• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I feel pretty much the same. My mind is always producing the best ideas, when there's no time to turn them into reality or write them down. And when I finally got the time, my mind is completely empty and I am so lazy, that I delay everything and after a while stress comes again, because of all the things being delayed.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a question to the other ENTPs.

How do you deal with stress?

When I'm stressed (like now, exam time at school), I tend to create even more and even crazier ideas than when I'm not. I become a lot more active. In addition to doing the things I ought to do (like composing and correcting exams now), I will do lots of other things (like creating MBTI comics and pages for my website). I'm unable to sleep, because I've got this drive to realize everything at once.
So, actually, I combat stress by creating more stress. I'm really productive in a stressful period.
When the stressful period is over (the exams corrected, the deadline met,...) I fall in a black hole. I'm frustrated because, now I have time AND all those nice ideas, and I just can't get myself up to realize them because I'm too tired!

I've often done the same, but then I started running away from such things when they became too stressful and troublesome. Admittedly, that's not the best way to deal with things... not at all. By the time I realized that I had become a deluded fool it was a little to late, I had already abandoned everything I had in a gamble that didn't pay off and ended up in a rut that I was trying to avoid.

The thing is, I'm always looking for something better and I'll take any risk to get it sometimes... hell, I'd be up for shipping myself off to japan to start a new life! That'd be sweet! It's also that optimism that makes the ENTP a great entrepreneurial type.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

When I'm stressed (like now, exam time at school), I tend to create even more and even crazier ideas than when I'm not. I become a lot more active. In addition to doing the things I ought to do (like composing and correcting exams now), I will do lots of other things (like creating MBTI comics and pages for my website). I'm unable to sleep, because I've got this drive to realize everything at once.
That, without the part where I do what I was actually supposed to do.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

So, actually, I combat stress by creating more stress. I'm really productive in a stressful period.
When the stressful period is over (the exams corrected, the deadline met,...) I fall in a black hole. I'm frustrated because, now I have time AND all those nice ideas, and I just can't get myself up to realize them because I'm too tired!

I've often done the same, but then I started running away from such things when they became too stressful and troublesome. Admittedly, that's not the best way to deal with things... not at all. By the time I realized that I had become a deluded fool it was a little to late, I had already abandoned everything I had in a gamble that didn't pay off and ended up in a rut that I was trying to avoid.

The thing is, I'm always looking for something better and I'll take any risk to get it sometimes... hell, I'd be up for shipping myself off to japan to start a new life! That'd be sweet! It's also that optimism that makes the ENTP a great entrepreneurial type.

That, without the part where I do what I was actually supposed to do.

That and that and that but without the part of actually having to fulfill any tasks no more cause I am living in a home for special people, as the doctor that cares for me calls it and who gave me that sweet nice white jacket :D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A question for ENTPs
What do you think of ENTJs, INTPs and INTJs?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
A question for ENTPs

Hard to tell, it really depends on the single person behind the tag.

ENTJs I generally get along with well. I dont like if people confuse having a big mouth and overly assertive nature with being ENTJ, but that gladly hasnt happened often yet. Ilike their entrepeneurial spirit and their capability for managing things, whats so hard to tell on an online forum, but in real life I could picture working with an ENTJ manager. On a more personal level, I often experience accord with ENTJ posters on the board, tho sometimes they can have some freakish opinions that dont look so good in public. Like the day a certain member X started to try to find a mate by announcing he's a good father. First I thought, he was joking, I am not sure yet if he wasnt, but he played his role damn good :D.

Well but thats not so bad, with the help of your local ENTP we can even make you ENTJs sociable (haha, lovely arrogant ring :D)

-----

INTJs I do like very much too, they are often the only Ones to get my more introverted jokes. I highly appreciate them for it and I think they have a broad insight into things, helping them to identify with the thinking processes of a lot of people. Only downside is, they happen to be so closed of, it's ultimately hard to tell what they could be thinking. That's why I usually dont get to invo0lved with them. I dont like that attitude. I dont think one has to be as open like a store on Black Friday to be nice, but if I even wouldnt know, if the other person respects me now or not, if I would know after having talked to the person a million times, still like shit, a black wall, its a bit frustrating and scary.

Maybe has to do with my huge need to feel appreciated in whatever I do, mustnt be exactly a downside of the INTJ.

--------

INTPs so far are a versatile bunch on this forum. Ranging from sociopaths, over aliens to respectable people. I like their thoughts on many subjects, they bring fresh and intresting perspectives to a discussion. What's not so nice is when they are limited in their knowledge to only one certain field and try to make you talk about it all the time only. Then it gets boring, but besides that they have proven to be the best sparing partner in the field of dumb jokes (ENTJs and especially INTJs do great jokes also, but you are to political correct to be as good as the intp in it :D).

