• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Ask an ENTP!

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I'll...resist...these...charms!

You can't resist those charms.

...ahhhhh!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to devise a public toilet elevating crutch/seat thingy that will support me above the seat of the toilet itself without making it touch for me and allows me to take a decent crap without running into toiletseat infections. I've got some wood and metal frames laying about, but I'm not sure that would do a good job. Especially the wood, it's pretty rough wood.

What construction and materials do you suggest?

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I want to devise a public toilet elevating crutch/seat thingy that will support me above the seat of the toilet itself without making it touch for me and allows me to take a decent crap without running into toiletseat infections. I've got some wood and metal frames laying about, but I'm not sure that would do a good job. Especially the wood, it's pretty rough wood.

A carbon fiber frame with a velvet seat.

Qre:us

It's all anecdote, so it really just depended on who was around me, and what kind of a relationship we established. And, most importantly, who they are as a person, beyond their type.

Question 1: Which NT types do most ENTP get along with? Why?

My grandfather was an INTP (my INFP mother's father); I loved sharing silence with him, as much as I loved listening to him drone on about a philosophy or thought or idea, in minute detail, because the way he spoke of it, was actually really interesting, if you chose to be actively listening. I really found it amusing how detached with "daily" life he was, and how inconsequential he saw most things that would have others scurrying like a chicken with their head cut off. E.g., him getting a SUBSTANTIAL amount in change back from grocery shopping, and going through the motions of putting it in his pants pocket, only to have missed the pocket completely, while the change falls to the ground, for me to gleefully pick up, and him not even noticing or caring as he continues to walk on. The absent-minded professor. :heart: However, because of this aura of "absent-mindedness", not really fully engaged in the social sphere, he can seem kind of stagnant with life and its movement. The social awkwardness was not always endearing, sometimes, it was, "REALLY? Really? You do realize you are not only living for yourself, but your actions have ripple effects in the social sphere. Wake up, and get on with some of your obligations!" I felt this especially on behalf of my ISFJ grandma, who had to thus, carry the burden of a lot of the daily living maintenance, on BOTH their behalf. And, his introvertedness was sometimes draining to me. He could also have a tinge of pessimism and this aura of not really caring about any one or any thing unless they were an idea to be thought about. It almost seemed like he would have done well to live as a hermit, so that the side-effects of his ways didn't inadvertantly burden my ISFJ grandma (who could have spoken up, but, chose not to, because she loved him and knew him enough, and accepted her life as that reality).

ENTP - I am, therefore, I become.

My SO is INTJ. He's like a mirror reflection of me. We each are, in turn, frustrated, puzzled, and, intrigued, by how the other could POSSIBLY go through life the way they are. He challenges me, as I challenge him, which I love. We have issues with being emotionally vulnerable with each other, but, slowly and steadily, the child in us, afraid of getting hurt, is laying bare to the other. I get frustrated by his patronizing ways, and he gets frustrated because he can't corral me (although a J-part in him, wants to try, because things would go that much more efficiently, if he could). In turn, he gets frustrated because if he patronizes me, I mock him and his SERIOUS BUSINESS IS SERIOUS and, through action, point out how flawed his Te-plans really are (Ti is really good at finding gaps). But, we're getting better at leaving those childish things behind. We are very acutely aware of each other's weaknesses, even though we know each other's strengths, the other's weaknesses are more deeply realized. Which, in a positive turn, allows for much growth. Substantial growth, once commitment is there. And, we can be chillike together, like play-mates, because Ni gets shyly intrigued by Ne's flamboyance and seeming outward self-assuredness, and wants to join too, at first, protesting, then, hesitantly so, with a bit of goading, and Ne is all too happy with a playmate, and appeases Ni's need for bringing it out of its shell, because the payoff for Ne is great, because with Ni having the capacity to be so wacky and weird and quirky, once it gets going, there's nothing more motivating for Ne....The different sameness intrigues us. :tongue:

