• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aw, sorry to hear that, Sparrow. :hug:

Can you think of what the temptation trigger was that sucked him back into it the last few times? Is there a way for him to remove himself from that temptation?

(Think of it like getting all the chips, cookies, and ice cream out of the house when you decide you want to lose weight and keep it off. If someone else in the house is a junk food junkie and keeps tons of that stuff around and eats it in front of him, that is going to make it very difficult.)

If it's his friends and they always party like that, that is going to make it really difficult to break free for good. He needs to think long and hard about how to avoid those tempting scenarios in the future.

His trigger for drugs is definitley alcohol. He makes poor decisions when he drinks and is obnoxious as hell lol. He isnt an alcoholic though! I have read somewhere that ENTP's get bored easily, that might be part of it too. He also uses it as an excuse to celebrate...but then again he would want to drugs when he is upset too. But alcohol is always in the mix to start it off...

Next time, if there is a next time I will take [MENTION=8543]Nerd Girl[/MENTION]'s advice and calmly and nicely say something along the lines of PEACE OUT!! If I don't then I will only be enabling him. I have tried to hold him back before (by hiding his keys) and it's gotten scary...its like he turns in to a super crazy immature demon child!

Tell him you love him. Make sure he knows that you really really love him. As ENTPs it's hard not to love people who loves you though ENTPs don't show this much. And if a person an ENTP loves tells that their actions are hurting you, ENTPs would change their ways. Might not readily admit they were wrong, but do realize.

This would surely work on me and I would surely try to change.

Good luck :).

You should also suggest rehab.

Hey doll! Yep your totally right he wouldn't want to hurt me :). I think that's why we had that talk the other day, he can see that it is hurting our relationship. Rehab would be ideal but would never happen....unless he was forced to by law! lol

Thanks again ENTP home skillits :). Can I have some awesomesauce too please? Thanks :newwink:

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can I have some awesomesauce too please?

ENFJs are awesome by default. He's lucky to have a friend like you. Wish I had one too.

Good luck! You are not the first ENFJ saving a misguided ENTP :)

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Do ENTPs tend to have more of a feeling preference than an INTP like me? I have a good friend and despite him taking the MBTI and having a fairly strong thinking preference (77% T) he tends to get angry easily with me with my blunt comments and/or constructive criticism. So whats the deal?

A

A window to the soul

Things just got real :D

Kool!

Do ENTPs tend to have more of a feeling preference than an INTP like me? I have a good friend and despite him taking the MBTI and having a fairly strong thinking preference (77% T) he tends to get angry easily with me with my blunt comments and/or constructive criticism. So whats the deal?

What's your ENTP friend doing when you serve him up 'blunt' comments, INTP-style? Then, does ENTP grab you by the collar and throw you up against the wall? (I'm just curious what your idea of angry looks like because maybe you're reading him wrong.)

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Kool!

What's your ENTP friend doing when you serve him up 'blunt' comments, INTP-style? Then, does ENTP grab you by the collar and throw you up against the wall? (I'm just curious what your idea of angry looks like because maybe you're reading him wrong.)
He gets mad and shows it verbally and emotionally. He would yell and swear about how I am an asshole and also how he doesn't feel we are good friends anymore despite me thinking that he is my best friend and tell him that. I don't consider my "blunt comments" to be bad. I think they can help in a sense if he would try to listen to me. An example is that one day at school he got into an argument with a girl because she was ignoring him. He wanted to get her attention and ask her something but she kept ignoring him so he decided to spray her with hairspray and that led to an argument between the two and both were thrown out of class. My advice to him was that he should just let it go and not let her ignoring him bug him and that he was the one at fault for starting it by resorting to spray her with hairspray to simply get her attention (seriously who does that?). After that advice is given which I did say it in a blunt way by just saying after hearing his side of the story, he gets all mad at me. Though I may have been a bit "harsh?" After his narrative I told him that advice and then he responded with something along the line as "but she started it by ignoring me, which I hate" and then I say "I don't care, you shouldn't do that to people. If someone doesn't want to talk then they don't have to." (probably what he considered the "blunt" part). After I said that he just gets mad at me by swearing and yelling. Now, he is a bit younger than I so I put this into account but I still find his anger somewhat immature even for his age so I wanted to know if it had anything to do with being an ENTP?

