• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Gap between E and I for NT's

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi

Been thinking about how different NT's types manifest themselves and the gap between E and I types of the same core... ie gap between the E and the I types of NTP and NTJ's

When I look at the difference between the E and I of NTPs they appear to be quite close, many ENTPs appear to be INTPs over projecting (ie E types natrual state would be calmer than they are protraying). That the core styls are pretty similar....

But when I look at the same gap between NTJ's they seem really poles appart between the I and the E.

Do you see the communialities between the E and I or see the gaps? ?????

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
The similarity between ENTP and INTP in the E/I duality seem to arise from situations where the social environment is heavily SF oriented, effectively making ENTPs shut up or whatnot creating the impression that they're borderlining INTP.

However, in situations that are NP oriented, the E/I disparity between the ENTP and INTP becomes more apparent. Sometimes, an INTP can get socially inept even in his own preferred N environment.

I'm an ENTP with a weak E. I don't know if this put that much bearing in your observation, but compared to an INTJ that I know, My E is so strong by comparison.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The similarity between ENTP and INTP in the E/I duality seem to arise from situations where the social environment is heavily SF oriented, effectively making ENTPs shut up or whatnot creating the impression that they're borderlining INTP.

However, in situations that are NP oriented, the E/I disparity between the ENTP and INTP becomes more apparent. Sometimes, an INTP can get socially inept even in his own preferred N environment.

I'm an ENTP with a weak E. I don't know if this put that much bearing in your observation, but compared to an INTJ that I know, My E is so strong by comparison.

I don't know many INTP socally I ought to point out, so it may be different as you say when in calmer company.

I really do think ENTPs are really socailly uncomfortable... the E expression is when expressing ideas/building them rather than in social situations in new company or quieter company.

I totally agree that an ENTP in comparision to an INTJ is massive, INTP would be in the middle between those two.

It just seems to work differently.

L

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I do consider myself social. Primarily because I decided to be. 3 years ago, I was more like INTP/INFP. Currently, I place myself at eNtP.

I know two INTPs. Very weak socially. AN INTJ can pass as a stereotypical boring ISTJ, but these two INTPs I know come off as weird and obnoxious.

Not that ENTPs don't get that weird accusation, but they seem to manage the weirdness better.

The two INTPs I know probably know little about MBTI, with not so much realization on how eccentric they are. Kinda like being lost.

A good sign that there's a good transition from INTP to an ENTP:

1. Better self management. Not necessarily hiding off the weirdness factor but making it more appealing to others.

2. Less Ti assertion. For example, compare how Dr. Phil (possibly an INTP) assert things, to Steven Colbert's (possibly an ENTP) playfulness.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I do consider myself social. Primarily because I decided to be. 3 years ago, I was more like INTP/INFP. Currently, I place myself at eNtP.

I know two INTPs. Very weak socially. AN INTJ can pass as a stereotypical boring ISTJ, but these two INTPs I know come off as weird and obnoxious.

Not that ENTPs don't get that weird accusation, but they seem to manage the weirdness better.

The two INTPs I know probably know little about MBTI, with not so much realization on how eccentric they are. Kinda like being lost.

A good sign that there's a good transition from INTP to an ENTP:

1. Better self management. Not necessarily hiding off the weirdness factor but making it more appealing to others.

2. Less Ti assertion. For example, compare how Dr. Phil (possibly an INTP) assert things, to Steven Colbert's (possibly an ENTP) playfulness.

Your not the first ENTP I've heard own that they made an active choice not to be an I.... wonder if that is why I see the E and the I of this type being so similar. I'd say I made the chocie in highschool

INTPs can be very in their head, when I was chatting with an OR's recently (operational researcher = does mathematical modeling), is an INTP who admitted he was into Scifi - which gave me a laugh at the time because he is so straight at work. But they have a degree of weirdness as you say. I'm weird but I'm realtively comfortable with it.

I do think that ENTPs have massive self managment issues at the best of times, actually ENFPs also suffer from this.

Your point 2 bullet above makes no sense as they are local references and I'm not in the US so haven't a clue who they are :)

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I'm great with new, fresh crowds (acting, debates, classroom discussions and so forth), but it's almost as if my more immediate (and SF dominated tbh) company won't let me grow out of the conceptions of me when I arrived in this neighbourhood as a kid (ie an eccentric, intense ITP).

I can't develop me Ne without some damn E-ing, damnit!

Actually, I relate to you quite well Cycoclapse, right down to the pair of INTP friends.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Ok.

Errrr...compare Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean. Possibly an ENTP) to any of those intellectual forum shows in BBC (soooooooo INTP. LOL!)

I decided to make a shift to E because when I was in my I mode back then, I don't feel that there are a lot of things going for me (academic life, etc).

I'm not necessarily implying that E would make things better, but it made me happier knowing that I can generate pun in whatever disposition I'm in. Basically Ne optimization, which, at the same time, conditions me psychologically to me more optimistic on things, unlike INTP/INFP mode, which can sometimes lead me into being sucked by my occasional loneliness.

My relationship with people thus improved. I could say that there's also an improvement in that other definition of extroversion.

A lot of NPs can have this feeling of being lost, wandering around or what, but at least they can CONDITION themselves to be happy at it.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Mr Bean is interesting, of course he is just a character, but on his own he has the flakeness fo an ENTP with the lack of communication of an INTJ/P... v strange... Id' say he was neither but has qualities of both.

If you follow British humour I'd say Black Adder was more ENTP - although this is not a considered oppinion.

I can totally relate to the shift between I to E, but it still fundementally an uncofortable possition to be in if there is genuinely not a E within.... In MBTI def I'm very much an E so long as the people I am chewing the fat with can help thinking rather than close it down or peak it to death... HATE that.

