, I do actually put excessive effort into things I enjoy, but I've also come to the second conclusion... perfectionism is pointless; it takes 10 times the effort to get that last 5-10%. Being 90-95% perfect at something and then diverting yeur time and resources into something else allows yeu to be excellent at a great many things very quickly. Striving to reach that 100% in a single field is generally a waste of time as most people can't tell the difference anyway, and it's practically useless in virtually all situations. I'd rather just be excessively good at everything than godlike at a single thing and fail forever at everything else.

Also, school is not about perfection; it's about memorization. If yeu have a good memory, yeu do well in grade-high school. Skill's only appreciated in post-secondary, and even then alot of the time it's not.