Ya whats there more to say, INTPs rule, I mean they even have their own forum that a lone proves how mighty they are :D

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
A question for ENTPs

A bit hard to answer. I only know the types of very few real-life people. None of them are ENTJs, INTPs or INTJs. (Though I know an ENTx - J in a lot of aspects, P in a lot of other aspects)

So my answer is based on the description of the types, novel characters and people on the forum.

ENTJ - I like the description. I like the very few examples I know. I don't really like the Stach character in King of Katoren, as he's too perfect (I love the book, though, but the character isn't that interesting). I think it's quite a challenge to write about a compelling, interesting, flawed ENTJ character (who's not a proud and overconfident villain).
I always have this idea ENTJ thoughts leap ahead, while ENTP thoughts leap in every direction and not necessarily ahead. (Though, when the ENTP, by sheer luck, hits the 'ahead' direction, the result will be awesome indeed. If he follows through, that is :doh:)

INTJ - I associate this type with the classic plotting fantasy villain. But then again, in my current writing project, my heroine gets a nice INTJ companion. No experience with real-life INTJs, so that's it.

INTP - If I don't get ENTP, I would probably be an INTP. I've created an interesting INTP character in my last novel - he's a real mentor and his opinions are closest to mine. Again - no experience with real-life INTPs.

I actually like most people. They have to annoy me BIG TIME before I'd start disliking them. Probably there are ENTJs, INTJs and INTPs in my very heterogenous friend group - but I don't know.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the answers. I've always wanted to know what ENTPs generally think of other NT types.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Similar to how you put it. How about the opposite of stress? If I'm left with only a few or one simple task I'll find it hard to motivate myself to complete it and I'll procrastinate. But doing so actually makes sense from the standpoint that stress = motivation. So motivation = a lack of time + a lot of work, which is why I'll in many cases wait until the very last minute to do something. Is that lazy or just really unmotivated by easy tasks?

I feel pretty much the same. My mind is always producing the best ideas, when there's no time to turn them into reality or write them down. And when I finally got the time, my mind is completely empty and I am so lazy, that I delay everything and after a while stress comes again, because of all the things being delayed.

Psh, whoops. I just copied your post without knowing it.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Similar to how you put it. How about the opposite of stress? If I'm left with only a few or one simple task I'll find it hard to motivate myself to complete it and I'll procrastinate. But doing so actually makes sense from the standpoint that stress = motivation. So motivation = a lack of time + a lot of work, which is why I'll in many cases wait until the very last minute to do something. Is that lazy or just really unmotivated by easy tasks?
Isn't this called 'perceiving'?
Judging = getting easy (and hard) tasks out of the way first and then being lazy.
Perceiving = procrastinating and creating new tasks/projects until you've got enough stress to actually fulfill them.

I remember being really frustrated when I was with my cousin.
Me: "What are we going to play?"
Cousin: "Nothing." (She wanted to rest)
Me: "But we have only four hours of playing time! We can't just idle that away!! Why don't we bake a cake? Why don't we make a marble labyrinth? ... Why do I always have to nag you for three hours before we can have fun?!"
I never really understood that last one... I can understand that people have to nag because you don't do your work. Work is boring, so you need the nagging. But play is fun - everybody should say yes from the first time when you are allowed to play, no?
Playtime = time to be active! Why would you do "nothing" when you actually can do everything you want? And no, "resting" is not something you'd possibly want to do (*). That's something you need to do sometimes - but as little as possible...

(*) Now I know better. There are people who see 'resting' as a valid way to spend playtime. But I'm not one of them.

Last edited:

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
How would you tackle the process of writing a research paper?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Assuming you've done the research and have the data...?

I like writing. I write research papers the same way as I write stories.

First write everything you want to say. Don't worry about inconsistency or the order in which you want to present your results. To me, writing generates writing ideas. When I don't have any idea how to formulate something, I just write down what I want to say - in a very bad, ununderstandable English that certainly needs to be corrected. But even if I scratch the whole part, the first try helped me to get it right in the end.

Then I try to make a consistent whole out of it. I think of it like a story: first there is this, this and that knowledge. There is the gap we want to fill. This is our starting question.
To solve it, we use this data and that method and... These are our results. These are the implications. This needs more research. This is different from previous results. This confirms that theory.

In short, I create the body of the article first. Then I write the introduction. Lastly the abstract.

Another trick: read it out loud. This helps to make your sentences simpler. The content of a research paper is usually very difficult, so why make your language difficult as well? (There are a lot of very difficultly written research papers in my field - as if when something is difficult, you have to use difficult words too!)

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
These are really good tips for writing! I'm currently stuck on a paper due in a couple days. I'll constantly hit little roadblocks because I try to write what's perfect in the latest sentence, but just free writing the ideas then synthesizing them is a fantastic idea.

You may have saved my paper. Can I call you research Jesus?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
A question for ENTPs

INTP's are good pals. We think very similarly, and only our passions seem different. The things that really excite INTP's seem only somewhat interesting to me and vice versa.