I think Being E can help, I type living can be quite isolating, but not nessisarily because they want to be, just seems to happen. E type have the benefit of networking, but specific ENTPs can use those networks innapropraitely - trying to get things from people, not nessesarily consiously, but they don't nessesarily see they are taking the piss.

Wider NPs can lack focus and tend to whirl around in conceptual space, but they almost always have an eye for the donut and not on the hole... so know exactly which way is up.. but can float around.

I hae a mate who is an ENFP and she and I use very similar think processes, except she communicated intermediary steps and I go straight to a very well thoughtout solution/conclusion. Her thinking is like a cartoon character falling out a tree... she bounces down the branches that she if falling into and communicates each of these branches of her thought... so when she hits the ground people have followed her train. Me, I just fall from the top and the tree and hit the ground, and people don't follow how I got there... not always easy to accept that I've gone through the exact same thinking process.

Kenneth - I know the feeling about people only seeing part of you all to well, keep up challegning them. But also be kind, because it is difficult for anyone seeing changes in people, I still have to stop myself form overly looking after babies I knew when I was little, who are now adults...

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

i can agree with this. i'm very high on the E scale and even i have trouble extroverting around some SFs because it's like we're speaking completely different languages in different dimensions. Either I'm finding their conversation boring or they're finding my conversation weird. there's only so long I can hear about all the things you get done at a spa, the annoyances of your work day before i want to rip your arm off and beat you with it and there's only so long until they start taking my off-color jokes seriously and will want to cal the police or the ASPCA.

I don't consider myself introverted in this situation because I'm still actively engaging in my surroundings be paying attention to what 's going on around me and eavesdropping in on other conversations in order to find something more interesting. If I hear bits of a conversation that interest me more than the SF conversation I've been known to just wander away and join the new conversation

i also agree that in NP and ST situations, the differences between E/I will be noticeable.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
i can agree with this. i'm very high on the E scale and even i have trouble extroverting around some SFs because it's like we're speaking completely different languages in different dimensions. Either I'm finding their conversation boring or they're finding my conversation weird. there's only so long I can hear about all the things you get done at a spa, the annoyances of your work day before i want to rip your arm off and beat you with it and there's only so long until they start taking my off-color jokes seriously and will want to cal the police or the ASPCA.

I don't consider myself introverted in this situation because I'm still actively engaging in my surroundings be paying attention to what 's going on around me and eavesdropping in on other conversations in order to find something more interesting. If I hear bits of a conversation that interest me more than the SF conversation I've been known to just wander away and join the new conversation

i also agree that in NP and ST situations, the differences between E/I will be noticeable.

Hi, me, how are you doing?

I'm beginning to think the main difference between INTPs and ENTPs is that the former are content to have things theoretically worked out, while the latter wants to see it happen. The whole professor/inventor dichotomy. Other than that, the two can be fairly similar.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also notice that ENTPs always look like they are observing people no matter how loud they are, they also have a weird habit of looking at people with a little smirk as if they've made some funny observation on their behaviour

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I get along with INTJs really well and feel like I understand them really well too. I can't really think of any really strong differences.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I also notice that ENTPs always look like they are observing people no matter how loud they are, they also have a weird habit of looking at people with a little smirk as if they've made some funny observation on their behaviour

*smirks*

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

I'm not sure I'd define the smirk in the same way, a mate of mine once described it when I was a teenager, as "a smile that seems like it didn't quite get teh joke, but will smile anyways, just to please you"...

I thought that was very sweet.

Tink gaps between E and I typs of
xNTP
xNTJ

Not nessesarily if they get on, most NT's get along OK, it's just the I and the E type seem to have a gap...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
there's only so long I can hear about all the things you get done at a spa, the annoyances of your work day before i want to rip your arm off and beat you with it and there's only so long until they start taking my off-color jokes seriously and will want to cal the police or the ASPCA.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

I think this is possibly just an NP thing because I'm an ENFP and I identify strongly with the above.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree most NTs get along well enough but along with the understanding we have there is alot of debating and arguing I find this more when im with NTJs

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree most NTs get along well enough but along with the understanding we have there is alot of debating and arguing I find this more when im with NTJs

Whats the difference between you and and ENTP

Or between ENTJ and INTJ....

Personally I think the gap between ENTP and INTP is realtively small, but the one between ENTJ's and INTJs is huge

redsox44344

MBTI Type
ENTP
The difference between ENTJ and INTJ may be because the difference in using Ni or Te as a leading or secondary function. If you think about it carefully, the Ni and Te are extremely different, and in whichever order you use them may give you a completely different look and thought process, in which switching Ne and Ti as primary and secondary functions will not.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Difference between INTP and ENTP is that ENTPs I know tend to talk about the things they think about and look for reactions and answers from the outside world very few people tend to know what INTP are thinking about, we think for the sake of thinking lol, we need to filter everything we encounter or experience through Ti which is why we never really seem in the moment. I have a friend who is definetly NTJ he seems to have everyone's respect and has a active social life yet he seems very Introverted somedays

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
NFs seek happiness in relationships with others

SPs seek happiness in sensory experiences and living life to the fullest.

SJs seek happiness in familiarity and order.

NTs are by far the most neurotic and messed up of all of them because they seek happiness in competency and control over there environment.

INTs try to gain mastery over an internal world.(See schizoid and Avoident personality disorder)

ENTs try to gain master over their external world.(Egomania and Compensatory Narcissism )

INTJs and ENTJs are different because there main functions are so different.

Te is very efficient and ruthless at whatever it sets its mind to, the problem being that it often never re-evaluates if its goals are really that good of an idea.

Ni is..... uhh.... somthing different than that.