A

A window to the soul

He gets mad and shows it verbally and emotionally. He would yell and swear about how I am an asshole and also how he doesn't feel we are good friends anymore despite me thinking that he is my best friend and tell him that. I don't consider my "blunt comments" to be bad. I think they can help in a sense if he would try to listen to me. An example is that one day at school he got into an argument with a girl because she was ignoring him. He wanted to get her attention and ask her something but she kept ignoring him so he decided to spray her with hairspray and that led to an argument between the two and both were thrown out of class. My advice to him was that he should just let it go and not let her ignoring him bug him and that he was the one at fault for starting it by resorting to spray her with hairspray to simply get her attention (seriously who does that?). After that advice is given which I did say it in a blunt way by just saying after hearing his side of the story, he gets all mad at me. Though I may have been a bit "harsh?" After his narrative I told him that advice and then he responded with something along the line as "but she started it by ignoring me, which I hate" and then I say "I don't care, you shouldn't do that to people. If someone doesn't want to talk then they don't have to." (probably what he considered the "blunt" part). After I said that he just gets mad at me by swearing and yelling. Now, he is a bit younger than I so I put this into account but I still find his anger somewhat immature even for his age so I wanted to know if it had anything to do with being an ENTP?

I'm in a hurry, so I'm piecing together some descriptions that I found. I hope this helps! One description said, "if the feeling part of the ENTP is neglected, they may not value other people's input, or may become overly harsh and aggressive." Based on my own experience, the tertiary Fe becomes more prominent with age. Also, what you're describing could be a stress response or ISFJ shadow. I pieced together some descriptions I found about what that looks like:

If an ENTP feels frustrated/stressed they may:

• become brash, rude and abrasive
  • criticize others, especially those who seem to them to be inefficient or incompetent
  • rebellious and combative
  • scattered – unable to focus
  • pedantic about unimportant details
  • doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
  • expressing emotions in an intensive and uncontrolled way
  • being very sensitive to criticism

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm in a hurry, so I'm piecing together some descriptions that I found. I hope this helps! One description said, "if the feeling part of the ENTP is neglected, they may not value other people's input, or may become overly harsh and aggressive." Based on my own experience, the tertiary Fe becomes more prominent with age. Also, what you're describing could be a stress response or ISFJ shadow. I pieced together some descriptions I found about what that looks like:

If an ENTP feels frustrated/stressed they may:

• become brash, rude and abrasive
  • criticize others, especially those who seem to them to be inefficient or incompetent
  • rebellious and combative
  • scattered – unable to focus
  • pedantic about unimportant details
  • doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
  • expressing emotions in an intensive and uncontrolled way
  • being very sensitive to criticism
Yeah... that sounds like him in a nutshell. So it does have to do with him being an ENTP however, a real "stressed" one. So do I just deal with it until he is less stressed or is there an effective way to get rid of his "stress" without being so emotional all the time since I am not good with being very emotional with others, even friends. :/

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
HEY ENTPs
how do you guys feel about INTPs?

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
This may have been asked before, but I didn't have time to read all 1209 posts. ENTPs are stereotyped to have short attention spans manifested by hopping from one idea to the next and never seeing things through to the end.

What is the typical time frame that an interests takes to dissolve? Are we talking hours, days, weeks, months, years?

A

A window to the soul

Yeah... that sounds like him in a nutshell. So it does have to do with him being an ENTP however, a real "stressed" one. So do I just deal with it until he is less stressed or is there an effective way to get rid of his "stress" without being so emotional all the time since I am not good with being very emotional with others, even friends. :/

When I'm stressed I lack patience for anything negative. I only want to hear positive attitudes and outlooks. Since I can almost predict what people are going to say about my poor conduct, serious questions or complaints about it should be redirected to my secretary, which is apparently my Mom because that's where everyone seems to run crying. When I eventually get around to the tertiary Fe guilt trip for that, please don't act surprised; just humor me and go with it. A perfect day in my life is where people remain calm and considerate, even when I can't. :\ If there's anything I can do to redeem myself, please put your demands in writing with clearly stated deadlines in a simple bulleted format, signed with x's and o's. Be not afraid, kissing up with sincere appreciation always scores big points! Should I miss a demand, I will not be held responsible for anything not on the list. Lord knows I will avoid that type of extra responsibility at any cost when I’m extremely stressed. (All of this applies to when I'm stressed and is subject to change, of course.) :D

Riva's recommendation to Sparrow on the previous page may be humorous, but it's not that far fetched. On a normal day, ENTP's like bluntness. It's my personal opinion that when people are stressed out, that's when they really need people to care about them. I think some of the best ways to show you care about an ENTP are through positive (yes, blunt) communication, through trust, through entertaining their ideas, and having their backs when they're in a state of fight or flight. I think ENTP's will eventually give back as much, if not more than what you give to them.