I have a close ENTJ friend, and it's weird, because even though they're xNTJ, and they see the same issues in me as the INTJ (INTJ refers to me, as: Personification of Chaos, or other such names that inevitably includes the word CHAOS), there is still a respect of equals for each other. But, because there is almost a recognition of strengths in each other, our weaknesses are sometimes dusted under the rug. It's as if we want to keep seeing the other as this enigma of strength. We would thus probably make formidable enemies if things took a turn for the worse. But, I can't see that happening. We're both very open to hearing the root of where the other is coming from. She has such a heart of gold, so accomodating to everyone, and getting stuff done, but, firm in establishing her boundaries (in a very determined, diplomatic way)......I respect her, greatly. One thing though, about her, she panicks way faster than I do, like the INTJ, but, unlike the INTJ, she has way less of a "vision" of how to get out of the rut. She just keeps doing, hoping to get a hit, once panic sets in. She can also get emotional, but unlike my ENFJ friend, her emotions seem almost juvenile to me (somewhat like the INTJ, but more so).

Question 2: Which NF types do you have conflicts with easily? Why?

My mother is an INFP, and I :wubbie: her, although she irritates me at times, with the way she reaches conclusions. When we fight, it's rare but all the more scathing for it, where I get really really aggravated by her bringing up the past, in what I would consider, irrelevant-to-the-topic manner., with the aim to either hurt with a zing or show a depth of her own hurt. And she tends to move away from the main topic of discussion, without needing a clear-cut resolution for it (which I really need). However, overall, we get along quite well. I am charmed by her "Ne-musings" as she is mine, and we find the simplest things in life to have a life of its own, with its hidden charms, which is awesome when we converse. Because, unlike with others, where talking about each other's day seems almost like a narrative, ours are filled with hidden meanings, charms, colours, wonder, shared laughs, and just this great aura of optimism. Which I really really appreciate. So, my relaying to her that I had to "walk in the rain to work today", goes from a boring story (as it would be, if I relayed it to most others), to quirky little observations, connections, metaphors, and all things layered and fun about life and its charms and sense of wonderment. The way she bounces back my Ne to me. She is a dreamer and, although I am not "seemingly" as much of a dreamer as her, because I have an "edge" to me, a sense of dry reality; with her, I can explore that side of mine, with abandon.

One of my best friend is an ENFJ, and her and I are very in-sync with each other. We're like each other's soul-mates. It's kind of awe-inspiring how we get each other's most obtuse, out-there thoughts and musings, and sum up exactly what the other is meaning, so, very well. She is a great therapist for me. :D But, when we fight, people clear the area (I get more and more cold, flippant and derisive and she gets more and more emotionally volatile; it's not pretty, and we're both extremely stubborn). She is one person who can keep up with me in a debate (speaking in terms of longevity, like hours and hours, turning into days). I do get irritated sometimes by how much she cares about what others think of her, how her image is perceived (in, what I consider, inconsequential spheres, in life).

Had a really close INFJ friend. I liked how deeply she cared, and was accomodating, but there was a detachment to her. And, she reminded me a bit of Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh), which made it draining to be around her for me, as an ENTP. It was as if she deemed herself to be Sisyphus, when she took stock of the world, and her lot in life. It got tiring. I still think of her fondly, and wish her well, but, it was too much effort trying to break through the wall, and "proving" myself worthy to get into her inner sanctum, where it felt like an unbalanced relationship. And a test. So I drifted apart. We still connect every so often, but it's on a superficial level.