INTJ's I think are fascinating. I just love how they're thinking is totally warped, and yet they try to express it in a factual or matter-of-fact manner. They entertain me to no end, which is ironic, because most people probably find me more entertaining than your typical INTJ. I guess I really like how we both can come up with off the wall ideas, and yet personality wise we seem like almost opposites. Also even though they are being totally serious I often laugh at the stuff they say and they seem to like that I'm laughing at them (even if they do look a bit confused). I guess they just like the attention and that I'm not running in horror. :huh: :newwink:

ENTJ's are a mixed bag. The bad ones seriously rub me the wrong way as they can come across as imperious control freaks. On the other hand the good ones are like partners in crime. We have a different approach to the world and yet have very similar interests and a fairly similar ideas about what is important. I think there is a mutual respect of each other's differences there.

Anyway that is my take based on my experiences with the three types.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Do ENTP's get attached quickly?
Do they feel it is really hard for people to "understand" them?
Is it unusual for an ENTP to be artistic above "thinking and rational"?

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
^
Well it's bit weird for me. I do get attached to people relatively fast, but i also detach away pretty fast. (This may explain why I hardly have any friends from the past)

I don't think it's hard. if there's a group of 30 people, always at least 3-4 knows what i'm saying. Half the people know i'm saying something but they don't really get it. And a quarter thinks i'm bullshitting nonsense. But to find someone i can really connect is relatively difficult. For that reason i need to live in big cities. like NYC.

I believe utilizing both feelings and logic. Both has their advantages and disadvantages. Every situation calls for different solutions.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

I'll focus on anything that engages my curiosity. I'm not sure if you could call that attachment, because I can become unattached just as quickly. There have been many people and subjects that have stood the test of time for me, so I'd say I'm attached to them ... sure.

I don't think I'm hard to understand, but people tell me I am. People either get where I'm coming from or they just don't at all. But the ones who don't often come to an understanding the longer they know me.

I'm an artist, so no. Ne is our primary function just like it's yours, and that's applied to everything. This is an internet forum and I'm in the mode of addressing a specific topic (mbti), so this doesn't paint an accurate picture of what I'm like. At all times, I'm working on creative projects ... the scientist label doesn't apply to me (though I did love science as a kid, particularly physics).

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
You can... but I'd rather like you just call me Tamske :D
I'm really glad I can help you!

As for me... no. I'm very chatty around strangers but I don't like to make aquaintances because I just can't remember names. I've had more awkward moments than I can count. ("Hi Tamske! Don't you know me any more? Why, we've met there! You still don't know me? I guess you didn't find me that interesting then." Me, thinking "I know that person... we've discussed about that... it was very interesting... but what's his/her NAME?!?! Crap!!!")
If I remember your name, you are my friend. Or my enemy. For ever. You can change between these two, though.

No, why? I'm quite open and easy to understand... I think. You should ask other people about that...

I don't know - but I would call myself "creative" and even "artistic" before "rational". To me, the word "rational" has a nuance of planning and coherence (this can be due to a wrong understanding - English third language - just say so if this is the case).
I guess ENTPs are more 'wild', sometimes hitting on great insights, most of the time combining things that lead to nowhere.
Yes, ENTPs can be artistic and if they can not, I will renounce my ENTP status before I deny my artistic drive!

I'm an artist, so no. Ne is our primary function just like it's yours, and that's applied to everything. This is an internet forum and I'm in the mode of addressing a specific topic (mbti), so this doesn't paint an accurate picture of what I'm like. At all times, I'm working on creative projects ... the scientist label doesn't apply to me (though I did love science as a kid, particularly physics).

I combine science and art :) Mostly my art stems from 'what-if' questions or represent theories... look at my drawings of the functions :D. My novel project is based on a system of alternative laws of physics allowing a fifth, 'magical' force.

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP

I blow up at a certain friend of mine... who I give permission to ignore me if they would like
or
Fume silently...
or
take it out on a paperclip or somthing...

Not particularly...

1) In order to "attach" to anything, I have to fall in love with the Idea in my mind first. Which could be quick, or it could take a long time... that sounded like a cop out.

2) I don't know.

3)psh... art IS thinking and rational. Mastery of any art takes an awefull lot of time and commitment and study.
For example, I like to write music. Which requires a lot of thinking.
I sing and play the piano... those also take a lot of quick thinking...
The playing of any instrument, takes a lot of thinking to do well.

These are really good tips for writing! I'm currently stuck on a paper due in a couple days. I'll constantly hit little roadblocks because I try to write what's perfect in the latest sentence, but just free writing the ideas then synthesizing them is a fantastic idea.

Don't ask me, I suck at writing compared to the people I associate with.

A question for ENTPs
ENTJ: I love my brother. I also love the one other ENTJ I know.

INTP: from the one I know... I wish she'd be a little more secure about her thoughts... they're brilliant... I also don't understand why she hates being hugged.

INTJ: My best friend is an INTJ... :wubbie: