• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Fellow ENTPs,

Do you also feel a permanent longing? Like, I'm sure the future will be better than the present. All the while, I know my two month long vacation (me teacher) will be over soon, which means an end to all the creative projects I'm working on now. I feel stupid for wishing holiday time to go faster, but I can't seem to help myself. I know very well that I'll wish it was holiday still when I'll be back at work. The future or the past, everything is better than the present. Always.

Are you able to enjoy the moment? Or do you need a Se for that?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Fellow ENTPs,

Do you also feel a permanent longing? Like, I'm sure the future will be better than the present. All the while, I know my two month long vacation (me teacher) will be over soon, which means an end to all the creative projects I'm working on now. I feel stupid for wishing holiday time to go faster, but I can't seem to help myself. I know very well that I'll wish it was holiday still when I'll be back at work. The future or the past, everything is better than the present. Always.

Deep breaths, clearing out my internal dialogue, and paying attention to my senses helps me do that. Makes sense to fully immerse in the present, so that there's a frame of reference that better future can be compared to!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fellow ENTPs,

Being an Enneagram 9 works wonders for me in regards to not sacrificing the moment for the future. I have poor access to Se.

What you've written sounds very Enneagram 7, there's always something better in the future which can distract from the moment, mixed with being a Ne dom concepts and projects would be the distraction:

"Sevens' minds are restless and filled with ideas and plans for activities to look forward to. They anticipate the future, virtually licking their lips as they foresee the delicious possibilities that await them. But Sevens do not just think about the future: they get out there and actually make it happen. They live their dreams by throwing themselves into action and putting their plans in motion. With their energy and enthusiasm, they get things going!"

https://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype7

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fellow ENTPs,

In addition to what [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]'s written as a 9w8, I just want to add that what you're describing of this permanent longing sounds somewhat 4-ish ... do you have a 4 fix, or wing in there somewhere?

I'm a core 4, so I do have this feeling of longing for something .. but in my case it's more longing for something that's perpetually missing from my life .. or my being. It's related back to feelings of inadequacy and not being able to get what I want .. or being good enough to get it. Sometimes even reaching the destination never really feels as good as I imagined it.

Sometimes I need to repress my feelings and just go out there and force myself to be functional. Type 4 isn't the most optimistic type out there so my Ne supports that. The possibilities I see are still endless and have a tinge of optimism to them -- but it's more around hope and imagination than actual implementation.

I am able to live in the moment, so to speak .. but it's completely dependent on my mood. I have to be in the right feeling state to do anything. Sometimes [thanks partially to the 3 wing], I am able to repress my own feelings and fight my moods ... but more often than not, I find myself succumbing into a cycle of perpetual agony over would could be and how amazing it will be mixed with feelings of inadequacy and incapability of actually being able to accomplish it.

That said .. I have at times been able to enjoy something in the moment .. but in my case, it usually takes a lot of mental preparation and convincing that it could be good as opposed to naturally feeling that it will be good. I let my intuition [which is mostly negative] rule and ruin many immediate opportunities to be better - and then giving up those opportunities only adds to the perpetually wounded feelings.

Blah.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Fellow ENTPs,

It always baffled me what being in the moment meant until I put myself under a load of work that didn't allow me time to think.

But yes I usually find myself mired in the the past or future but rarely do I feel the present at a very conscious level. I believe though that ENTPs do their greatest work when they are madly captivated by the moment. This is when they have a series of interesting projects all going on at once and allows them to work their Ne and Ti.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Fellow ENTPs,

This usually happens to me when I am not resting enough. When I have done too much in a short period of time. The only real helpers with this are to take a break. Glass of wine, I'd advice a vin doux naturell like the Rivesaltes tuille or a Muscat, tho Bauyuls is nice too, a nice movie or a beach and a book and two weeks of nothing. if not possible try to use multiple weekends.

If you dont refocus in that moment and find back to your inner balance, you'll go on staying restless.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
If you dont refocus in that moment and find back to your inner balance, you'll go on staying restless.
But what if I let those two weeks slip away without writing, and afterwards I find a full-time job and never write again??? *panic*

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Why don't I have a boyfriend/plaything?

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Srsly though. Why do I suck at finding a long term sexual opponent? I need answers people!

Huh? What are you two talking about? *Wonders what's in the milkshake*

What is it you'd like to know?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
But what if I let those two weeks slip away without writing, and afterwards I find a full-time job and never write again??? *panic*

Well when you really love writing you wont quit it ever. I always loved building electrical circuits. Then I nearly electrocuted myself and stopped it for a lot of years. Then I got back to it but were harassed in school for my bad grades in math and physics, got demotivated and stopped the hobby again. And then I choosed to study my hobby, so nobody would be able to take it away from me again.

Of course thats not 1on1 the same with your problem, but the point is if you really love something, you'll keep doing it. Even nowadays when I work a 40 hour week + 20 hours a week of university work, I always take the time to work on my hobby. And thats basically key to everything, time management. And tho many people dont know it, a very important part of management are breaks to refresh your energy. Working like a machine or switching from project to project will in the longrun just ruin your concentration and your objective detachedness towards projects.

I didnt respect that myself for a long time and it ended with me being drained and frustrated about everything and I didnt really understand where that feeling came from.

Why don't I have a boyfriend/plaything?

Well usually when I read posts of yours, you are only talking about having sex with someone. Thats no challenge for an entp ;)

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Well when you really love writing you wont quit it ever. I always loved building electrical circuits. Then I nearly electrocuted myself and stopped it for a lot of years. Then I got back to it but were harassed in school for my bad grades in math and physics, got demotivated and stopped the hobby again. And then I choosed to study my hobby, so nobody would be able to take it away from me again.

Of course thats not 1on1 the same with your problem, but the point is if you really love something, you'll keep doing it. Even nowadays when I work a 40 hour week + 20 hours a week of university work, I always take the time to work on my hobby. And thats basically key to everything, time management. And tho many people dont know it, a very important part of management are breaks to refresh your energy. Working like a machine or switching from project to project will in the longrun just ruin your concentration and your objective detachedness towards projects.

I didnt respect that myself for a long time and it ended with me being drained and frustrated about everything and I didnt really understand where that feeling came from.

Well usually when I read posts of yours, you are only talking about having sex with someone. Thats no challenge for an entp ;)

Oh trust me. There's challenge -just of a different sort.