My other best friend's sister is ENFP, and she and I often *get* each other's train of thought (like the ENFJ, but, without the depth of soul-understanding). She, like my mother, does irritate me with how she reaches her conclusions sometimes, i.e., my perception of it being irrational (and I sometimes think it's selfish, which is not something that I think about my INFP mom's way of reaching the conclusion even if both seem irrational to me). She also has very grandoise ideas about herself, which are not really based in reality, and although we are similar in this way, while I come from a place of self-deprecation when I talk like that, she seems to genuinely believe it. So, I see her as somewhat superficial, in this regard. She also *sees* the good in everyone, when it would do her well to be a bit more wary and self-preserving, and it irritates me because, undoubtedly, it comes to bite her in the ass, and we get to hear the woes or help her clean it up. She seems like a bit of a people-pleaser to me, i.e., appealing to the emotions of others, but it rings superficial for me,and at times, reads as inadvertant manipuation. But, she is getting better at it. She is also not very reliable, like if she borrows from someone, whereas it bothers me greatly that I need to return what I owe/borrowed, it doesn't register with her. And, even though she pours her heart (feelings) into you, or a discussion.........it could end just as abruptly, and she doesn't seem affected to the degree to which she projected, in the first place. There's a dissonance there. Theatrical, like an act? But, we are awesome in bouncing the whackiest ideas off of each other, and keeping up with each other, and she's great in conflict-resolution with my ESFJ best friend (her sister), because we both get where we're coming from, especially with skipped steps (without needing an explicit detailed explanation of how we reached from A to K). Although, she does get tired of my "way of thinking", and the dry explanations (Ti-flavoured), because, although her's may not always add up, rationally, it is thus, more colourful, as it appeals to the other's emotions.But, there's almost a recognition of each other, as similar, yet vastly different, and a "SO CLOSE, but, MISS" in terms of establishing a deeper, more meaningful bond. When we converse, it's almost as if it's parallel, rather than meeting at a common point of introspection. It's hard to explain, it's as if we're so similar that the MISSES throws us off, and thus, really irritate the other, because inevitably, we realize Fi versus Ti, while our expectations of the other is to always just *get* it, BECAUSE we are so similar. She's got a huge heart, and her trusting, optimistic nature is quite inspiring, though. I think our dynamic has more to do with each other, as individuals, rather than our types really factoring into it, and where she is at the stage in her life, and where I am.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

What you need to do is create a magnetized butt-cover of one polarization and then make the toilet seat with the opposite polarization and voila, you have a hover-seat. Like this supposed floating bed in Amsterdam.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Let's say you found yourself unemployed and out of school for a few weeks.

What would you do to prevent yourself going crazy from boredom?

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Invent something? :biggrin:

Brainstorm ideas for what to do, cuz you might never have that kind of free time for the rest of your life, and there might be things you wish you had done when you had time....

A

A window to the soul

Instead of being elevated, maybe you just need a layer of tissue between you and the seat. We can figure out a way to automate the dispensing of this product... :hardatwork:

8b2da44d-46b4-48ca-8eed-45558b090ea1.jpg

09723.jpg

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Invent something? :biggrin:

Brainstorm ideas for what to do, cuz you might never have that kind of free time for the rest of your life, and there might be things you wish you had done when you had time....

Y'know, I read this and was like "but I don't KNOW what to invent!" and then I just went for a walk and thought about it and came up with 3 different things to help optimize and improve my apartment with. Definitely a great use of my free time.

That's (kind of) inventing, right? :laugh:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
These are all great toilet seat ideas.

Personally, I keep a stack of logs beside my desk. I bring one with me to the restroom and set it down across the toilet seat. It's just like being out in nature.

:yes:

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I was also thinking you could just install a squat toilet in your house (like in China).

Although they smell something fierce because they don't have that fancy odour trapping bend in the pipe that western toilets have (instead it's just a direct line to the sewers). If you can come up with a solution to that you might have the perfect squat toilet. Well, ok, add splash guards to either side of the foot grooves (maybe just a problem for teh ladies) and then it would be the perfect squat toilet.

Question, though: why don't you want to sit on the toilet seat? It's not really that unsanitary (ie. many more everyday things are much more unsanitary).

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
No idea about real-life people, because I don't know their types. But maybe it means something that I really struggled to get a realistic and nice ENTJ into my fiction, and that quite some of my villains are ENFJs...
Let's say you found yourself unemployed and out of school for a few weeks.
What would you do to prevent yourself going crazy from boredom?
Writing. If Ne doesn't work properly, try to sleep until it does.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

INTPs taste like cotton candy, what's not to like?

Most often they are a quieter more technical version of me which means I can talk about the random stuff I enjoy and they'll listen, interjecting to add relevant data, and all this without thinking I'm crazy.

They can be quite de-motivational, though.

I dislike conflict, while I can be resistant with letting go of "winning" so to speak, I will usually not take it to the point of conflict. Allowing something to get to the point of conflict is also an indication of my investment in the other person, if I do not care about them I'll just walk away.

The root of many issues with INFPs (from my perspective) is their stubbornness and lack of directness. With INFJs it tends to be more about my not living up to their standards or expectations. The former bugs me while the latter can bum me out. Ergo, conflict with INFJs bothers me more.

I've not experienced conflict with ENFPs, it seems easy to keep the focus on "fun". ENFJs are a mixed bag that I either respect instantly, or clash with instantly.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you feel that you use Ne in a different way to ENFPs? I've read the descriptions of some affirmed ENFPs and they seem quite strange to me. But Ne is an information gathering function, so it would have perhaps have little impact on the development of said information, like the start of an assembly line?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you feel that you use Ne in a different way to ENFPs? I've read the descriptions of some affirmed ENFPs and they seem quite strange to me. But Ne is an information gathering function, so it would have perhaps have little impact on the development of said information, like the start of an assembly line?
I have this assembly line view of the functions. Ne looks at the outside world for connections and possibilities, Ti filters out what's okay and gives feedback. It's rather an assembly room instead of a line. I'd try to come up with fitting ideas, not just random ones. And to make connections, you've got to use your experience too. You can't see the rim of water in a glass as an example of adhesion and cohesion if you don't know what adhesion and cohesion are. Why is it scientific theories rather than poetry filling my memory? I think it has something to do with Ti being there in that room.
I'm not saying our Feeling cousins can't do science, of course. Everybody is welcome to do science and be amazed by it.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The root of many issues with INFPs (from my perspective) is their stubbornness and lack of directness.

Accurate.

The problem stems from the fact ENTPs consider "directness" to be a laudable quality - they use it themselves, therefore everyone else should; that's how things get done properly! This isn't the case and INFPs secretly know this. Directness works...but only sometimes. Since you don't believe this/respect this line of thinking, we are likely to withdraw and hold back because that seems like the most tactful thing to do. We're saying something you don't like, so we're going to stop saying it.

I think this annoys ENTPs because it appears to them like we are retreating in a cowardly way. We're not, but then again we don't feel a need to inform you of this subtle difference because you might not care about it anyway. Hence - silence. The problem might be that it feels to you (i.e. ENTPs) like we are pulling the rug from under your feet; we've just ruined everything by being too emotional, or something.

If you want to improve your relationship with INFPs (you might not, howeveer!) I would suggest you focus on the beauty or genius of a process/theory/discipline you both like. I have had many discussions with technically-minded ENTXs about the beauty of viaducts or the genius of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, for example. Personally, I love techincal/logical things because I think "Wow - somebody actually thought of that!"

INFPs in general enjoy seeing acts of creativity no matter the field in which it occurs.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Better question:

Does anyone here dislike identifying with the ENTP description?

Last edited:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dear ENTP Nation...

I was recently invited into an online rpg by some friends, and I obliged. A long-standing (and grinning) ENTP male friend immediately dragged my avatar into bed and had his way with me several times before I knew what was happening. I was surprised and found myself doubled over laughing.

Question: How can I shield my avatar from sexful ENTP predation? I don't really want to defend myself, but I do at least want to put up a good fight. This rpg does not furnish guns or fly swatters.