What also might help you, is to make a conscience effort to imagine yourself in your friend's shoes. When you offer up constructive criticism; especially, during stressful times, try to balance it out with positive recognition. That applies to any type.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This may have been asked before, but I didn't have time to read all 1209 posts. ENTPs are stereotyped to have short attention spans manifested by hopping from one idea to the next and never seeing things through to the end.

What is the typical time frame that an interests takes to dissolve? Are we talking hours, days, weeks, months, years?

Based on personal experience, it depends ENTIRELY on the object of my interest.

The more complex, far-fetching, impossible, challenging, all-encompassing, open-future, fast-paced and constantly changing, crowd-attracting, proving authority wrong, etc. ... the longer the attention span.

You realize it's true for everybody, it's not up to type. The specific qualities of the object needed to sustain interest might be type-specific.

A

A window to the soul

The more complex, far-fetching, impossible, challenging, all-encompassing, open-future, fast-paced and constantly changing, crowd-attracting, proving authority wrong, etc. ... the longer the attention span.

+1, Sounds exciting. Well said.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay, this is going to be a long post with lots of answers!

Is there anyway to help an ENTP out of drug/alcohol abuse?
I don't know an answer for the specific question, but I also read the comment about him saying "I try and after a while things go back to usual". This reminds me of my permanent trying to "get the work done first" - it works for a while, then I forget about it and things are still okay, then a disaster happens and I'll vow (again) that I'll do it better next time.
It is difficult to change a habit. First thing he needs to realize (and it seems he does) is that he's struck in a habit/behaviour he doesn't like. And he also realizes he can't get out of it on his own. So he needs help.
He doesn't want help from a rehab center. Maybe he'll accept help from you. Maybe you'd need to come up with some rules and write them down. Make sure the goal is worthy enough to follow these rules.
I'll take my own prepare-lessons-first project as an example: my goal is to get my free time in huge chunks instead of a few stolen minutes here and there.
My first approach was "you don't write until your lessons are prepared" which didn't work: I did all sorts of things which weren't writing because I hadn't prepared my lessons. End result was that I was ill prepared AND didn't write.
Now I really forbid myself anything but work until lessons are prepared. If my brain hurts and I'm unable to do the mental work of lesson preparing, I do manual work. Work is allowed. End result is not so much more free time, but well prepared lessons and a (more or less) clean house. Which I prefer to the first result.
I'm not 100% good yet, but I'm still trying.
And after a while I added another rule to that: "you don't say to your ESTJ hubby that your lessons are ready if they aren't 100% ready. No 'ready but I need to print this out' things." Again, no 100% good yet, but I feel good whenever I succeed and I use that as a fuel to tell myself the next time: "you can do it and you'll be happy"
Alcohol and drugs abuse is, of course, not only a habit to break. There's also the dependence.

what were you guys like as kids?
Imaginative.
do/did you have poor impulse control? do you have a quick firey temper? what do other people/ or your parents do to make you crazy?
I had quite some impulse control problems. Things that set me off: when I perceived something as wrong or not fair.
Eg. a girl not waiting for her turn to go to the bathroom (afterwards, I heard she was sick... so I was in the wrong)
Eg. getting a more severe punishment when, in my eyes, the misdeed was less severe (I heard half of the instructions, my friend heard nothing; still I got the longer time-out. With hindsight: probably the teacher thought the friend didn't hear them because of my talking. My childish self wondered whether she should have lied about hearing half of the instructions to get a lesser punishment)
After a while, my childish self thought that the rule actually was: "whenever there is a disagreement, I am in the wrong"... and I tried so hard to "win" just once, that in most of the occasions I lost much more.

what did you wanna be when you grew up?
Fairy. Inventor. Not grow up at all and play with marbles and legoes forever. Just become more handy and more smart, in order to be able to build ever better lego structures. I wanted to become a grown-up in order that I wouldn't have to wait/nag a grown-up when I wanted to use the oven. But I didn't want to become a boring adult who doesn't want to bake cakes any more. I always had this idea that things were not right: people who were interested in baking cakes weren't allowed to use the oven, while people who were allowed to use the oven had lost their interest in baking cakes!
I never wanted to be a writer, because I thought it as impossible. Writers were born, not made. I was a normal person, so I couldn't be a writer.
did you do better with structure? clear guidelines? do you need to know the why behind the rules for them to be of any value?
Yes, depends, no.
The challenge is not in defying the rules. The challenge is in getting what you want while following the rules. I needed somebody to tell me "now make your homework".
I answered "depends" on the guidelines, because it really depends. I don't need an algorithm. I need to know what's expected from me.
Eg. "Write a story of 2 pages" is less challenging than "Write a mystery story of 2 pages and a silver key needs to play a role." I prefer the latter, but both are okay for me.
But "Put these scenes in the right order to make a fairy tale of 2 pages, follow the general rule of fairy tales, and let your imagination run riot" made me go berserk. Come on - there were two villains in your scenes, how can I make a consistent tale out of that in only 2 pages? And why do I have to use a dragon and not a living mountain as villain? And why, why, why do you mock me with that "let your imagination run riot" instruction if I'm only allowed to choose the color of the dragon's scales?

Maybe yes... Normally, I'm okay with criticism. But if I expect praise and I get criticism, I feel inadequate. It's like getting "you can do better" when you've done the best you could. I try to stay cool, but I've experienced that I have to vent about it somewhere. If not, my venting can get loose at an inappropiate moment.
Eg. my mother criticized my new manuscript. While I actually wanted it, I asked her to do it; I got totally upset by it. With hindsight, I realised I hadn't gotten past previous criticism by another person yet... Which was embarrassing and not fair with respect to mother. I'm still sorry.

HEY ENTPs how do you guys feel about INTPs?
I think they're cool, I'd want to say to them, don't feel ashamed of your quirks of 'lack of friends' - you don't need to be boringly normal, and you only need real friends who don't care about popularity. (But probably you don't feel ashamed at all. Maybe it's just that you guys don't tell everybody about your strange interests like we do...)

Like [MENTION=13880]Istbkleta[/MENTION] says, it depends. Another feature is that some interests come back after a while. Recurring interests: the best way to see some of all those great projects through the end.

R

Riva

Echoes that. I :heart: you and your post, Riva. Does this mean you heart me too? :D [LOL]

:hug:

.........:hug:.........:hug:
.....:hug::hug:...:hug::hug:
...:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
....:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
.....:hug::hug::hug::hug:
........:hug::hug::hug:
...........:hug::hug:
...............:hug:

Things just got real :D

Hey doll! Yep your totally right he wouldn't want to hurt me :). I think that's why we had that talk the other day, he can see that it is hurting our relationship. Rehab would be ideal but would never happen....unless he was forced to by law! lol

Thanks again ENTP home skillits :). Can I have some awesomesauce too please? Thanks :newwink:

You people are seriously hurting my carefully constructed macho persona on this forum with all those hugs and sugary comments.

And Sparrow, you do know that I am a 6 feet tall, muscle bound, black dude don't you? :ninja:

When you call me doll, it makes me feel so NFish :blush:.

:laugh:

But I don't mind :shock:.

A

A window to the soul

HEY ENTPs
how do you guys feel about INTPs?

I like INTP's. Not sure how or why it happens, but when we put our heads together, we start critiquing stuff... as a team.

Eg. my mother criticized my new manuscript. While I actually wanted it, I asked her to do it; I got totally upset by it. With hindsight, I realised I hadn't gotten past previous criticism by another person yet... Which was embarrassing and not fair with respect to mother. I'm still sorry.

I've been there. It's the dramatic delivery, the tone that my Mom sometimes has when she's giving me critical feedback. (Feedback, per my request.) It'll knock me down a notch.

I love reading your posts, btw. :)

You people are seriously hurting my carefully constructed macho persona on this forum with all those hugs and sugary comments.
And Sparrow, you do know that I am a 6 feet tall, muscle bound, black dude don't you?

When you call me doll, it makes me feel so NFish :blush:.

:laugh:

But I don't mind :shock:.

I see you drank the Kool'aide; glad you finally joined us (in the mush)! :hug: I would exercise Fe by offering you a muffin, but it looks like we're all out. Dang INP's falling down on the job! I guess I'll have to bake them myself... -huffs!-

EDIT: The ENTP's might be getting too good at this.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

hours days weeks months years for what ?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do ENTPs think that being pushy, condescending and somewhat belittling is a good way to be flirtatious or simply friendly?

I'm kind of starting to get that impression, and it really does not work well with me :huh: